The buying used minefield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
On the look out for a new CLS.

Nearly every non main/franchise dealer has a horror story in the reviews of them.
The prices some people want is comical....£9500 for a 99,000 mile 2006 CLS anyone?

I was thinking of using an Evans Halshaw or the like until the chap from Jaguar (had to have a look) told me Stratstone Jaguar send the cars they won't give warranties to there.

Starting to think buying private armed with an OBD reader may be the best option.

I love looking for a new car though :D

If you posted your requirements and approximate budget then there maybe someone on here that is contemplating selling their car.

Kenny

It's probably worth considering that people only comment if they're really upset or really happy with the experience. - I'll bet there aren't many that say "this dealer is OK, but you have to park around the back" or "would be better if it wasn't on a main road".

Unless they're all bad, I would take the reviews with a pinch of salt. - Maybe the offending staff member has since left?

If you posted your requirements and approximate budget then there maybe someone on here that is contemplating selling their car.

Kenny

Thats true ... ill pop something in the wanted later but its £7500 grand to spend on a CLS must have Bluetooth memory seats and nav

It's probably worth considering that people only comment if they're really upset or really happy with the experience. - I'll bet there aren't many that say "this dealer is OK, but you have to park around the back" or "would be better if it wasn't on a main road".

Unless they're all bad, I would take the reviews with a pinch of salt. - Maybe the offending staff member has since left?

A lot of the time they're all bad. Many dealers buy cars at auction that the larger dealers wont sell.

I found Synergy, in Croydon, to be excellent, although it's a long way from you. I might add that I have no time for dealers normally as I've had plenty of poor experiences. I usually try to buy privately.

I would say I wouldn't let any private punter near my OBD socket. Who knows what they could be up to.

On the look out for a new CLS.

Nearly every non main/franchise dealer has a horror story in the reviews of them.
The prices some people want is comical....£9500 for a 99,000 mile 2006 CLS anyone?

I was thinking of using an Evans Halshaw or the like until the chap from Jaguar (had to have a look) told me Stratstone Jaguar send the cars they won't give warranties to there.

Starting to think buying private armed with an OBD reader may be the best option.

I love looking for a new car though :D

I believe that is true about Stratstone and Evans Halshaw and the really bad stuff gets sent to Quicks .
:dk:

Dealer margin

It's worth remembering that a used dealer isn't selling cars as a service to humanity, so the headline price on a £7500 car will include £2k worth of margin to cover his preparation, warranty, risk, and sales commission.

You have to keep your eyes open these days. I do a lot of prep for a car dealer on our industrial estate. He buys a lot of Mercedes from auction, all stuff coming off PCP and similar deals via the dealer network. We recently prepped a 2015 C220cdi, which had heavier than expected wear to the brakes than its 19,000 miles should have shown. We used the car to collect another from the mot centre 5 miles away as part of a road test, and by sheer luck I noticed that the odometer had only increased by a little over one mile. I pulled the dash cluster out and discovered a defeat device (picture to follow if you'd like to see it) connected between the dash and it's loom plug. Suffice to say Mercedes took the vehicle back with a full refund immediately. A new one on me, but maybe some of you know about these already?

I found Synergy, in Croydon, to be excellent, although it's a long way from you. I might add that I have no time for dealers normally as I've had plenty of poor experiences. I usually try to buy privately.

I would say I wouldn't let any private punter near my OBD socket. Who knows what they could be up to.

I bought my SL500 from Synergy, thought they were very honest compared to the many I'd looked at previously. Did everything right and nothing wrong and they got a sale from me :D

You have to keep your eyes open these days. I do a lot of prep for a car dealer on our industrial estate. He buys a lot of Mercedes from auction, all stuff coming off PCP and similar deals via the dealer network. We recently prepped a 2015 C220cdi, which had heavier than expected wear to the brakes than its 19,000 miles should have shown. We used the car to collect another from the mot centre 5 miles away as part of a road test, and by sheer luck I noticed that the odometer had only increased by a little over one mile. I pulled the dash cluster out and discovered a defeat device (picture to follow if you'd like to see it) connected between the dash and it's loom plug. Suffice to say Mercedes took the vehicle back with a full refund immediately. A new one on me, but maybe some of you know about these already?

As promised, the device. Anyone seen this before?

Synergy is owned and run by a member here, Aka$h.

Synergy

He's very choosy about which MB's he sells and won't stock rubbish.

Nice guy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom