The dark side does seem appealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deane x

Car
C350e S205 2016
After problems with C350e ( grant ,options or lack of ) I have been looking at other options and BMW has got my attention ,they seem to have better colour options and loads of add on options ( not just prem and prem plus ) but I have nerver had a BMW so my question is what are peoples views and opinions on BMW , I know this is a Mercedes forum but I am sure people have had or still have bm's on here

Ive driven a few, not new models, e39 e36 e46 and they have all been disapointing. Seem to rev and not reallly get anywhere, not driven the M's so maybe different, although i d did push one down the road with my Volvo 855 t5 ;)

had a 5 series touring nice car reliable smooth and quite unremarkable comfortable hearse good in summer awful on snow mercs are more refined

I have a 335D XDrive Touring, I like it, a very efficient tool but not a great driving machine like they would have you believe.

Great technology in it.

I have an m3, or what's left of it. The brakes, suspension and interior went in the bin a long time ago. I don't drive it on the road at all, as I don't want people to think I'm a c-unit.
Car goes quite well on the track though.

I have had 3 BMW's and found them over rated and over priced.
Better colour choices though as most Mercedes 5 years and older are usually silver or black.

I looked at BMW before I bought the CLK, and I was surprised how poor the BMW interior was. Just seemed very plastic and fragile, and made French cars look superior.

It's funny how people's opinions differ about the same thing. I currently have 2 BMWs, E39 530 Touring (from new) and an F10 M5, and I consider the older car to be one of the best cars ever made. It is a proper shed but does everything so well. The M5 is more discreet than the AMGs which suits me as I own some other very extrovert cars. The Tech on BMWs is awesome and I find the interiors nicer places to be than MB. Having more colour options helps a lot.

I have driven loads of normal 1,3 and 5 series loan cars when my RR has been serviced and not one of them is a bad car. BMW paintwork is very peely though which is why my M5 is being wet sanded as we speak.

My advice is try one. You can always come back to MB later.

It's funny how people's opinions differ about the same thing. I currently have 2 BMWs, E39 530 Touring (from new) and an F10 M5, and I consider the older car to be one of the best cars ever made. It is a proper shed but does everything so well. The M5 is more discreet than the AMGs which suits me as I own some other very extrovert cars. The Tech on BMWs is awesome and I find the interiors nicer places to be than MB. Having more colour options helps a lot.

I have driven loads of normal 1,3 and 5 series loan cars when my RR has been serviced and not one of them is a bad car. BMW paintwork is very peely though which is why my M5 is being wet sanded as we speak.

My advice is try one. You can always come back to MB later.
thanks very much for your opinion , I like the fact your not biased at all ,a Mercedes forum is probably not the best place for a unbiased opinion ,don't get me wrong I do love the C350e and have had 2 Mercedes before this one but don't like being dictated to by Mercedes , BMW options are sublime :thumb:

I have to own up and say I have a foot in both camps, so to speak. I find the steering and the 8 speed auto box of the BMW vastly superior to the Merc. Also the aftercare from BMW garages is much better than that from MB. Here in N. Ireland there are a no of BMW garages in competition with each other while the 2 MB garages are owned by the same company.

A pal of mine has an 5 estate and it's a great car, particularly the interior - it's just doesn't have the loadspace capacity of the E.

There are lots of BMW number plates around too ;).

Last edited:
I have to own up and say I have a foot in both camps, so to speak. I find the steering and the 8 speed auto box of the BMW vastly superior to the Merc. Also the aftercare from BMW garages is much better than that from MB. Here in N. Ireland there are a no of BMW garages in competition with each other while the 2 MB garages are owned by the same company.

Agreed

A pal of mine has an 5 estate and it's a great car, particularly the interior -it's just doesn't have the loadspace capacity of the E.

There are lots of BMW number plates around too ;).

Quite a few MBZ plates too J.

I've owned as many BMW as MB.

I would say that in standard format the BMW handles better than MB but maybe not as comfortable due to narrower seats, fine if you are skinny.

The BM straight 6 is a lovely thing.

The only car that I wish I still owned is my old 1995 5 series.

I don't get the whole loyalty to MB thing, I find it rather childish.

At around £475 for 5 years of servicing it will be alot cheaper than a merc which is around £360 per year.

I would say that in standard format the BMW handles better than MB but maybe not as comfortable due to narrower seats, fine if you are skinny.

Our Z handles quite well - but it's a bit heavier than it should be and the electric steering isn't great.

I've come to the conclusion that my 6 series is a bit of a dog in that the handling dynamics are fine - but the driver experience is poor. It's terribly unsatisfying. It's also really too heavy (It's supposed to be built of lighter materials than a 5 Series but doesn't seem any lighter).

The 3 series (and by inference the 4) I suspect is the best point in the range - the steering is probably as suspect as the Z and it's a bit cheap inside - but they still seem to have managed to keep the weight down and it's not too big.

The BM straight 6 is a lovely thing.

The straight six petrol engines are sweet but they seem to be vanishing as they go down the 4-cylinder turbo route.

I don't get the whole loyalty to MB thing, I find it rather childish.

There's a lot more blind loyalty to the dark side IME.

Lots more excuses made for their flaws - it's not quite at the Apple fanboy level but in some ways not dissimilar and it allows BMW to get away with a lot.

I think BMW and MB are both chasing the mass market market at such a rate of knots that they don't realise that they are diluting their brand and the products are losing their real identity.

Had lots of Merc's, in a 3 Series now and driven quite a few in their range.

I enjoy both very much. It's all totally subjective however. I go for the best deal at the time normally, don't have a blind loyalty to any singular brand.
Best part of the BMW range at the moment is the 8 speed ZF gearbox. I thought the 7G Tronic was good years ago, and it is- but the BMW box I've found much nicer.

I have found the 7G Tronic seems to work more nicely with the higher output engines. I had a CLC350 petrol a few years ago and it was superb (good old V6 lump!). In a 220CDI I've driven, the engine I thought was underpowered and the gearbox paired with it not so good.

Horses for courses anyway. Test drive them and go with your feeling. Nothing is forever especially if you lease a car, you're not lumped with it for more than a few years. A change is a good thing I will say, I've enjoyed the 3 Series very much.

I have owned a few BMWs.

3 E46 Tourings 320d, 330d and 330i. (2001-2004)
4 E39s. 528i saloon, 530d touring, 530i touring and 530i saloon. (1999-2004)
X5 3.0d (2005)
E91 Touring 335i (2006) and Fiona a 320d sport touring (2008)
E61 535d Sport Touring (2005)
120d M-Sport (2005-2007) 123d (2007-2009)
X1 (2010)
F11 520d Touring (2011)
X3 20d xdrive (2013) current car.

Also had things like 2.8i Z3, 325i E30, E46 M3, E46 M3 CSL and others I have probably missed, but the ones above are everyday cars.

I have also had a the following Mercs, S202 220cdi estate, S203 C220cdi estate, S210 E320 estate, S211 E320 cdi estate, S212 E350cdi estate, ML270 Inpsiration, 2004 S320cdi and we currently have an older 2002 ML270 and a 2010 ML350 that is the old mans daily.

It used to be the case that the BMWs were much more driver focused than comfort, which the Merc was, however, from around 2010 all that changed.
Mercedes have tried to firm things up a bit to appeal to a younger demographic, where as BMW have actually gone softer, they have tried to appeal to a wider market by making the cars more comfortable day to day.

There used to be an easy choice to make, you bought the Merc if you wanted a waft machine, you bought the BMW if you wanted something really fun and quite edgy to drive but still very usable every day, now it is not so clear cut, and I hate to say this, but the only reason I can think anyone would buy a new Merc over the BMW is because they simply don't want a BMW. There really is no genuine argument to buy a Merc C Class over the 3 series, or the E Class over the 5 series. The BMW drives better, feels more solid, is quicker, far better economy, lower tax rates and is now more comfortable too.
OK, that may be a little unfair, there is no 330e like there is a 350e from Mercedes, and the E Class has a much bigger rear load space, so if you need that space you don't really have a lot of choice, but there is no argument anymore along the lines of "Oh, BMWs are far too firm for me." anymore as Mercs now ride alot harsher than the equivalent BMW.

I love my Mercs, but as much as I wanted to love my 2010 E350 estate when I picked it up, I knew straight away the BMW I had just let go to get it was a huge mistake, it wasn't just slightly behind the BMW it felt like jumping out of a German marque into a Kia. Compared with the S210 and S211 I had before it just felt cheap.
However, I do feel Mercedes are righting that with this generation of cars, the new C Class feels far more solid, the new ML feels much more plush than the previous generation, and even the facelift E Class feels so much better, which is a great sign for the new model next year, but for now, I wouldn't write off a current BMW, you could be missing out on a much better car.

The problem is, as Dryce says above, new cars are all getting boring, they are just dull, they are too heavy, they have horrible electric steering that detaches you from any kind of fun and the whole package feels kind of numb.
I sold my 2010 5 series touring as that is what I thought myself, and to be honest I thought if I wanted comfort and calm I might as well go back to another E Class as Mercedes do it better than anyone else, it was only when I collected the E Class did I realise that the BMW was actually still very focused compared to the Mercedes, just cars in general were getting dull.

Take one out and see for yourself, you might be surprised. There are lots of views made based on the cars up to 2010, after that BMWs have changed quite a lot.

I wonder what loyal BMW owners think of Mercs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom