The demise of my W202... I think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
I'm actually genuinely heartbroken to even open this thread... but I think i'm going to have to break my car for spares or something...

Upon returning to the UK, I had a look around the car only to find the following problems:

1. Head gasket; i drove it to the shops and back and it was misfiring badly on idle alot, so i just did a quick check and the oil was yellow, with droplets of coolant all over the dipstick, oil cap was also yellow. :(
2. Water pump is leaking coolant :(
3. ABS sensor went, again!
4. The diff is whining... again!
5. The starter motor sometimes doesn't catch on... it makes a horrible clicking clunking sound when i try to turn the car over, the car doesn't turn first time.
6. There was oil in the air intake (breather problem)
7. Front pads needed :p
8. MOT & tax both run out this month

So it looks like a no brainer really... going to SORN it and in the mean time try to find a place for it (because thats non-existant in my street) and start breaking it for parts... I know i've said this already but its absolutely breaking my heart to do this because i have loved & cared for this car from the day I had it... (Feb 2007!), i've never kept a car as long as i've kept this...

I dont even think my dad neglected it that much... just a collection of things that all happened quite close to each other and now its gone!

I think i'm going to try & find my dad a w210 220cdi or something... he's doing about 500 miles a week so it makes sense...

So upset :(

sorry to hear Adam. its hard when your pride and joy gets hurt, obviously its fixable but at what cost, i think your doing the right thing. good luck finding a replacement mate ;)

It does sounds well and truly borked :( I'm guessing the put right cost is more than it's value right now?

Bye Bye another w202 :( I feel your pain!

Can you not do the head gasket yourself? it seems the headgasket and diff are the main jobs, Ive never done a mercedes head, but if i were closer, i would do it for gratis. dont give up on it yet :)

Post the spec of the car and let the vultures descend.....

Has it got a leather interior by chance?

:)

It does have full cream leather interior with electronically adjustable drivers seat... I will make a seperate thread in the for sale bit to list the bits & bobs.... I'm going to need a drivers seat from another w202 though... so i can move it (it still drives!)

I'm actually so down, the feeling is similar to the one when you break up with a girlfriend you really liked... :rolleyes:

sorry to hear about the motor Adam, look at it as a positive and time to move onwards and upwards!

Please list the parts left so at least we can contribute to the fund for your next car.
I have often thought about replacing my C230K and never quite had the cold hearted financial logic to write it off (and I count beans for a living). However, it does seem to be a case of too much to put right in your case. I saw your gallery of photogrpahs and it is so obvious you really cared for your car. Some people have dogs, cats, horses etc but for me it is the car I drive. Hopefully your car will stay on the road > at least as bits in other people's motors. It's a little bit like carrying an organ donor card but with cash involved.
There are one or two W202 C230K's on the market at the moment for around £2k to £3k but at 11 years old will require a careful inspection.
Les

Maybe you should be grateful you've had the problems hit you all at once rather than one by one. At least this way the decision is that much easier.

Do feel for you though. There must be a lot of Mercs out there that are only 2 or 3 problems away from the scrapyard.

Adam, sorry to hear about the motor, but have you the patience to ressurrect it. Head skim and gasket, and a diff, if it's getting you so down in the dumps, then have a go at fixing it. The sense of achievement and satisfaction of breathing new life into the motor, will, I have no doubt, give you rewards in the years to come. Spend a bit to get it done, and if the worst comes to the worst, you have only that to lose, whereas, if you break it now, you will never know. I still have my 51 plate Alfa 156 on the drive, never had the heart to get rid, always said I would give it the engine transplant it deserves, unfortunately, up to now, I can't find the time. Give it a go mate, and make your heart skip a beat when it fires up after some TLC, as opposed to letting your heart break, breaking the car.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom