The debate moves on Tell me about Škoda Superbs please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
So my wife has moved away from the Mazda and seems to have fixed on the above. Do the forum collective have any experiences??

I had a 2nd generation Skoda Superb saloon which I ran from new in 2013 for a couple of years. It was heavily discounted which was just as well as they depreciate quickly. My car was a 3.6 petrol auto 4wd so I cannot speak for the diesel variant which is sold in the UK.

The Superb is a very well built car which does everything expected of it without drama or excitement. It is comfortable, quiet, well equipped and rides well and in my short ownership totally reliable. It is though a Skoda and to many that badge matters, especially when you try to move it on. For that reason I'm not sure I would buy another Skoda except maybe the Kodiak SUV. It's a pity because they are good cars but if I was thinking of a Superb I would probably also be looking at a VW Passat or an Audi A4/A6.

The Skoda Superb was on our shortlist when we bought the S213. We have an Octavia estate on "the fleet" and it is an excellent workhorse with lots of room for people and luggage. The Superb is even bigger and has a few more bells and whistles.
I found the Superb well equipped and comfortable but it did not exude the same sense of luxury as the S213 or V90 I tried.
Depends what you will use it for really.

Thanks for the replies so far. Not worried about depreciation as tend to but a cat and keep it for a long time. Only want to spend £10K so S213 (or V90) or of question. Its main function will be carrying 2 dogs in the boot, hence desire for large estate.

My wife will also use it for local trips. She's very good at parking and has no trouble with her W211. At home there is plenty of parking space too.

We do need to do some test drives as I am concerned the inherit will not be as nice and cosseting as the e class is. I want her to experience the difference for obvious reasons.

We are what you might call a " VAG Family", with 2 superbs, 2 Octavia's 1 A6 and 1 VW Passat . Would I recommend them? Yes, definitely. Most of the line-up are 1.6 TDI engines, with the Passat and A6 being 2 ltr. They are incredibly roomy ( the Skodas ) if room is what you want, the 1.6 TDI is slightly underpowered, but will cruise all day long at ( and above ) the legal limit. Fuel economy is good too, and for longevity, excellent. My Daughter had a 2008 Skoda Roomster ( not the most beautifull looking car in the world, admittedly, but was ideal with 3 young kids to ferry around...the centre seat in the rear could be moved forward, and used to seperate the warring factions at the time. She traded in in 2018 with in excess of 400'000 klms on the clock. She still sees it regularly in the city, driving away same as ever. We have had Skodas for many years, and way back many moons ago, I bought my first Skoda, a 1955 Skoda 440 ( if I only had it now,,,,,), which was a far cry from the 2021 model,,,,. We have never encountered any major problems with any of them...they are serviced regularly and on time. So, yes, I have no proplem recommending them.

Hold their money remarkably well £ for £

1.6 TDi couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding and is quite poor on fuel when you consider the sacrifice of power.

Essentially an Audi underneath but the switch gear and feel of the cabin certainly aren’t (but then they are a fair chunk cheaper in mitigation.)

DSG gearbox is fantastic, 6 speed a little high revving at 70+ though.

At your budget I’d be looking at a VW Alltrack though if going the VAG route, I’ve had two and they’re brilliant allrounders.

......and the boot on the estate is mahoooosive. 👍

I may be winning the fight and be successfully steering my wife towards the E350

Reactions: hgb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom