The dreaded balance shaft issue - 2006 C280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RolandK

Car
Still window shopping!
I'm tempted to buy a 2006 C280 but am aware of the potential expensive issue with the balance shaft!
The car has only covered 11k miles and been religiously service each year by MB main agent. Would this mitigate the risk of getting problems with the engine or is it not mileage related.
The car is for sale at a dealer for £9000,
Opinions and advice gratefully received.
Thanks

Is a car like this worth £9,000?
Regardless of milage there can, and will be many age related issues to deal with at some point.

Rust is not unknown, especially on the hard to see areas around subframes as well as the more usual areas such as wheel arches, cill, doors etc.

Thanks DSM,
I'm going to see it tomorrow and will give it a good 'once over'. I'm expecting it to be mint for the money. And then I expect to negotiate if I decide to go ahead!
It has a good MOT history with just advisories for perished tyres where it just wasn't being used. I guess a few suspension bushes and hoses may be going the same way?

I've been doing a bit of digging and it seems that MB fitted improved parts from engine number 272930468993.
Engine number of possible purchase is
272940302151 so looks like it'll be ok.
Unless someone knows otherwise.......?
Cheers

I've been doing a bit of digging and it seems that MB fitted improved parts from engine number 272930468993.
Engine number of possible purchase is
272940302151 so looks like it'll be ok.
Unless someone knows otherwise.......?
Cheers
Hopefully so. The low milage is in your favour although no guarantee itself but it looks like it's worth checking out 👍👍

Thought I'd ring the dealer before setting off from home and the car's sold! So the hunt goes on!
Thanks for your inputs. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom