"The Dirty Truth about Combustion Engine Vehicles"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And more and more has a high rise vehicle in use the advantage is lost.

SUVs are marmite. People who like them really like them, but people who don’t really, really don’t! Perhaps it’s because I’m a lover, but if I can’t have a different car for each purpose, then I believe an SUV makes sense as a single car for every purpose. As suggested the practicality isn’t always about the view out and spaciousness, but also ease of ingress and egress.

Personally I’m not a fan of compromise - especially when it comes to cars, so I like small cars to be very small, I like efficient cars to be very efficient, I like fast cars to be very, very fast, and I like open-top cars to be always open - but an SUV rarely feels like a compromise, to me at least it usually feels like the right tool for the job in most everyday scenarios.

Look away now if you dislike SUVs, but we have two - his and hers - and they’re not small crossover models with efficient engines, but we’ve found them to be cars almost without compromise (in use) apart from cost and we believe that they’re worth it for the added flexibility. With winter tyres, towbar and panoramic roof, I believe that they’re the most versatile type of car.

This would be the perfect time to tax electric cars on size (footprint) and weight. This would get rid of monstrous SUVs etc.

Such legislation will inevitably also discriminate against people with large families, who need an MPV. And, since having a larger number of offsprings is more common in certain faiths and demographics, it could also potentially lead to further secondary discrimination against these particular groups in the population. And though I suppose it would be possible in principle to exempt large families, it will create an additional layer of regulation and administration required to manage it and ensure that there's no fraud or abuse etc.

I can’t hear the video because of my 5.0L V8

Sort of got a bit off topic because the video was focused on the energy required to extract oil more than anything else.

Just looking at some comparisons for work, and it would take 7-years before a Renault Zoe pays itself back financially vs a Ford Fiesta based on 12k per annum.

They are gradually reducing the subsidies as well.

I've been reading about the hydrogen cars, clearly they have their issues too; but the Toyota Mirai is a very interesting prospect - Comparable with petrol for fuel costs, but environmentally better than BEV for manufacture. Now if we could only produce green hydrogen from renewables we would be there!

What is it they say about Hydrogen being the fuel of the futre, and it always will be :)

At £66k its not exactly cheap! And because its essentially an EV + has roughly the same manufacturing environmental impact coupled to increased vehicle complexity [ tank/fuel cell/ battery/electric motor-- fuel cells like to operate at fixed demand meaning they are not suited to providing the variable demands of a vehicle electric motor without the "power smoothing "of an intermediate battery or capacitor. H2 supply distribution is likely to a problem because you can't normally pump hydrogen along pipes like natural gas. It has to be blended with natural gas at about the 15% H2 level to use existing pipelines which poses the question - what do you use the rest of the hydrocarbon containing natural gas for---its like PIPED HYDROGEN has a CO2 hydrocarbon penalty/ handicap to overcome?
Hydrogen Pipelines

At £66k its not exactly cheap! And because its essentially an EV + has roughly the same manufacturing environmental impact coupled to increased vehicle complexity [ tank/fuel cell/ battery/electric motor-- fuel cells like to operate at fixed demand meaning they are not suited to providing the variable demands of a vehicle electric motor without the "power smoothing "of an intermediate battery or capacitor. H2 supply distribution is likely to a problem because you can't normally pump hydrogen along pipes like natural gas. It has to be blended with natural gas at about the 15% H2 level to use existing pipelines which poses the question - what do you use the rest of the hydrocarbon containing natural gas for---its like PIPED HYDROGEN has a CO2 hydrocarbon penalty/ handicap to overcome?
Hydrogen Pipelines
I don't doubt that it's free from challenges, hence my point about it always being the fuel of the future. But the key element is that it requires a much smaller battery than an EV... Something more akin to a PHEV. This should mean it's far better at point of manufacture than a BEV from an environmental standpoint.

See my earlier posts about attributing scarce resources.

What is it they say about Hydrogen being the fuel of the future, and it always will be.

I was in my local library and asked where the hydrogen as future fuel power section was. ''Where it’s always been, just around the corner'' they said.

I was in my local library and asked where the hydrogen as future fuel power section was. ''Where it’s always been, just around the corner'' they said.
It is coming, though: Gigawatt-scale: the world's 13 largest green-hydrogen projects | Recharge

With investments like those, economies of scale will reduce the cost soon enough.

The focus is not necessarily on vehicle transport, it seems, rather on providing power for industrial uses.

It is coming, though: Gigawatt-scale: the world's 13 largest green-hydrogen projects | Recharge

With investments like those, economies of scale will reduce the cost soon enough.

The focus is not necessarily on vehicle transport, it seems, rather on providing power for industrial uses.

At the risk of repeating myself...... it's the jump to hydrogen (in people's mind) when the inconvenient truth that electric cars are proving to be a tougher (and slower) roll-out than expected intrudes.

At the risk of repeating myself...... I possibly mentioned this earlier - that was the use Bill Gates was promoting. Big industry such as steel production. His (not unreasonable) argument is that steel, concrete, etc will be needed not least to house the (displaced presumably) third world.

ammonia-figure-large.jpg

The problem with all these substitute green fuels for motor vehicles be it green hydrogen or ammonia is storage and distribution to consumer point of supply. They all need green electrical energy in the production but it seems to make little sense to use this green electricity to produce a fuel which then requires storage and distribution rather than simply use the green electricity directly using existing enhanced infrastructure.
As already said it makes sense at a large industrial plant scale but it seems a slightly obtuse solution for the motorist who already has ready access to an electrical supply either domestically or at an increasing density of charge points

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom