The Dragon wants another car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
My wife would like a newer car. Her present car is a 2005 SIII Hyundai Coupe, which she likes the body style of - a lot (and so do I). A very late TSIII version (a run-out special with, among other things, a larger rear spoiler and heated seats) would do very well, except that they're very rare, and only come afaik with the two-litre engine - even more limp-wristed than the V6 she has now.

The problem is, she needs a hatchback for the dogs, but she wants a car that looks sleek. Current hatchbacks, however good to drive, don't; they are too bulbous, dumpy and squat for her taste (and mine, if I'm honest, but I'm not that fussed about what I can't see while I'm driving the thing). Reliability is important, fuel consumption is not. Driving dynamics are not as important as the style. We won't buy a diesel. Price up to about £10K.

I thought I had her with a 2011 Honda Civic, but no; that's too bulbous at the back. The Hyundai Velostar, which more-or-less replaced the Coupe in the range, is too bulbous, dumpy and just plain weird-looking as well ( I can't argue with that). A MINI would fit the bill in many ways, but she loathes the styling.

We're currently looking at (sorry) Audi TTs, which might fit the bill, but I have concerns about their reliability, particularly the two-litre TFSI engine (which, I have heard, was dropped because of reliability concerns), and the DSG gearboxes.

There don't seem to be all that many hatchbacks around that she would class as 'sleek'. Gentlemen, over to you; any and all suggestions will be most welcome.

My Business Partner's wife has a 2010 TT 2.0 TFSI manual SE. The S Line is uncomfortable in the extreme. You can't get much more than a packet of wine gums in the boot never mind dogs.

A quick search on Autotrader and I've got the following hits:-

Mercedes-Benz Clc Coupe 180K Sport 3dr Auto GREAT LOW MILES 1.8

Volvo C30 2.0 ES 3dr

Renault Megane 1.4 GT Line TomTom 3dr

Volvo C30 1.6 R-Design Sport 3dr

Vauxhall Astra Gtc 1.4i SRi 3dr

Volkswagen Scirocco 2.0 GT 3dr

Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2JTS S 3dr

Nissan 350 Z 3.5 V6 300 3dr

Last edited:
We're currently looking at (sorry) Audi TTs, which might fit the bill, but I have concerns about their reliability, particularly the two-litre TFSI engine (which, I have heard, was dropped because of reliability concerns), and the DSG gearboxes.

Errr...really?

Bear in mind the 2.0 TFSI/DSG are rather like the Mercedes 320/350cdi motors in that they appear across most of the model range (plus SEAT/Skoda/VW in this case).

Yes, there might be a couple of more common issues reported but as a percentage of units sold they will be very minimal.

BTW, the 350Z's boot space is even more useless than the TT, no good unless you're looking at transporting a chihuahua.

Last edited:
What breed of dogs are they ?

Looks wise I'm thinking Scirocco or Alfa Brera.

I don't dislike the Volvo C30 R design but Mrs Red would prefer to have a dose of piles rather than ride in a Volvo. Each to their own I guess.

My wife has 59 plate CLC, and gets a dog in the boot in a crate.

Looks sleek, and fits your price range.

She has the 150bhp 220 CDI, and we have had it 3 years, not had an issue with it.

Ladies seem to like the CLC, and it is quite fun to drive.

Dont know how big your dog(s) is/are, we have a beagle.

1278500145-69207400.jpg

Last edited:

These Kia's and Hyundai's are quite something now, they really have come a long way in such a short time.

I was in Florida in January and there is a huge presence of both brands out there and they even produce $60K + executive models that genuinely compete with the Local stuff and European cars.

Badge snobbery (of which I'm also guilty) keeps them in lowish volume here in the UK.

We rented a Kia something or other SUV for whilst we were there and apart from Blancmange suspension and somewhat comedy steering (which appears on most American spec vehicles) it was perfectly capable and comfortable.

I had a Hyundai i30 for the last couple of weeks as a hire car and I'm very surprised by just how good it was. I never would have even entertained one before now.

Scott

Scirocco every time

E55BOF said:

The new TT is very nice, particularly with the full digital console.

I've just sold my 2.0T A4 estate which has had its issues, but Audi aren't likely to drop it. The key failures are either the timing chain or if you have a 2009-2012 engine oil consumption. Unfortunately I had both issues, the first resolved by a new flywheel and chain and the second by an engine rebuild.

If you were going to go for an Audi 2.0T either go for a 2012 onward or if you go for an older one, check its had an oil consumption test and repair(new piston rings). When I had mine done Audi weren't admitting liability for the poor design and were charging customers upwards of £5,500, despite the 2012 onward engines having the revised design. But now I believe they have seen the light and are completing the work for free.

Despite these issues, the 2.0T is a fantastic engine. Performance wise I once had a bit of fun with a C250 CDI coupe on a dual carriageway broken up by roundabouts. In fact he was struggling to keep up, yet fuel consumption (if driven properly) was 37-42mpg. The performance and economy of the 2.0T led to Audi dropping the 2.4 and 3.2 V6 engines.

Not that I've got a tendency to hammer my cars, after having the A4, the various 2.0TDI's I've driven since just haven't done anything for me which is why I went for the E350.

What breed of dogs are they ?

An Old English Sheepdog and a smallish Labradoodle. They would not go much distance in her car, just to the local area for walks, with the rear seat backs folded down; I have the E-class estate for long runs.

Last edited:
Thenks guys; food for thought there. I think it's narrowing down to a TT or a CLC. Badge is irrelevant, or she wouldn't have had a Hyundai five years ago. The Focus, Astra, Megane, Volvo and Scirocco are out on appearance; Mama no like 'um.

The Alfa looks good, but it's an Alfa; my brother-in-law had LOTS of Alfas, and every so often - much TOO often - he would go down to the dealer and empty his wallet into the till. By his account, Alfa dealers are worse even than Mercedes dealers...

There's a TT on eBay she particularly likes (item no. 251817850717); would anybody advise against?

I quite like the spec of that one, although for our use a TDi is more likely.
Price seems a bit strong for that age but maybe thats just me:eek:
edit: might be a bit tight in the back for an OES?

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the 350Z (sorry, RedC220); it looks ace, but there's that massive bar across between the rear strut towers, which doesn't look as though it comes out, so no go.

The rear seats will always be folded when the dogs are in the car.

Thank you again, guys; still deliberating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom