The dreaded lack of power on 320cdi !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hodgyclk

Car
Mereceds CLK 320 CDI Sport
Hi,
I know this subject has been widely covered on the forum and I have searched and read tons of threads but the problem I am experiencing is very specific so just wondered if there was anyone out there who could suggest what might be causing it. My car is a 2009 clk 320cdi with 60K on the clock, and before anyone asks I have had it hooked up to STAR and there a no fault codes showing. Also as of yet there has been no engine management light coming on.
Ok here goes: My car is showing the usual traits, every two to three days randomly it will lose power with no kick down and then when restarted everything is fine, however what I have noticed is that as well as the loss of power when you come to a standstill in traffic it feels like the engine is not ticking over as smoothly. It is by no means rough and it is a very subtle difference felt through the seat/steering wheel, but it definitely doesn't feel as smooth as when you restart the engine and everything is back to normal. Another thing I have noticed in conjunction with the lack of power and slightly rough tick over is the gear change which becomes more harsh particularly when it is down changing in lower gears ie 3rd to 2nd and then 2nd to 1st when you are coming to a stop, again this disappears after restart and it is back to its wonderfully smooth self.
I don't know if these symptoms will help diagnose what the problem might be but any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated as I love the car and this is really starting to get me down.:mad:
Thanks

Might be the MAF - I understand that this doesn't always throw up a fault in STAR and it will cause loss of power etc. If you have the know-how and a voltmeter, it is possible to check the output - do a search on here and I'm sure you'll find how to do it.

Hi, thanks for the response, I was thinking that was my first port of call as it definitely feels like a breathing/air issue rather than anything else. I also saw a post on here where someone mentions about removing and cleaning a pipe at the front of the engine (photos attached) when they were also experiencing similar problems. Does anyone know what this pipe is and what it does?
Thanks

100_5855.jpg

100_5856.jpg

Sorry, don't know what that pipe does.
Here's a note I have saved about the MAF voltages - you need to measure with the engine running and the MAF connected, but you should be able to get a test probe into the back of the plug.

Mercedes MAF Sensor Voltages

Pin1 = not connected
Pin2 = 12v
Pin3 = Gnd
Pin4 = 5v
Pin5 = variable o/p (2V at idle to 4.5V at full power)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom