The CLK is mine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasha

Car
ML63 - 2009
Unexpected surprise, I was able to pick up my CLK320 Sport on Saturday and have covered 300 miles in it already.

The car is simply unbelievable!

Still learning some of the nuances of the car, for example;

If the left mirror adjustment button is down then the passenger-side mirror dips when in reverse and the cruise control with speed limiter functionality.

Really surprised that pedestrians still gawp at the car, the CLK should be a familiar sight on the road by now.

A couple of things need to be sorted out by the dealer this week, the cover on the alarm (?) unit above the driver-side seatbelt is missing and the lights behind the fan dial on the centre console dont work.

Two things are annoying from a build quality perspective;

1 - The interior light switch cluster is plasticky and feels like it is going to break,

2 - When you press the button to lower the rear headrests, they don't sink slowly but fall like a theatre stage trapdoor!

Other than that really love the car.

I have taken pictures and will post them this week.

Mods/extras in the pipeline;

a - Lose the star on the bonnet and get the flat badge (but not the star grille)

b - Handsfree car kit

c - GPS camera dedector (btw who updates the supplier's database with new/temporary speed traps?)

d - Cup holder

e - Parking sensor, I'm quite liking the idea of the electro magnetic version (metal strips inside the bumper), but do these detect concrete posts or only nearby metal objects? More importantly does the warning console integrate with the dash well or does it sit like a dashmount radar detector?

All in all, loving the car.

Any replies gratefully received!

Sashaaaa

2 - When you press the button to lower the rear headrests, they don't sink slowly but fall like a theatre stage trapdoor!
Same thing happens on my C-Class, The left one sticks sometimes and may fall when you hit a bump - LOL - Through lack of use probably as most people will leave them up or down, I leave mine up.
Sounds like a superb car, can't wait for the pics :D

1 - The interior light switch cluster is plasticky and feels like it is going to break,

I think the W202 has the same one - and know what you mean - it rattles and makes very plasticky sounds . . I keep meaning to take it out and try and rid it of the rattles / pack the gaps with something !

b - Handsfree car kit

Do a search - you have a couple of options in this respect - original MB phone console or dashmount bracket / wiring kit - they are well documented on here!

c - GPS camera dedector (btw who updates the supplier's database with new/temporary speed traps?)

Several of us use the Blackspot Road Angel - (www.blackspot.com) - speak to jimmy who is an authorised seller of this product for more details. Its a great product.

e - Parking sensor, I'm quite liking the idea of the electro magnetic version (metal strips inside the bumper), but do these detect concrete posts or only nearby metal objects? More importantly does the warning console integrate with the dash well or does it sit like a dashmount radar detector?

.......heard that these are not the most accurate . . . . they only work at very close range. The sensor type as fitted OEM are better, and there is a MB aftermarket solution called quickpark - which you can enquire at the dealer about - or several third party ones which will cost a lot less and are easy to install - I'm currently looking into one of these - will let you know what I decide to get !

Sasha,what are your thoughts on the noise levels in the car?I have an`02 clk W208 and the tyre/road noise is very nearly the thing that spoils it for me.it would be much better if it was quieter,poor road surfaces really kick up noise.I think a big part of refinement is what you DONT hear.

Congrats on the car! I have the parktronic (front and rear fitted) and thoroughly recommend it. The rear sensor display is cleverly fitted above the heads of the rear seat occupants, and is designed to be viewed whilst reversing using your rear view mirror. It is about the closest I will ever get to a Heads Up Display. The sensors work on both a visual and audible alarm. They are really handy because I drive a C class estate. Im not sure how much the parktronic is to retro fit though????? I would pay a premium to have this fitted over a 3rd party model but it is all down to asthetics I suppose.

Last edited:
Sasha wrote...
Sasha,what are your thoughts on the noise levels in the car?I have an`02 clk W208 and the tyre/road noise is very nearly the thing that spoils it for me.it would be much better if it was quieter,poor road surfaces really kick up noise.I think a big part of refinement is what you DONT hear.

Are you still running on Pirelli P6000's? If so, a change will make all the difference to road noise.

I am finding the CLK road noise a little high, however I was putting this down to the 17" wheels.

But I have just had a look at what tyres I have, Bridgestone on the front and Champiro on the rear.

Champiro - who the hell are they? Sound dodgy.

I guess what noise I get comes from these Champiro tyres.

I'm going to leave this issue for later when I get used to the car and so when I get it reshod, it will be one of those "wow - what an improvement, this car just keeps getting better!"

I hope...

However, I have also noticed the driver's side door seal is a little 'tired' and so I get a weeny bit of wind noise in my right ear, annoying but not load enough to get the dealer to take me seriously.

Anybody recommend any good tyres?

:0)

Sashaaaa

Last edited:
Sasha,

I put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD03's on my CLK320 and I am very impressed with them. Much better than my old tyres (Falken or something like that - cheap option I think!) Road noise is much lower and very good dry and wet grip. Not sure how long they will last yet as they are only about 3,000 miles old but should be in the same ball park as most.

PS I have AMG 17" wheels too - cost for a set 225/45 front and 245/40 rear was £450 all in.

Cheers

Guy

I second that.

My E430 came with the stock Continental SportContacts in the following setup.

235/17/40 ZR.

I changed them to Eagle F1 GSD-3 tyres and they are MUCH quieter. Dry weather grip is improved. Less tyre squeal. But they appear to be a softer, "stickier" compound ... seem to be wearing out at a slightly faster rate. But I guess that is a fair price. Most of the better 'performance' tyres wear a little faster.

Its all about trade-offs. Sound insulation on most Mercs is good compared to other cars. The sound insulation and engine-bay fire-walls are very good.

But most of the sound is generated by the tyres anyway ... so changing those tends to make a big difference ... try it !!

Regards.

Chris.//

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

Have a look here for cheap tyres. You need to find someone to fit and balance them for you. But they are MUCH cheaper than Kwik-fit for most performance tyres.

The budget stuff makes little difference as the margins are slim to start with.

Regards.

Chris.//

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom