• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The best modern classics to buy in 2022

Why not the Vantage for similar money?
I think the DB9 looks a bit 'Maserati 3200/4200 GT' dated, whereas the Vantage looks (famous last words) more timeless?
Sorry , I guess you meant the small vantage rather than the DB9 successor. Should do ok I would think

Definitely +1 for this!
Surprised no other Jap cars have been mentioned in this thread.
Now that you say that, I always fancied one of these:

azM2Xrz_460s.jpg

That blue Corrado Storm is certainly a nice looking example, although they could have done some better photos in this Winter light.

That leather interior could easily be renovated significantly, and cheaply, by someone who know his trade.

I had a Corrado Storm, although it wasn't as much fun as the green and brown Mk1 Scirocco Storms which i had a few years earlier.

Had a teensy problem when I came to sell it. Both my wife and I were "twelve hour working day people" both fielding phone calls from Exchange and Mart, this being before the days of mobiles, and our standard line was "Look, we're busy, "if" you want to see it come after 10 on Saturday morning. That's the only time we have available."

Not thinking that many would actually be bothered to come after reading a 25 word advert in E&M. And not realising that while I had taken a dozen calls, so had she.

They started turning up at 9am. By about 10am the two first sets of people were bidding over the asking price, with the other fifteen looking on in confusion.

Seems ridiculous now, but this is what life was like before photo ads, emails, and jpegs.

That blue Corrado Storm is certainly a nice looking example, although they could have done some better photos in this Winter light.

That leather interior could easily be renovated significantly, and cheaply, by someone who know his trade.

I had a Corrado Storm, although it wasn't as much fun as the green and brown Mk1 Scirocco Storms which i had a few years earlier.

Had a teensy problem when I came to sell it. Both my wife and I were "twelve hour working day people" both fielding phone calls from Exchange and Mart, this being before the days of mobiles, and our standard line was "Look, we're busy, "if" you want to see it come after 10 on Saturday morning. That's the only time we have available."

Not thinking that many would actually be bothered to come after reading a 25 word advert in E&M. And not realising that while I had taken a dozen calls, so had she.

They started turning up at 9am. By about 10am the two first sets of people were bidding over the asking price, with the other fifteen looking on in confusion.

Seems ridiculous now, but this is what life was like before photo ads, emails, and jpegs.
Mmm, those were the days …. remember them well 😆
So many stories to tell.

Why not the Vantage for similar money?
I think the DB9 looks a bit 'Maserati 3200/4200 GT' dated, whereas the Vantage looks (famous last words) more timeless?
The manual V12 Vantages have been going up..very nice cars. remind me in a way of the W204 C63 with a very big engine shoehorned where it really shouldn't be.

Love them... even now.

I was considering these at the start of the millennium - as well as a Sonic Blue Impreza Terzo.

I chose an E36 M3 Evolution in the end but I still have a hankering for a Supra.

Last UK models were 1993/L I believe and the rest were imported after that so you could get a better spec. Japanese version on later plates.

Looks great in black with upgraded rear lights.

I have looked now and again in recent times but they are strong money now for a decent one perhaps unsurprisingly.

Now that you say that, I always fancied one of these:

azM2Xrz_460s.jpg

Love them... even now.

I was considering these at the start of the millennium - as well as a Sonic Blue Impreza Terzo.

I chose an E36 M3 Evolution in the end but I still have a hankering for a Supra.

Last UK models were 1993/L I believe and the rest were imported after that so you could get a better spec. Japanese version on later plates.

Looks great in black with upgraded rear lights.

I have looked now and again in recent times but they are strong money now for a decent one perhaps unsurprisingly.
Brilliant cars but the manual JDM 2JZs go for BIG money. Would love one 😍

When the itch came to change my 16V Corrado , 1994 I think, I ended up part-exing it for a new ,early model , Golf VR6 from a VW dealer in London. When I got to the dealer there were 2 new VR6 Corrados in the showroom , not Storms, I was tempted but the extra £2500 was well over my budget. When I bought the Golf VR6 it didn't have the same "kudos" as the 16V Golf but come 2 years later I was fighting off the buyers when I was trying to sel it, still miss the smoothness and power of that 2.8 engine , although I must admit that the roadholding wasn't up to much , way too soft .
Looking at the Blue Storm in the advert, and the odd one that I see on the road I can't remember mine looking so pumped up , but it was 25 years ago.

When the itch came to change my 16V Corrado , 1994 I think, I ended up part-exing it for a new ,early model , Golf VR6 from a VW dealer in London. When I got to the dealer there were 2 new VR6 Corrados in the showroom , not Storms, I was tempted but the extra £2500 was well over my budget. When I bought the Golf VR6 it didn't have the same "kudos" as the 16V Golf but come 2 years later I was fighting off the buyers when I was trying to sel it, still miss the smoothness and power of that 2.8 engine , although I must admit that the roadholding wasn't up to much , way too soft .
Looking at the Blue Storm in the advert, and the odd one that I see on the road I can't remember mine looking so pumped up , but it was 25 years ago.
I’d love a Golf VR6. Always been a vehicle I’ve wanted to own, and have been looking again lately. For my now mainly local usage ….. perfect. 😎

That was when I had mine 👍🏻👍🏻 J473 TOB.
Even drove it to Saxa Vord (apart from ferries) just for fun under the guise of work 😁😁😁
Certainly ranks as one of my favourites and a real ‘modern classic’.
Mine was H61RCY , back in 1991 it was a very expensive car , the other car I was interested in was a Mercedes 190E and there wasn't that much difference in the prices IIRC.

Reactions: Ted
believe the Vantage succeeded the Vantage, and the DB11 succeeded the DB9.

Talking of which…. Why did they not produce the DB10 after its appearance in Spectre?

And why / how did Ferrari steal the DB10 design to create the Ferrari Roma?

Attachments

• A66E8055-075E-461C-A098-03DD099FBE83.jpg
    A66E8055-075E-461C-A098-03DD099FBE83.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 8
I believe the Vantage succeeded the Vantage, and the DB11 succeeded the DB9.
Correct.....I was thinking of the DBS

Didn’t the DBS (based on the DB9) succeed the DBS (based on the DB11), albeit with a gap?
Yes but of course the other way round. There were (are) DBS, pumped up, iterations of both DB9 and DB11. They run in parallel to the base versions, although I think the DBS version of the DB9 ceased production some years before the end of the DB9 run in 2014, so it would indeed be wrong to call the DBS the successor to the DB9, rather a variant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom