The channel Islands and the TV licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
Much press lately from the channel islands, particularly the feudal system on Sark that's under pressure to change.
Question-- do the channel islanders have to purchase a british tv licence
Reason I'm asking is the TV licence really bugs me and I want somewhere to live when I retire where I can watch british tv without buying a licence and not having to chain the rottweilers to the gatepost 24/7.
They get really nasty this weather

Much press lately from the channel islands, particularly the feudal system on Sark that's under pressure to change.
Question-- do the channel islanders have to purchase a british tv licence
Reason I'm asking is the TV licence really bugs me and I want somewhere to live when I retire where I can watch british tv without buying a licence and not having to chain the rottweilers to the gatepost 24/7.
They get really nasty this weather

Are you aware how much houses cost on the channel islands?

Best place in the world otherwise.

so to save yourself less than 40p per day (that's what the licence costs) you'll consider moving to the Channel Islands

May I suggest

a, you just stop watching the TV?

b, watch all your TV on-line. As long as it's not being broadcast "live" (ie at the same time as on the TV) on the internet you don't need a licence

c, stop whinging and pay up :D

oh and yes you do need a TV licence in the Channel Islands

Last edited:
so to save yourself less than 40p per day (that's what the licence costs) you'll consider moving to the Channel Islands

c, stop whinging and pay up :D

but a chunk of it goes to that t0sser Jonathon Ross and the gravy train freeloaders who agreed to pay him that much and theres FA I can do about it except whinge or move

but a chunk of it goes to that t0sser Jonathon Ross and the gravy train freeloaders who agreed to pay him that much and theres FA I can do about it except whinge or move

actually, that "chunk" which goes to Jonathon Ross is quite a small "fraction" of the Beeb's total budget (unless of course you read the Daily Mail:)).

Assuming the Beeb gets £4 billion in funds you are contributing about 60p to Jonathon Ross' (supposed £18 million) salary - hardly worth moving for or even complaining about is it?

actually, that "chunk" which goes to Jonathon Ross is quite a small "fraction" of the Beeb's total budget (unless of course you read the Daily Mail:)).

Assuming the Beeb gets £4 billion in funds you are contributing about 60p to Jonathon Ross' (supposed £18 million) salary - hardly worth moving for or even complaining about is it?

That's quite a lot considering how many licence payers there are.

Maybe you should ask the Barclay Brothers?
Thanks.
I never knew anything about the Barclay Brothers even though the company I worked for was part of Barclay Business Group.....well until the day before I joined.
Interesting background.

b, watch all your TV on-line. As long as it's not being broadcast "live" (ie at the same time as on the TV) on the internet you don't need a licence

I think you will find that a licence is still needed to watch BBC Iplayer

I though the BBC were paying all the licence fees back out in fines of late, mind you who gets the proceeds then is anybodies guess? Helps pay for MP's pay rises and 2nd homes, as well as those poor people in the House of Lords.
You know that other place! where they live together and claim double expenses.

I completely agree, forgive me for widening the debate slightly, but NO ONE in 'public service' should earn more than the Prime Minister, absolutely no one. There is no need in this day and age when there are 5 million public sector workers. If you offered Jonathon Ross, Graham Norton, Terry Wogan et al, either a salary of £180,000 then they could go and top up their 'wages' with endorsements, appearances etc. If they want more they can go elsewhere (ITV?) and join the queue. I suspect that their grossly inflated salaries would not be entertained (excuse the pun) by ITV.

It is an absolute scandal that the BBC, a supposed publicly accountable public body, gets away with what they do. Please vote for me to join the BBC board. Thank you.

I think you will find that a licence is still needed to watch BBC Iplayer

not if you are only watching pre recorded stuff

from http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Do I need a TV Licence?

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

the iplayer seems to be right in the middle of a big grey area but as far as I can see, if you are not using it to watch live TV then you are exempt from the licence

how do you expect to get a house in the channel islands and be allowed to live there?

my dad was concieved there (Guernsey) and should have been born there (his mum went on holiday and he was born a month early in london) and he went back there at 1 week old and lived there untill he was mid 20's and his mums house is still there and he is not allowed to live there !

Thats a joke why can' he live there, I might want to after I've checked them out, [ been to Jersey for a week about 20 years ago ]
Looking for somewhere to retire to in about 6 years. I like Portugal, wife likes Turkey, but somewhere where I could watch british tv without paying the licence would be nice cos it really humps me off paying those fat money grubbing b@stards

how do you expect to get a house in the channel islands and be allowed to live there?

Is that really the case that you need to be an Islander to live there, if so how do people retire to them.

I know one, and possibly two people that have retired to Jersey and are definately not natives.

Or was it just your Dad they wouldn't let in.? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom