The best MB investment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonye

MB Enthusiast
Car
Sl320 2000
Ok, here we go.
You have up to 10k to spend on a car and fixing problems.
Can you double what you spend in 5 years with a MB, Classic or other.

I'm going for an R129 as a starter.

I very much doubt you can double up in 5 year's with any marque especially with a £10k budget imo 😉

NOW THAT IS CLASS

Here's another
20180809-143834.jpg
[/url]

To be fair, double in 5 years is pretty easy if you know what to buy.

R170 I think are rock bottom, wouldn’t be hard to see double on cars that are already cheap?

R129 has probably almost doubled in the last five years already for good examples?

208 CLK cabriolet?

Can’t see R230 getting much cheaper but you’ll probably spend the purchase price in repairs before you see any profit! :)

Buy something you like/know/can afford/enjoy, if it makes money in time then that is a bonus :thumb:

5 year's ago then i would agree,as things are now its quite hard

R230 getting much cheaper
Couldn't agree more, I'm thinking about getting one as a project for the future.

R129 has probably almost doubled in the last five years already for good examples?
Got mine last year for peanuts compared to what they fetch now. Just fancied one, good move i think.

I've just had a quick look the R230 does look alot of car for the money

May be in another 10 years it will be up there, I'm 63 so sticking with the R129

Ok, here we go.
You have up to 10k to spend on a car and fixing problems.
Can you double what you spend in 5 years with a MB, Classic or other.

I'm going for an R129 as a starter.
I suspect the primary issue which will effect old cars values in the near future will be taxation.

No doubt some form of punative super tax will be used to get ICE cars off the road as quickly as possible in the run up to and certainly post 2030.

The way around this to to buy a car that will qualify as tax free by 2030. 40 years old is the current historic rule so that will make the cut off point 1990.

A nice 'G', 'H' or earlier registered w201, w124 or early r129 v8 would be my choice. Tax free and MOT exempt by 2030.

Do you really think R129 prices have gone up much in the last few years? They were all over the place a few years ago and as far as I can see they still are!
I'd be very pleased if they have gone up - I've got one. Great car and all that, and obviously worth more than they go for :). Only downside is the parts supply.
I don't see much movement on R107 either with prices all over the place as well, but I'm not so interested in them.

Could be you could buy a cheap R129 on ebay and then somebody may pay more for it on carandclassic. Probably more on image and how you present it to the right audience? But if it needed any work to get it up to speed, that profit would evaporate very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom