The Demise of Solid Colours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Interesting article on Car Buyer on the cost of car paint. Not much in it really from make to make although the special paint jobs like MERCEDES designo are obviously not covered. Car paint: avoid getting ripped off | CarBuyer
What is interesting however is their assertion that low cost "solid colours" are virtually disappearing from car brochures. The recent popularity of white was a slight hiccup to that but the manufacturers soon managed to get round that one with " special finishes" like Diamond White instead of Calcite White. :rolleyes:

I hate the metallic whites as I don't think they look right.

Also solid red is still very popular.

My sister has a triple coat white pearlescent on her newish BMW Z4. A roof tile fell on the bonnet leaving a small mark - BMW quoted £3500 to do it, then £2500 when told to sling their hook. Even at an independent bodyshop at mates rates it was a £1000 plus job.

I bought my last car in solid red, expecting it to be a lot easier to buff the odd scratch out or do wonders with T Cut. It was the worse car I've ever had for tiny stone chips, even on the roof and was prone to damage at the slightest little touch. Worse, some idiot put it on top of white undercoat, so chips stood out like a sore thumb. Never again.

I agree that the MB metallic white isn't attractive - it's the colour of bad fat. But Hyacynth Red is very pretty, it's a pity that the waiting list is so long and they want to charge an extra wedge.

Most of all, I'm not so much unhappy about the demise of flat colours as about the there being nothing with any life in it. For the larger vehicles there's four shades of grey black, or a couple of dark blues. Audi is even worse. Jeesh, I know we are in austerity times but why can't I have a car with a bit of sunshine in the colour without paying premium prices? I'm thinking about a B-Class and will probaby have it in South Sea Blue just for a bit of a lift.

Last edited:
Flat black is v popular in Germany. Most of the outside-lane speed merchants are in black Audis, Mercs & BMWs

The taxis are the exact shade of Bird's custard powder when you add a little bit of milk

Nick Froome

But Hyacynth Red is very pretty, it's a pity that the waiting list is so long and they want to charge an extra wedge.

I loved HR in pics. In the metal, it is disappointing and not red enough for me.

This Midnight blue on my W124 coupe came up rather well!

charles-morgan-albums-my-w124-coupe-first-pics-picture2230-when-all-once-i-saw-crowd-host-golden-daffodils.jpg

a 911 in guards red :)

Wot! you mean there are other colours apart from silver :D

Flat black is v popular in Germany. Most of the outside-lane speed merchants are in black Audis, Mercs & BMWs

The taxis are the exact shade of Bird's custard powder when you add a little bit of milk

Nick Froome

Merc is having major problems in the USA with flat/matte finish paints on some very expensive AMG builds.
Seems that if a panel needs repair for whatever reason including delivery damage, it's almost impossible to match the existing finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom