The Dartford Tolls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Does anyone else think that the way the Dart Charge has been run is absolutely crap?

Went through it at the weekend and although I have an account, I'm still surprised at the poor signage on the lead up and exit to the crossing. I can only imagine the number of people fined who were probably none the wiser rather than forgetting or deliberately not paying! I think I saw two signs showing the cost to cross, obviously no where to go and pay but probably another couple of signs that say 'Pay Dart Charge'.

Also, I have an account which had about £3 odd in there when I went one way and I topped up going the other. I receive an e-mail today telling me that my account is below the minimum £10! I appreciate that going below £0 is not ideal but with £9 or so in there, I've got enough funds for three crossings at least. So why the need to hold on to £10 other than the amount of interest accrued by having thousands of £10 sitting in their bank.

Yes. I drove through it unwittingly without paying. Though I did get a letter in the post saying that because it's my first time, I can pay the usual amount, but next time it will be a fine. So presumably my situation is not uncommon....

Yes. I drove through it unwittingly without paying. Though I did get a letter in the post saying that because it's my first time, I can pay the usual amount, but next time it will be a fine. So presumably my situation is not uncommon....
I did the same.

I've sold two cars in the last two years and forgot to take both off.... lost £3 :(
Signage is poor though, however I turned off that email reminder!

Funnily enough we did exactly the same when it was first in place. Drove both directions within 24 hours, totally forgot to pay and they sent us a £75 fine (from what I recall). My partner then went to pay it and the ticket reference brought up a cost of £2.50 so we paid that and nothing more was heard. Oddly the letter stated that we'd been through the tunnel and over the bridge within the same minute so they were making a right hash of it!

I have to add all this surveillance has its benefits on the rare occasion.
I was "reported" to my insurer that I had an accident in Dorset at a certain time and date! Luckily we had been through the tunnel northbound (!) an hour earlier! So unless I flew over there, it was proof that this was some sort of fraud or mistake.
So I dropped a screenshot of my dart tag history, some pictures of the car and the rest was dealt with accordingly.

I have written and posted various threads on this subject. I am "local" and regular usage account holder with 5 cars (including family) on my account. It is a shocker that in 2018 we have a middle ages system that depends on an abacus some beads and load of good luck. Wait till you change plates or cars. Ho ho ho. That is so funny the months spent at your expense trying to unwind their incompetence.

There is nothing accidental here. The toll system has a deliberate margin of error factored into it by the private company that operates the scheme and they will have carefully estimated the number of people who are likely to fail to pay. The expected revenue projections from fines will be an integral part of their business model.

I have to add all this surveillance has its benefits on the rare occasion.
I was "reported" to my insurer that I had an accident in Dorset at a certain time and date! Luckily we had been through the tunnel northbound (!) an hour earlier! So unless I flew over there, it was proof that this was some sort of fraud or mistake.
So I dropped a screenshot of my dart tag history, some pictures of the car and the rest was dealt with accordingly.

Now come, just admit you spec'd the option of 'Flying Mode' in your car mate! :)

Good to hear that it actually came in useful and you didn't get stitched up for an accident you weren't involved with.

There is nothing accidental here. The toll system has a deliberate margin of error factored into it by the private company that operates the scheme and they will have carefully estimated the number of people who are likely to fail to pay. The expected revenue projections from fines will be an integral part of their business model.

Oh absolutely, it's a very sly revenue maker. Much like many of the processes that go on around motoring where you know that money is the incentive way beyond anything such as safety or efficiency.

Oh absolutely, it's a very sly revenue maker. Much like many of the processes that go on around motoring where you know that money is the incentive way beyond anything such as safety or efficiency.

Unfortunately, it's standard practice in many industries.

Another obvious example is "budget" airlines who offer what initially seem like attractive fares (before taxes and other costs that they fail to mention are included). But if you deviate from narrow parameters you are stung:

- Prefer to pay by credit card ? That'll be a tenner
- Is your hand luggage a few grams over the weight limit ? You owe us £40
- Want to sit with your family during the flight ? Fiver a head
- Forgot to print off your boarding pass ? £15 please

Again, all of these are lucrative and all are included in revenue projections.

They should look at how it has been done on the M50 round West Dublin for many years. You are left in no doubt you are approaching a toll road...they have the word toll in each lane (not a big C) and a sign at the side telling you how to oay and by when. If you forget...it's deliberate. I've reviewed the signs on approach to the Dartford crossing...still trying to find a sign.

This is unreasonable..what does a big C mean to the uninitiated?

Compare the signs. Your passenger could pay for the Dublin Toll because the info is given:

dartford crossing toll signs - Google Search:

Last edited:
They should look at how it has been done on the M50 round West Dublin for many years. You are left in no doubt you are approaching a toll road...they have the word toll in each lane (not a big C) and a sign at the side telling you how to oay and by when. If you forget...it's deliberate. I've reviewed the signs on approach to the Dartford crossing...still trying to find a sign.

Ciaran?

Compare the signs. Your passenger could pay for the Dublin Toll because the info is given:

Both links are for dartford crossing ;)

Change your account type, mine is PAYG. Each time I cross within the valid period, they debit £2.50 from my credit card. if they charge me in error, I have the Card Co. who will return all funds. I don't need to have any balance with them, and if they were to make a mistake and not charge me, then I would get that benefit also.

Did you open them? Each should default to the relevant sign.:wallbash:

Here is what you should have done ;)

tol.jpg

toll.jpg

To be honest I can't really see what makes the latter so much worse, they are both pretty much the same. If you google Dart Charge it comes straight up.

The first time I went on the Dartford Crossing I saw the signs and they appeared quite obvious, but maybe thats just me.......

Here is what you should have done ;)

tol.jpg

toll.jpg

To be honest I can't really see what makes the latter so much worse, they are both pretty much the same. If you google Dart Charge it comes straight up.

The first time I went on the Dartford Crossing I saw the signs and they appeared quite obvious, but maybe thats just me.......

So you think the one that gives no phone number or web address is as good as the one that does?

So you think the one that gives no phone number or web address is as good as the one that does?

I don't think it's a big ask to expect someone to be able to type 2 words into Google.

Unless you want them to write: www. gov .uk /pay -dartford -crossing -charge.

Where are you going to write down the phone number while driving? :confused:

I don't think it's a big ask to expect someone to be able to type 2 words into Google.

Unless you want them to write: www. gov .uk /pay -dartford -crossing -charge.

Where are you going to write down the phone number while driving? :confused:
Poor memory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom