The dreaded valeo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gareth1244

Car
E320
I have just bought a 55 plate e320 cdi. The vin suggests the year of manufacturing was 2002. It has a valeo radiator but the rad says made in france 2005.
Am I safe to assume that valeo had sorted its radiator by 2005 and mi e hasten replaced?

Many thanks
Gareth

It's odd that a 55 plate car was made in 2002... do you have a genuine MB Datacard, or did you check this on a free VIN checker online? As far as I know MB fixed the Valeo rad problem as of September 2003.

I've seen that on VINs and assumed the 2002 would be the1st run of that design

I'll see if I can get Mercedes to shed some light but wont hold my breath.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the Valeo rad issue was on earlier cars.
I had an 05 C320 CDI and seem to remember my research told me to relax.
Beside it would have failed long ago and been resolved or written off (depending on value at that time)

Chill and enjoy. The SBC is more relevant to concerns.

Yes the sbc is doing a bit of buzzing. Next project...hopefully not as expensive these days.

The Valeo issue was up until roughly september 2003. They don't all fail and most that are going to fail will have done so long ago and been replaced

Thanks. So did merc carry on using valeo. Many threads say the replacement was a Behr unit.
Cheers

I wouldnt worry about it now - its 16 years later, it hasnt failed so far and is no more likely to fail at this point than any other brand!

I have just bought a 55 plate e320 cdi. The vin suggests the year of manufacturing was 2002. It has a valeo radiator but the rad says made in france 2005.
Am I safe to assume that valeo had sorted its radiator by 2005 and mi e hasten replaced?

Many thanks
Gareth
You should have the modified one if it was made in 2005 but you can check it,

As killerHERTZ says though, I think it would have gone bad a long time ago if it was a pre modified one

Attachments

• valeo-rad 1.jpg
    valeo-rad 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • valeo-rad 2.jpg
    valeo-rad 2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks all. Looks like I do have an updated rad. I am however concerned about the design and for the sake of 120 quid might change it anyway but can now take my time.
Next thing......ABC pump. Should I be able to hear it occasionally whilst driving the car?
Cheers
Gareth

The SBC pump can be noisy at times but like the radiator, I wouldn't worry about it unduly. It's probably been changed once already and there is a place that can recondition your own SBC pump for under £400. Worth bookmarking for future use.

yes think it was 2003 for the valeo fix

Thanks all. I'm pretty sure I'm safe...until the brakes die at least

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom