• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The best modern classics to buy in 2022

In the up to £20K category I would seriously consider an E63 BMW M6 V10. The design, based on a Bangle concept, may not be to everyone's taste but the engine is epic. The SMG gearbox too not to everyone's liking but to this day I regret selling mine.
Don't mind the shape of the car, do kind of mind the money pit status of the engine and drive train though...

A 205 is "worth" more than an SL55, for sure. As is a similar Fast Ford. But what does a price mean ?

The important question is what do you want it for?

View attachment 121323
Exactly. Something to drive or something as an investment or a bit of both. I would generally back quality every time both to drive and for longer term investment rather than the "what I drove when I was 17" nostalgia cars.

Last edited:
Wrong one, should be the 1.9 not the 1.6 :)
Not all of us former owners of both would agree with that..there are (or were!) merits to both in terms of driving, particularly first year of production 105hp 1.6, though for me, prices are already quite high for these cars and have been for some years.

I had an oak green 1, ltd edition gti (LHD German spec) the gearbox blew up on the way back to the uk . C+R enterprises notts rebiult it and still today the engine is in there database as they had never seen that set up on any golf .
Amazing cars 🙂

Not sure why anybody would pay more for a Monaro rather than a c63 but each to his own. My personal advice and what I would do if i was younger would be buy as many sub £30k (of which there are a lot) Aston Martin DB9s as you can. Amazing value for probably the best looking Aston ever made. (I have some form here having bought two DB4s in the 90s for roughly the same reasons)
Why not the Vantage for similar money?
I think the DB9 looks a bit 'Maserati 3200/4200 GT' dated, whereas the Vantage looks (famous last words) more timeless?

I bought a new 16v version back in 91, one of the best cars I've had. I tried to buy one of the runout model blue VR6 Storm in 1998 but the only ones available were the green with beige leather, no thank you.
That was when I had mine 👍🏻👍🏻 J473 TOB.
Even drove it to Saxa Vord (apart from ferries) just for fun under the guise of work 😁😁😁
Certainly ranks as one of my favourites and a real ‘modern classic’.

Not sure why anybody would pay more for a Monaro rather than a c63 but each to his own. My personal advice and what I would do if i was younger would be buy as many sub £30k (of which there are a lot) Aston Martin DB9s as you can. Amazing value for probably the best looking Aston ever made. (I have some form here having bought two DB4s in the 90s for roughly the same reasons)
Other suspects to consider ; XJS convertable, Ferrari 612, R230 SLs under 6K,
I agree with the xjs totally, not just the convertibles either. I keep an eye on jag prices and you used to be able to pick up an xjs for peanuts but not any more. Definitely appreciating in value.

I agree with the xjs totally, not just the convertibles either. I keep an eye on jag prices and you used to be able to pick up an xjs for peanuts but not any more. Definitely appreciating in value.
Seen a few over the last year and expect I'll buy a convertible over winter. You can still get one without rust for reasonable money. I agree good ones are likely to accumulate but I'd suggest some of the more expensive ones on the market are speculatively priced and won't achieve anywhere near their list price.

And
Only this colour ,prices are stupid
One Sold recently on CC, white, 29k miles. About £24k I think. I actually think that's a decent price and "investment".

Why not the Vantage for similar money?
I think the DB9 looks a bit 'Maserati 3200/4200 GT' dated, whereas the Vantage looks (famous last words) more timeless?
Significantly more money and loses the clean british elegance that is Aston Martins DNA imho

Very nice. Stanford Hall maybe 🤔
That was at an RS Owners Club meet at Lightwater Valley in Ripon a few years ago now. I’m a bit of an old Ford fan too. Alas, the Dub has been moved on now (needed some building work doing on the house and the builder took a shine to the Golf, so he ended up doing the work then paying me some cash and he got the Golf!).
Kept my old Ford still though 😉

Surely most Focus RS's will have been modded to within an inch of their life and written off by the time they could be described as a 'Classic' ;)
True, but the same could be said for mk1/2 Mexico’s/RS2000/Sports and the like, but look at the price’s of those these days 😲

Nice if you can find a standard 1
Definitely +1 for this!
Surprised no other Jap cars have been mentioned in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom