The detour from Hell: 12.2 miles instead of 300yds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Row over 'detour from hell'

By Bo Wilson, Evening Standard
9 December 2004

A row erupted today over the traffic diversion being dubbed "the detour from hell".

Drivers approaching roadworks on Holland Road, south of the Holland Park roundabout in west London are being taken an astonishing 12.2 miles out of their way.

Without it they would travel about 300 yards

Motorists driving north up Holland Road towards the roundabout are forced to turn back on themselves and negotiate a meandering circuit devised by Transport for London.

Today, Councillor Greg Hands, Conservative group spokesman for Hammersmith and Fulham, described the epic diversion as "potty".

He said: "I have had many complaints about this. The scale of the diversion is ludicrous and TfL knows that the A4 - the central London to Heathrow route - is officially London's busiest road. And I have been told Hammersmith Broadway roundabout (which the diversion crosses) is one of the busiest road junctions in Europe.

"This is a potty scheme by TfL to divert yet more traffic this way."

Northbound motorists are stopped on Holland Road at Addison Gardens. With the road blocked off, they are turned back on their tracks to follow Warwick Road south, then sent west on to the busy A4 all the way to the start of the M4.

Next, the diversion signs send them north up the A406 to the Hanger Lane gyratory system before redirecting them back towards central London down the A40 Western Avenue and Westway.

Finally, drivers must veer south down the West Cross Route - to find themselves on the north side of the Holland Park Roundabout - 300 yards from where they started from.

Paul Watters, head of road policy at the AA, said: " Diverting London's traffic is always a contentious issue because the A-roads are the main routes and any diversion has to take account of the vast volumes of traffic.

"Alternative routes are unsuitable for heavy traffic, hence the length of a diversion like this one. Locals know shortcuts but strangers face the whole length of the diversion."

The diversion has been in place since 24 November and will remain until tomorrow.

A spokesman for TfL said: "London is a crowded and often congested city and when necessary works have to be done, the short-term diversions can be difficult with road space at an absolute premium.

"A balance needs to be struck between the travelling public and local residents and in this instance, although the signposted diversion is a long one, it is the only route which can successfully accommodate the volume of traffic which uses the Holland Park roundabout."

Tell me about it,It took me an hour the other evening!!

Seems like a good test for the numerous navigation systems :)

Would they cope and how easy would it be to program a diversion?

Seems the ideal example of what TMC might be capable of?

Regards,
John

I once set my old Lexus navigator to get us from an NCP car park to our hotel (Novotel Tower Bridge) which I could see from where I was sat and was only about 200 yards away. The sat nav took me over the River Thames twice and across Tower Bridge and London Bridge in humungous traffic ! I nearly smashed the screen in sheer rage :devil:
I think I set it to motorway priority by mistake :(

culpano said:
I think I set it to motorway priority by mistake :(
I forgot to tick motorway when navigating to someone's house, while actually on the motorway. It said to come off at the next junction and the distance was way higher than I expected. After a few minutes of head-scratching it dawned on me ;)

Comand is usually very good with diversions, a road was closed (wall collapsed!) on the way home from work a couple of years ago and I was forced to find another route. A bloke with an Alfa asked if I knew where I was going and I said I had satnav, "good enough for me!" he said so we blasted down miles of obscure b-roads for a few minutes in order to get back on track! :D

Comand will also make up diversions for you if there is a queue on the motorway and you want to skip a couple of junctions, I've used that a couple of times and it's quite slick, even tells you how many miles of diversion it is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom