The CLS - a full review one year on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stig2082

Car
CLS 350 Shooting Brake and a cheeky TVR Chimera
Thought I would pen a summary of my experience of owning the CLS which I have had for just over a year in case it is useful for anyone considering. I know I looked on this forum before taking the plunge. Apologies for the length!

Details first - it is a silver 08 plate CLS 320CDI, one of the very early facelifts. It is nicely specified with 19” AMG wheels, memory package, sat nav, parktronic, airmatic suspension. see pics
IMG_3611.jpg
IMG_3608.jpg

My previous car was an E-class estate (2004) which had served well with newly born twins to cart about, with all the inevitable gear. However, I have always been fortunate enough to drive fun cars (TVRs etc) so as soon as I could fit us back into a smaller(ish) car the CLS was my preferred choice. The value for money given what they cost new is exceptional in my view, and for me it is perfect as it can still lug the family around.

Reliability:
So far it has been pretty good. Have covered 15k miles since I got it, and it came with 50k on the clock. Soon after buying the glow plugs played up and these were replaced which I understand is quite common. The other thing to go was the front ball joint which started creaking like mad - again I understand this does happen to a few. Both of these things were fixed under warranty which was a relief. Other than that it has been fine. I have driven to Italy and back in it for the summer hols, loaded up plus roof box and it didn't miss a beat. Have also done some wine runs to france and fitted an incredible amount in it, which again it has coped admirably with. See pic of traversing the Alps
IMG_4186.jpg

Practicality:
Of course there are some compromises which are inherent to buying this type of car - e..g it only has four seats etc. However, I think that given what it is, it is not too bad. For me the boot is one of the best things. Is it shallow, but huge and swallows an enormous amount if you pack it carefully. The car can also take a roof rack, so a roof box can be used, which is what I did for annual hols. The entrance to the boot is however narrow so the days of transporting fridges and wardrobes are over! The air-matic suspension can also help out in certain situations when you need more clearance. This can be amusing as the “executive barge” with 19” wheels can negotiate some trickier roads/tracks than supposedly more practical cars.

Comfort/the cabin
I think it is a splendid place to be. I suffer from a pretty bad back which can really hurt in certain seats. The extent to which I can adjust the seat makes it very comfortable for me, and the memory function is a life saver as I can store the setting I need (and I love the electric adjustment for the steering wheel, which lifts when I turn off the key before getting out) . All the main controls are easy to use and understand, and I love the interior design. The stitching is a lovely touch. The Command unit is OK, but I tend not to bother with the more complex operations and voice control as it is not very intuitive. When you are used to touch screen Apple products, the unit can feel pretty old hat. That said, the sat nav is mostly OK, though it does take you on some bonkers routes some times. I know people tend to moan about the head clearance in the back, but as its my kids back there, I have no complaints. Talking of kids, they love it and have plenty of room. The isofix anchors mean you can plug seats in, making it a safer place. I managed to find nice black seats which fit well - and are basically the same ones Mercedes try to sell you, but without their covers on and about 1/3 of the price. They like the cubby hold in the middle and fill it with all their crap, and there is a power outlet inside the cubby hole which means they can run their gadgets.

The drive and power!
Well of course one of the most important things. I think for what it is - a big luxury car, it drives really well. It is much more planted than the previous e-class I had, and really holds the road well. Pinging it across roundabouts at a fair pace tends to demonstrate this to me. Now if course it isn't a Porsche, but then in real world driving I find it is pretty rare one needs the abilities those sort of cars deliver (I’ve had one) - and certainly not in a four door car of this size. The acceleration with all that diesel torque is usually more than adequate and it is not often I find myself wishing for more. But being the frustrated petrol head that I am, I had a Brabus box fitted and this does give it an extra edge. I purchased this second hand and had it fitted by my local indie and it seems fine. Unless the road is very dry and you are pointing straight, it is hard to apply full power without setting off the traction control. The effortless, and at times very rapid, acceleration is probably one of my favorite things about the car. As I have the airmatic suspension I am able to set it to sport which tightens things up, and I do use this if I find myself without passengers and with a bit of room to push things. Otherwise I leave it set on comfort. When I got the car I was actually really worried about the 19” wheels as the tyres are very low profile, and I have experienced very ‘crashy’ rides in other cars. However, I was amazed at the ability of the car to soak up bumps - far better than my e-class which was riding on 16” wheels. I know the airmatic may cost me if it goes wrong, but it really works well with the wheels I have and I think it delivers a great ride.

Economy/costs
I am always taken aback at what people can get their cars to deliver for MPG, and I only get near these figures of 40 - 48pmg if I drive incredibly carefully and sedately. For me having this car means I do enjoy planting my foot a bit and driving rapidly where it is safe to do so. Therefore, on a long fast motorway trip I’ll get 35-38mpg, and around town is in the 20’s. Otherwise nothing has gone wrong yet which I have had to pay for and the service was done on the Mercedes plan which I pay monthly for. I don’t think it is especially good value, but forces me to save monthly and spread the pain. What depresses me is the predictable trick the dealers always try to pull of ‘recommended items’ -which came to over 1.5k last time, and months later none of them have actually needed sorting yet. And when they do (the other ball joint, break pad and discs) I shall be off to my local indie.

Buying/warranty
I am a pretty experienced car buyer having been through a range of different cars and I have always bought and sold privately for the extra value this delivers - though of course the risks are greater. But on this occasion I found this car in the MB dealership network at incredibly good value and they offered a very sensible price on my trade in. I felt very reassured it was from a main dealer and thought the first 12 months were therefore as good as a manufacturers warranty. This is not the case as I found out. When you present the car with a fault, the dealership will agree to investigate the problem, and if it is covered by the warranty - they have to ring it in to a third party insurer - then you are OK. But if the item is not covered, you are charged for the repair and the investigation. So in the case of my glow plugs they weren’t actually covered, but the dealership agreed to do them as a good will gesture. When you read all the peace of mind stuff they give you, this is not apparent and in fact I’m not sure some of sales people actually understand it!

Owning one and what’s next?
Staying within my price bracket - up to 20k at present - there simply isn’t anything else which comes close to the CLS in my view. They are still comparatively thin on the ground compared to most other cars, so you always feel a sense of occasion driving it. Like others on here, I always turn back to admire after parking it. When I have driven for about 5 years I can only see myself getting another one. The new shape divides opinion but it is growing on me, and I tend to upgrade on a cycle. If I had the money the Porsche Panamera would tempt me, but the second had price needs to collapse a bit more! For my circumstances which is needing/wanting a car which can take a family of 4 across Europe for an annual holiday and also deliver comfort, speed and buckets of character the rest of the time - it is the one for me!

Great review! Looks like you got a good one there! Well done!

Thank you very much for taking the time to compile that. We dont hear from you a lot but when we do - shear quality.

Enjoy many more miles of pleasure.

Thanks John, glad you like. I do enjoy the forum, is always a fun and interesting read.

I've also found that Airmatic and 19" wheels are a good match.

A great write up :thumb:.

Very informative, I have just bought one from an independent garage, some things need sorting, including the glow plugs, which luckily, I noticed on the test drive.

Hopefully I will be collecting next week, I cant wait. :bannana:

Your point about the warranty is well made.

When I bought my SLK the salesman ABSOLUTELY INSISTED over and over again that the warranty was identical the new car warranty. Unfortunately this turned out not to be the case and they wanted me to pay £700 to have new rear window seals fitted, on the basis that they were a wear item.

Fortunately I was able to persuade them to do it under the warranty, but it was touch and go.

Nice review by the way!

Very informative, I have just bought one from an independent garage, some things need sorting, including the glow plugs, which luckily, I noticed on the test drive.

Hopefully I will be collecting next week, I cant wait. :bannana:

You'll love it. Is the nearest us old folk get to experiencing what Christmas is like for little people! Do post some pics once you collect her! :thumb:

Your point about the warranty is well made.

When I bought my SLK the salesman ABSOLUTELY INSISTED over and over again that the warranty was identical the new car warranty. Unfortunately this turned out not to be the case and they wanted me to pay £700 to have new rear window seals fitted, on the basis that they were a wear item.

Fortunately I was able to persuade them to do it under the warranty, but it was touch and go.

Nice review by the way!

Absolutely the issue. I think they more or less mislead customers when they market the approved used cars. Is especially acute when you take it to another dealership who haven't sold you the car, and they are not bothered at all and just defer to the policy. Is funny how we love the cars but have less than loving relationship with the people that sell them to us....

You'll love it. Is the nearest us old folk get to experiencing what Christmas is like for little people! Do post some pics once you collect her! :thumb:

Not that old yet. Lol. Only 37. I do have some pics up on my thread about buying advice. Just yhe the autotrader ones, but it gives you the idea

Not that old yet. Lol. Only 37. I do have some pics up on my thread about buying advice. Just yhe the autotrader ones, but it gives you the idea
Had a look at your thread, looks like a fab car and as others observe is nice to see one which isn't black or silver.. Hope you have decided on the dashboard dilemma! Personally I would stick with the original. Look forward to first reports!

Had a look at your thread, looks like a fab car and as others observe is nice to see one which isn't black or silver.. Hope you have decided on the dashboard dilemma! Personally I would stick with the original. Look forward to first reports!

At the moment I am going to stick with the wood. As I dont mind it. I do want to change the wheels for some bigger/nicer wheels. But hopefully will be collecting monday.

Thanks for a great review - had mine 4 months now and loving every moment - minor niggle with glowplugs but other than that can't fault it

Excellent write up-i loved my cls & imho the w219 is still the best looking mb on the road!

Couldn't agree more!

Thought I would add some of my takes on a CLS I've had for 12 months.

Its a '57' pre-facelift CLS with comand, memory, parking sensors, heated seats but no xenons, airmatic or harmon kardon. My trade-in 2003 E320cdi had xenons! I still feel that I got a fair deal. However, I bought it un-prepared on a journey stopover for a comfort break and a free coffee; 'er indoors wandered off to look at newer E's and saw a Black CLS - "always wanted one" she said, we decided on a different car at another of their branches and left on our journey with a £500 deposit paid on a Silver with grey interior car. Still didn't know much about the CLS, hey-ho. I now know the spec I would like but after a year still haven't seen one in any MB dealer that I would prefer to mine.
RELIABILITY - Only one fail - the battery within a month, the mobilo man came out and gave me a brand new one, result.
PRACTICALITY - no problem for just us two. Went to Italy last August and there was plenty of free space in the car, even after 'er indoors went shopping in Boulogne.
COMFORT/CABIN - a little dated now, and not much different to my old E Class, but I like it for that.
DRIVE & POWER - better than my E320cdi (6 in line) apart from economy which is about 5/8mpg worse. More power though even though I had my E320cdi 'chipped'. I find my cruising speed has risen, so content with 34mpg overall, had 40 on a long continental run.
BUYING/WARRANTY - Pleased with the deal and MB 12 Wty just expired, but I added the dealership 2yr warranty for £1000, they claim its as good as the MB one, time will tell, although I hope not. They both come with full European breakdown and recovery, so saved on my car insurance. Now pay just £236 pa with Zurich (the old git policy), but could get no frills comprehensive for £168 with Direct Line, are they as good? don't know.
OWNING/WHATS NEXT - I like the cubby where the 6CD changer would have been, but its more useful for sunglasses, it's removed on the later cars with the SD card style Comand. I use an iPod connected into the glovebox by phono lead, keep it in the centre console with a charger lead from the rear of the centre console, all leads wires well hidden. I also prefer the vertical cubby rather than the two cup holders in later models. Not really missed the xenons, fitted top rated H7's and do little after dark driving. HK would be nice but my standard system sounds OK to me (Son disagrees). Just fitted a wood steering wheel and ordered a wood gear knob, about to change the grille for a 2 bar one (mine is not in good condition). All in all its a fantastic car, couldn't manage without parking sensors, and many on sale do not have them. Whats next - well some family changes coming up, no need for two cars and the CLS is not an ideal do-it-all car when you have three grandchildren so perhaps back to an E Class, although 'er indoors likes the Golf! This is my 8th Merc so I don't want to break a good habit. It may be a C63 in a few years time.
Lots of CLS about now, if they have main dealer service history all the better, but most AMG models are in private dealer hands, maybe MB dealers won't touch them?

Last edited:
Great review, I've had mine 6 months, I also have airmatic and the car looks great in sports II, it gets compliments regularly at the petrol station! I knew had made the right choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom