The Best and Worst in Folk - Winter !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
:) We have seen how the recent bad weather has brought out the community spirit in folks - looking in on neighbors and those who can get about in 4x4's offering lifts - but the local paper for Burnley,East Lancs. - has reported incidents where one rural village had its salt bins raided :devil: by 'townies' - one woman drove from 10 miles away and started to fill a bucket when she was challenged and another cheeky blighter pulled up in a 4x4 with a trailer and shoveled grit into the trailer - as there is unlikely to be any replenishment - you can understand their point - once trapped on the M5 during the torrential flooding of a couple of years ago in a 12 mile tailback - I saw what happens when normal order gives way - everyman for himself !

Our council has taken the 'local' salt bins away, nice to know that they follow the 'Duty of Care'.

We went for a walk with our 2 year old & the dogs this afternoon, and loads of people have shovelled all the snow from their drive straight onto the pavement ... forcing pedestrians to walk in the road :doh: :wallbash:

I read on either here or the BBC that in some countries it is your civic duty to clear the pavement outside your house of snow.

I quite like the thought of that, everyone chipping in to help others.

Interesting article in FT on this subject today.

I read on either here or the BBC that in some countries it is your civic duty to clear the pavement outside your house of snow.

I quite like the thought of that, everyone chipping in to help others.

In FT today,there was an article about this.In NY if you do not clear the area fronting your property,after several hours,it can mean between $100 - $1000 fine - typically in Germany they approach the subject in a more civic manner and an area not less than 70cm - 120mm must be cleared between the hours of 7.00am and 8.00pm - in Japan,as you would expect it is considered bad manners not to do it and neighbors shown their disdain.

There are bye-laws in Edinburgh compelling just that - pavements to be cleared of snow , by 7am , I believe .

I hear that in West Lothian , where my mother lives , salt bins have been emptied by a group of Asians , who are now going round residents doors , selling the salt in bags due to all retailers being sold out of the stuff ! I don't know for certain the truth or otherwise of this , but certainly sounds like a very unpleasant practice .

I think I read somewhere that if one clears snow from in front of one's house/business and a member of the public then goes **** over tit and suffers injury, you are liable.

If they were to do so on the fallen snow, no come back.

Anyone know how true this is?

I've dug our cul de sac out four times so far, we have a slope on the road up to our house (and 9 others) that is steep enough to be problematic when it snows.

I have to admit last Tuesday when the snow was forcast I grabbed every available receptacle I had, filled them with salt from the bin at the bottom of our road and hoarded it so I could keep our road clear.

About two hours after I'd done that the salt bin was emptied by non residents in an ajoining road to salt their drives.

It now won't be refilled until the snow is gone.....

I tried to buy grit and called every DIY shop in the area. They all said they had run out and the council had taken all their supplies so they didn't know when they would get more.

So since I pay my council tax and the grit is for the people of the city to use I have got myself a couple of buckets from a grit bin.

I don't see anything wrong with that personally.

There isn't a grit bin on every road - they are not just for the people in the street they are on - they are for anyone nearby.

Grit bin contents are for use on communal areas (as Mudster) not for you own private driveway/paths

I think I read somewhere that if one clears snow from in front of one's house/business and a member of the public then goes **** over tit and suffers injury, you are liable.

Not sure if there is any truth in it but that is the same excuse I get when I ask neighbours why they never clear the snow on the public footpath outside their houses. In fact one of the neighbours warned me against it when saw me clearing the path.

Our council has taken the 'local' salt bins away, nice to know that they follow the 'Duty of Care'.

I'm having a battle with my council over this. There are 3 hills that cover all the entries/exits to my village. There used to be a salt bin at each, but they were removed as a cost saving exercise.

They agreed to deliver some piles of salt, but to date it has been 'too icy'. Didn't stop rubbish collection, so well done to them, at least.

We've also dug out our cul de sac out about four times so far, it's a small block paved road leading to house (and 11 others). It is also steep enough to be problematic for rear wheel drive when it snows.

We also tried to buy grit salt recently, we're keen to chip together to buy a grit bin and some salt - must find a lockable one then ;)

Everything I hate about current mindset !!!!

:crazy: This is everything that makes you want to sell up and move abroad - I blame the American's for this - daytime tv is full of the sort of claims crap - we are a poorer nation morally for it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom