The dreaded No3 glowplug...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul64

Car
1995 W124 E300 Diesel estate (250k miles), 2008 CL63 AMG, 1969 Triumph 2.5PI, 1975 Triumph TR6
Had the yellow light stay on after starting this week and just checked - no3 glowplug is kaput...
I have spares but, no 3 is the one behind the fuel pump. Having had a look, I can break off the connection and get a short socket onto it however, if I remove the fuel pump atmospheric correction chamber - 27mm I think - from the top of the pump, I can use a double-deep 12 and do it ‘properly’...
Question - does the chamber just unscrew or will I be damaging something within??

Look forward to hearing thoughts - I don’t want to break it with only 300k on the clock..!!

Paul

Why not just leave it? Should still start fine with 1 out.

I'm sure i done a set of glow plugs in a w124 estate 300d when i was in the garage (assuming it is the 300d) and pretty sure it was a piece of piss? if i remember right all i had to take off was the intake trunking over the top of the cam cover and used 1/4 drive socket set with a wobbly end to get them all out? not 100% sure as its been a while but even taking off a fuel pump connection it just requires a rebleed anyway at the fuel filter housing :)

I have only 4 cylinders with one glow plug gone and the car still starts fine, has done since last service in March when I was advised of labour cost to replace the glow plug :(

The car starts fine, though a bit lumpy now it's getting colder. I have spare glowplugs and am not bothered by the labour as I enjoy the work - it was more a question on the fuel pump chamber and whether it could be removed - to get onto the end of the plug with a 3/8 drive, which I suspect it might need having changed some of the others, the chamber would have to come off unless I get some 3/8 square bar for the end of the socket to make a square drive extension for a spanner. I think 1/4 drive might be too small for the torque required in this case - the others have been pretty FT when replaced...

Stick some release oil down the hole and let it work in then give it a try, sometime leaving the car running and getting some heat into it also aids removal, just a tip for up if it’s pretty tight :)

Thanks for the tip - I did that last time when it was unscrewed but held in with the carbon build-up; it shot out and I lost it in a hedge nearby...! Good firing pressure I guess..!!

Iv only ever found mega build on glow plugs in modern engines, iv never had a bit bother on any older design diesels, dunno if it’s just good luck (which is few and far between) every time they have come out

I would stick to 1/4 drive as the the shear off TQ is quite low.

Got the plug out last night - snapped the extended end off with a ring-spanner, gave it a couple of taps with a drift and used a socket - came out fine in the end. The new one went in after cleaning out the recess with a wire brush and tightened up with a couple of ring spanners with differing hex positions.
I did however, end up with a fuel leak after moving one of the injector leak-off lines when removing the HP pipe. As I replaced these about 5 years ago with original MB hose, it was a bit of a worry to find that the pipe had gone brittle after the pipe I replaced could well have been original... Looks like the rising % of bio fuel is degrading the hose early - I changed all the pipes with some new MB hose, just in case.
I also cleaned up the electrical connection on the oil pressure sender as the gauge had become a little unreliable and that seems to have done the trick. The loom trunking running vertically up the firewall had degraded and crumbled away to the touch too - I replaced the top harness when I bought the car but this section wasn't included. I just recovered the wires with suitable spiral-wrap which seems to have done the trick.
All good now, back to normal - ready for the next 300k....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom