The Big Short (film)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
This film was mentioned on this forum recently. I think it was by Patagonian.

Well I was on a flight last night and noticed it was on the film menu so watched it.

It is excellent. The whole mortgage mess in the USA that triggered the world financial meltdown was presented in a palatable, easy to understand and often quite humorous way. It really does beg the question "what on earth were they thinking".

Very watchable, I found myself laughing out loud on the plane more than once.

I watched on the way back from my last overseas trip, I thought it was really good. I'd like to watch it again without Emirates' over-zealous editing for content.

This film was mentioned on this forum recently. I think it was by Patagonian.

Well I was on a flight last night and noticed it was on the film menu so watched it.

It is excellent. The whole mortgage mess in the USA that triggered the world financial meltdown was presented in a palatable, easy to understand and often quite humorous way. It really does beg the question "what on earth were they thinking".

Very watchable, I found myself laughing out loud on the plane more than once.

MJ raised it first as far as I know. I've yet to see the film, but the book was excellent.

The film is excellent
Very watchable and for the less educated (such as myself) it basically explains how the whole financial system went into meltdown

The film is excellent
Very watchable and for the less educated (such as myself) it basically explains how the whole financial system went into meltdown

Yes. Unfortunately my business was at the very centre of the meltdown and I've still to recover from the consequences. But generally I'm pleased to see that some of the malpractices are being made public. But I think we all realise that the toads behind all this will just slip behind another rock and pop up somewhere else another day.

MJ raised it first as far as I know. I've yet to see the film, but the book was excellent.

Like others here I watched it on a long haul flight. I must admit I have not read the book, and while books are usually better then the films made based on them... this particular film was aided by very good performances from Christian Bale and Steve Carell.

Like others here I watched it on a long haul flight. I must admit I have not read the book, and while books are usually better then the films made based on them... this particular film was aided by very good performances from Christian Bale and Steve Carell.

I tend to read or watch but not both - although following yours and Red's reviews, I'm tempted to watch it tonight.

The main area of interest for me is the CDSs (Credit Default Swaps) which allowed almost anybody to place a bet on the demise of a company. So for $1000 down, in the event of failure, $50,000 would be paid out. £1m pays $50m and so on. And these odds were offered right up to the eve of collapse of some companies, and of course brought down quite a few of the insurers who had to pay out on collapse.

Up until that time, the people selling these CDSs were hailed as super salesman, money for old rope - these businesses are safe - we will never pay out - and so on. Not realising of course that the positions they held would bring their own companies down - whilst making lots of individuals with $100k+ to spare, multi millionaires overnight.

I'm assuming all of the above was covered in the film? But perhaps not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great film, I thought the performance of Steve Carrell in particular stood out the "they knew they'd be bailed out" scene in particular was a particular scene I enjoyed.

An ex-Lehman friend of mine says that - contrary to common belief - they repeatedly warned their clients that these are very high-risk products. They never intended to sell the quantities they did - and were baffled at the unexpected demand. He also said that at one point they had a 'queue' of waiting clients because they were simply not able to make them fast enough.

I appreciate it is only anecdotal evidence, but it does push (some of) the blame further down the supply chain, placing it with greedy fund managers and financial advisors etc.

Snouts in the trough comes to mind.

Superb film I watched it last night after the recommend on here

One of the best films I've seen in recent times. I done so research on it and the claims at the end.

I think there's a good chance the claims are correct.

Watched it on my flight to Singapore at the weekend and agree, a very good film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom