The E320 Est is dead, long live the E320 CDI Est

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
So I wrote off my ol' 150k mile S210 E320 Avantgarde 3 weeks ago. I've managed to get a smoking deal on a 47k mile 2004 E320 CDI Avantgarde to replace it. It has COMAND, 7 seats and 'invisible' towbar as extras, though no telephone phone pre-wire, annoyingly.

There is a HUGE difference between the two versions, much more than I expected. The 211 feels like a Rolls Royce compared to the Kart like 210. I don't know if the suspension of the old car had been changed or anything, but it was very stiff and harsh indeed, though it steered and handled like a good hot hatchback.

The 211 feels far better built, there's no rattles or creeks, the ride is extremely plush indeed. I haven't quite gotten used to the speed sensitive steering yet with it being quite ponderous compared to the somewhat lively and direct 210. This could be due to the Avons compared to the Michlin Primacy HPs.

I like the little toys you get to play with, the wheel and seat moving away for fat boy entry/exit, and the various light options. :cool:

The new style windscreen wipers are a backwards step for sure, though I think this and the handling are the only negative sides I can think of.
I have a few jobs to do on it though. Nothing major... changing Valeo rad for Behr and flushing the gearbox oil, possible thermostat replacement, visit to Wheels in Motion to retify the pull to the left, and a damned good clean.

Merc_s211.JPG

Merc_s211a.JPG

Merc_s211b.JPG

Merc_s211c.JPG

The poor dead car... :(

Merc_cleaned.JPG

Looks like a nice spec given I can also see the Parktronic sensors on the bumpers., and it's interesting to know you like the drive of the S211. I haven't driven one yet (had a few W203 hire cars etc) but never an E. Nice colour, great mileage too.

Ian.

Parktronic wasn't standard? :eek::doh:

I think it also has Xenons as well. Oh, is the DVD player meant to work when the car's moving?

It's a nice feeling to go back to a mid-spec car after 6 years. I had a '00 S-Type V8 with every box ticked, and that was indeed a feature rich, toy laden extravagence.

Last edited:
:D:D:D:bannana::rock:

Nice car !

That post has got bad news written all over it !

Nice car !

:D Don't worry, I'm quite experienced in avoiding it. I have a wingmirror-to-lamppost ratio to measure, plus a handy depression in the tarmac that the rear wheel rests in nicely that leaves a nice 0.5 - 1.0 inch gap to the post.

Very true. If I parked there every day I'd wrap some foam around the base of it.

Hello

Happy new car, nightmare to keep clean though especially if thats its usual parking bay...

Given that post I would also be tempted to leave the towbar on :)

Quote: I like the little toys you get to play with, the wheel and seat moving away for fat boy entry/exit

Is this standard on 211s? I had this on my Lexus and I hated it - made me think of some big overwieight porker getting into it every time - I think the feature could be disabled but I did not keep the car long enough to find out.

quote: I like the little toys you get to play with, the wheel and seat moving away for fat boy entry/exit

is this standard on 211s? I had this on my lexus and i hated it - made me think of some big overwieight porker getting into it every time.
;):d

Looks very smart :cool:

Will

Looks great, good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom