the difference between Cd and Dvd Sat-nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neo-20

Hi!
It seems that finaly I'm goingo to get a W 211 E 270 CDI, with a little more than 8.000 miles. I was told it was made in May 2004, and that the command with sat-nav is based on a Cd. Besides what I'm aware about the difference between Cd and Dvd, mainly its capacity, is there anything crucial that someone can tell me about these units being different?

Thanks.

Sorry, I just found out the picture in MB site -it's the audio 50 aps unit. Is it any good? What do I loose from the dvd unit?

Thanks.

Neo-20 said:
Sorry, I just found out the picture in MB site -it's the audio 50 aps unit. Is it any good? What do I loose from the dvd unit?

Thanks.

You only lose the capacity to play DVD movies.

Aps 50

I've got an E Class with APS 50 & as per a previous thread I started, it's not so hot. I have upgraded the software to v2.2, but it still often fails to lock onto satellites & gets confused easily. It's just an arrow & voice system with a relatively small screen, and is in truth a bit basic - I would consider upgrading to Comand if I could be convinced that it performs better.

bobmedley said:
I've got an E Class with APS 50 & as per a previous thread I started, it's not so hot. I have upgraded the software to v2.2, but it still often fails to lock onto satellites & gets confused easily. It's just an arrow & voice system with a relatively small screen, and is in truth a bit basic - I would consider upgrading to Comand if I could be convinced that it performs better.

As far as I know the upgrade from APS 50 to DVD COMAND is one of the easier upgrades.

The head unit swaps over and the cables from the trunk to the head unit carry the map information from the newly installed DVD map drive.

Would take a professional about 4-5 hours.

Thanks for your replies.
I've got to add that the car comes with multi cd box, and HK sound system. If I change the APS 50 to DVD Comand, do I have to put a box in the trunk? And where? It will diminish the trunk loading capacity, or am I wrong?
I' d like to get some background from dvd comand owners on this issue.

Thanks.

Neo-20 said:
Thanks for your replies.
I've got to add that the car comes with multi cd box, and HK sound system. If I change the APS 50 to DVD Comand, do I have to put a box in the trunk? And where? It will diminish the trunk loading capacity, or am I wrong?

Thanks.

I think the scenario is this. You have almost everything you need and you wont lose much if any trunk space.

Some cables need to be added along with a concealed DVD map drive. The head unit needs to be swapped of course. A new trunk liner needs to be installed on the left side.

Shoot an email to steve @ mbenznl.com for a shipment of parts you will need and a trade-in value for the APS 50. You might even get him to install it .....

Because of the way the car is built it is ideal for upgrading. Its about as close to DVD COMAND specification as you can get in terms or wiring and speaker setup and small details like GPS antenna already in place.

thanks again Miro!
But I live in Portugal, in a galaxy far, far away from yours...

Neo-20 said:
thanks again Miro!
But I live in Portugal, in a galaxy far, far away from yours...

What Miro is trying to say is that relitively speaking your car is one of the easier cars to upgrade and that Steve travels all over doing installs, and supplies parts the world over. Furthermore Steve is actually based in the Netherlands which in reality is not to far away from Portugal.

I just got a quote from Braybrook to replace APS 50 with Comand - only a cool £3,000 with £300 back for the APS 50 unit!!

It would be cheaper to employ somebody to sit in the back with a load of maps shouting directions & pointing...............

bobmedley said:
It would be cheaper to employ somebody to sit in the back with a load of maps shouting directions & pointing...............

That accessory is called a WIFE and believe me, one of those is going to cost you MUCH more than that £3000 for Comand! :D

GordonTarling said:
That accessory is called a WIFE and believe me, one of those is going to cost you MUCH more than that £3000 for Comand! :D

You could get the disposable version called girlfriend, when it starts to require clothing upgrades just change it :D

Ian B Walker said:
You could get the disposable version called girlfriend, when it starts to require clothing upgrades just change it :D

Either one of these has the side effect of giving you an earache

Neo-20 said:
Thanks for your replies.

Thanks.

The navigational functions on the COMAND are completely different. It is DVD based so performs much quicker, updates much quicker, has a nice monitor picture, plus directional arrow on the dash. The DV will have all of Europe on the one disc, plus where the system is operating, you will have TMC. Then of course you have all the telephone options. There is a 212 page manual that you will need to get the most out of the system.

Basically if you can afford it, go for it.

Good luck with your decision,
John

If you get the Michelin CD for the Command you get TMC via Classic FM, and other Chrysalis stations. Works a treat on my W203, but isn't a patch on the Pioneer AVIC (DVD) we fitted to the wife's Citroen C8 - this lists the hold ups etc. and is much quicker than CD based satnavs. Maybe the DVD Command can do the same - I'll have a look at my brothers E270 when he gets it tomorrow (lucky git)

jeremytaylor said:
If you get the Michelin CD for the Command you get TMC via Classic FM, and other Chrysalis stations. Works a treat on my W203, but isn't a patch on the Pioneer AVIC (DVD) we fitted to the wife's Citroen C8 - this lists the hold ups etc. and is much quicker than CD based satnavs. Maybe the DVD Command can do the same - I'll have a look at my brothers E270 when he gets it tomorrow (lucky git)

I have the Pioneer DVD system in my 'stretched limo', it has the TMC system but it is not compatible with the COMAND that is fitted in the E-class 211 series.

Good luck though,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom