The Beginnings of Common Sense Rising from the Gloom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aberdeen city buses run on Hydrogen

They have 20 or so hydrogen fuel cell buses in London, but the vast majority are hybrid or electric.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think those are the same ones that they have in London:

They've had a small number of single deckers in London for ages - this one I snapped back in 2005 has a 2003 plate:

Fuel cell bus 1.jpg

Fuel cell bus 2.jpg

"No emissions".....hmm....not directly from the bus perhaps (particulate matter aside from tyres brakes etc).......but plenty elsewhere from making the bus and the hydrogen to push it along. I dont think any vehicle should be able to display a badge saying "Zero Emissions" or similar....its just not true.

"No emissions".....hmm....not directly from the bus perhaps

In my second shot you can clearly see a plume of steam coming from the exhaust, so clearly "no emissions" isn't true (in fact that's why I took the picture). No harmful emissions, sure (excluding tyre & brake particulates again), but that's not what it says :)

As far as emissions are concerned, let's not forget the tyres.

Particulates from tyres is going to be the next big bone of contention, the interfering, nosey, do gooding busy bodies are all geared up for it . . . . .

Note
Yes, agreed, NO vehicle should labelled 0 emissions, it ain't possible, the emissions are there, just from different sources or have been push back down the through life chain

As far as emissions are concerned, let's not forget the tyres.

Just as an aside I was down in Surrey yesterday and while there walked to the local post office & back along a fairly busy road. Lots of EVs going past, and it was really obvious that the SUV style ones in particular (Jag, Tesla Model X, etc.) were no quieter than IC vehicles - nearly all the sound from all of them was tyre noise. I guess they are pretty heavy vehicles, which doesn't help. Most IC cars have virtually no engine/exhaust noise when trundling along at 30.

Reactions: 190
Just as an aside I was down in Surrey yesterday and while there walked to the local post office & back along a fairly busy road. Lots of EVs going past, and it was really obvious that the SUV style ones in particular (Jag, Tesla Model X, etc.) were no quieter than IC vehicles - nearly all the sound from all of them was tyre noise. I guess they are pretty heavy vehicles, which doesn't help. Most IC cars have virtually no engine/exhaust noise when trundling along at 30.

In the early days of EV's I was quite encouraged by the likes of the BMW i3 which seemed properly engineered using large diameter but narrow section tyres to minimise rolling resistance and noise. Just what should be done for an efficient EV. Now large 2 tonne plus SUV's with huge wide tyres have reverted to the familiar form before function fashion statements such that their eco credentials as an EV don't impress me in the least.

Yep, to put it bluntly any type of noise is wasted energy!

Well looking at the pictures of that hydrogen bus in London it looks like they fitted it to a older bus did they engineer it to the old engine?

Well looking at the pictures of that hydrogen bus in London it looks like they fitted it to a older bus did they engineer it to the old engine?

It's a fuel cell bus, so electric powered. I took the pictures early 2005 ... 53 plate ran up to April 2004, so it was probably not much more than a year old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom