The Diamond Jubilee Concert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I liked how all the American artists thought it was her birthday.

Er it is her "official" birthday.... which is celebrated on the 1st,2nd or 3rd Saturday in June by the trooping the colour.

Summed up what it means to be British for me.
Hundreds of people working their ****s off while the rest of us sit on ours and whinge about their efforts.
Agree about Charlie's words being the highlight. Much funnier than any of Lenny Henry's.
Just one thing though. If they can project those amazing images during Madness's set, how come we have to look at an upsidedown French flag during the finale?

I used to really like Cliff back in the very early days when he was a rocker, but now..............best left unsaid.
Actually it would have been better if he'd left it unsung. Hopelessly off key for all the higher notes in the performance. Robert Plant is wise enough to know that he can't hit the high notes he used to in his youth so sings a different arrangement. Pity that Cliff Richard didn't have the sense to do the same :(

Personally I thought the sound balance was a bit variable, but only a couple of times was it bad enough to draw real attention. I agree with MOCAŠ that Robbie Williams' opening rendition of Let Me Entertain You was pretty weak and it gave me the impression that he just hadn't bothered to warm up before the performance. The arrangement missed a huge opportunity too.

As others have already said, of the UK "legends" only Tom Jones put in a creditable performance, with Elton John and Cliff Richard definitely the worst. Annie Lennox wasn't that good either. Stevie Wonder was good (but not as good as his backing band) and Grace Jones was completely surreal. Such a pity that they only let Jools Holland & Ruby Turner perform one number; they could have done a great set with Tom Jones and the rest could have watched :rock:

Mostly enjoyable, though many were off key, I appreciate the difficulties in such a venue, but wearing an earpiece you should be able to hold a note. Watched Springwatch in the middle, so will check out the acts I missed later. Thought the firework display was excellent. Glad the weather held.

Pity that Cliff Richard didn't have the sense to do the same :(
Great concept but lacklustre execution. I initially wondered why he was doing what appeared to be a very cheesy medley - especially the grossly ill-advised inclusion of Devil Woman ("She's just a devil woman, with evil in her eyes" - for the Queen!) - until I realised he was doing what probably only he could - performing a hit of his from each decade of the Queen's reign (well, sort of).

I suppose he had to sing Congratulations, but he might at least have had the good taste to make some adjustments to the lyrics...

Better song choices and performance would have made his contribution truly memorable.
As others have already said, of the UK "legends" only Tom Jones put in a creditable performance

Let's not forget Paul McCartney, who rarely disappoints and did not disappoint last night. All My Loving was an inspired (if slightly inappropriate) choice to reflect the sheer love shown towards the Queen over the course of the weekend. But Live and Let Die was spectacular as always, even moreso with the well-judged pyrotechnics. Best of all, he and his band were just so fully engaged with their performance, unlike Mr Williams who looked like he'd rather have been somewhere else.

Grace Jones was completely surreal.

For me, hers was the highlight performances of the evening (behind Live and Let Die). Quite how, at 64, she still manages to cut such a statuesque figure - and how she managed to hula-hoop throughout her performance of Slave to the Rhythm is beyond me. I suspect some kind of Voodoo was at play...

Sound quality was disappointing. I get the feeling it was relatively unrehearsed.

Stage changeovers and lighting were OK though, notice Lang Lang (steinway sponsored) and Elton(yamaha endorsee) meant swapping 9ft Steinway for a 9ft Yamaha.

No excuse for the poor broadcast sound really, OB unit should have had a split from the stage and be responsible for its own mix and fx.

I just enjoyed the show, given the event it seemed inappropriate to pull it apart.

Was it me or did we hear an accidental short burst of Kylie's "Lip Sync" backing track starting up just before she actually got on the stage?

Reasonably entertained. I found most of the "comedians" embarrassing as they attempted to use up time between the acts. With the exception of Peter Kay. Lennie Henry getting Rolf (I didn't expect this) to sing two little boys then spent longer trying to get him to stop, than it would have taken to let him finish.

Strange that the Queen missed Tom Jones, possibly the best artist of the night. The gorgeous female soprano had her act destroyed by what appeared to be a non working microphone which would start working at odd times.

The gorgeous female soprano had her act destroyed by what appeared to be a non working microphone which would start working at odd times.

Clearly a tribute to Norman Collier, who is the same age as The Queen. Just be grateful that Ms Fleming didn't do her chicken impression...

Clearly a tribute to Norman Collier, who is the same age as The Queen. Just be grateful that Ms Fleming didn't do her chicken impression...

Was the Wheel tappers and Shunters Club (Affiliated!) set in Doncaster? :D

Agreed sound was very poor but there must be no acoustics at all in an open setting like that. Elgin John sounded like he had a lisp, Mackems the knife was ok, Kylie's still fit and Jones is still the voice. Rolf was an excellent compere but is Lenny Henry the most racist man on TV

Do you know I was thinking just about all of that.
More so I'm wondering why anyone ever found Lenny Henry funny, whatever he had its long gone now, and why does he keEp on playing the "black" card.

Do you know I was thinking just about all of that.
More so I'm wondering why anyone ever found Lenny Henry funny, whatever he had its long gone now, and why does he keEp on playing the "black" card.

More to the point why do people keep putting him on the telly. Along with Jimmy Carr who goes out of his way to offend rather than just being funny. Carr genuinely believes that offense is humorous.

worst performance of the night - Gary Barlow and Cheryl Cole!!:wallbash: I had to switch over.

Did anyone else think Tom Jones doing Delilah with a mariachi band was awesome? for me that was the highlight :bannana:

. Along with Jimmy Carr who goes out of his way to offend rather than just being funny. Carr genuinely believes that offense is humorous.

Pah!

I booked him in the 1980's when I was Treasurer of a Sports & Social Club. He was a complete a*se then, and he seems to have refined his skill since :rolleyes:

Did anyone else think Tom Jones doing Delilah with a mariachi band was awesome? for me that was the highlight :bannana:
Yes, that was definitely one of the highlights for me. It was nearly as good as the SAHB version...

Er it is her "official" birthday.... which is celebrated on the 1st,2nd or 3rd Saturday in June by the trooping the colour.

Cheers, i must have been confused by the Diamond Jubilee bit.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom