The E55 sold, the M5 is bought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But my point about comparing like with like.

The M5, the E63 etc. etc. are just the same cars as a £35k E200d or BMW 518d, where as your SL starts at £76k.
That allows you to use better materials as a base and can change the overall feel of quality.

Lol ok I agree not as classy as that rear entertainment system [emoji6]

Mercedes SL500 R231

Its a 15 year old design now though.

Compare BMW tech with Mercedes tech when they are both current.
Mercedes are so far behind it is untrue.

Anyway, why do you feel the need to come into a thread where someone has posted their new toy and start pulling it apart?
Have a bit of decorum.

But my point about comparing like with like.

The M5, the E63 etc. etc. are just the same cars as a £35k E200d or BMW 518d, where as your SL starts at £76k.
That allows you to use better materials as a base and can change the overall feel of quality.
The M5 new costs the same as an SL new so from that perspective yes they are comparable.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Hahahaha, I'll put some pics up at the end of this post :)

Cheers! I am sure I will post the odd update, it would be rude not to I guess!

LOL Gav, maybe one day. Plan is to keep this for a while.

They aren't too bad tbh. The M113k is more reliable, but it is less complex. Can't expect flawless reliability from a high revving V10 I suppose lol.

It's the sound it makes. Glorious sound. I want to drive it all the time. I didn't feel like this when I bought my E55.

Some have managed over 100k without much work. I am having the crank shells done as a precaution with uprated ones, so they should last a long time.

A few pics then!

View attachment 76646 View attachment 76645 View attachment 76644 View attachment 76643 View attachment 76642 View attachment 76641 View attachment 76640 View attachment 76639 View attachment 76638 View attachment 76637 View attachment 76636
Looks lovely. Cars with light interiors look fantastic, it's a shame they're not more popular in the UK, as they're difficult to find when buying new, and even more so secondhand. Nice choice.

Its a 15 year old design now though.

Compare BMW tech with Mercedes tech when they are both current.
Mercedes are so far behind it is untrue.

Anyway, why do you feel the need to come into a thread where someone has posted their new toy and start pulling it apart?
Have a bit of decorum.
Nothing personal but perhaps I should remind you that you are in a Mercedes forum promoting a BMW over the equivalent Mercedes, do you not expect a little flak or dissent? I wonder what the reaction would be if I popped into the BMW forum and expounded the virtues of Mercedes over BMW?

Nothing personal I wish you well with your BMW

Mercedes SL500 R231

Nice M5 they are epic.

I had a few E39 tourings and an E61 525d msport manual. A great car, when it wasn't niggling.

I'm not brave enough to run a V10 beemer though. Their Bork potential probably outweighs my net worth.

The M5 new costs the same as an SL new so from that perspective yes they are comparable.

Mercedes SL500 R231

No, they are not.

The SL goes from what? £76k to £180k

You can spec a C Class to £70k, but you don't expect it to be as well put together as S Class at the same price.

Nothing personal but perhaps I should remind you that you are in a Mercedes forum promoting a BMW over the equivalent Mercedes, do you not expect a little flak or dissent? I wonder what the reaction would be if I popped into the BMW forum and expounded the virtues of Mercedes over BMW?

This is the section where people discuss their pride and joys that are not Mercs. You do get that? ;)

You do seem to have come into every thread in here, well maybe I have noticed as it is the threads I have posted in, to tell everyone that your SL500 is better.
The thread where someone was asking about the £4k touring and I mentioned that the seats in the E60 are great and a step up from E Class seats, you then popped in and said your seats in your £72,000 SL are great.

You honestly don't seem to get such blinkered views on the BMW forums, many appreciate cars from Mercedes, Audi, Volvo etc.
I must admit that I found it incredibly infuriating on the Merc forums when I joined that so many completely dismissed other marques. Often saying things like "You only buy a BMW if you want the back end out on every corner, and that is just dangerous." Which just smacks of ignorance.
It is the same on the Audi forum.
On the BMW forum many have 130i, M135i, M3, M5 etc. etc. and then have an E Class as well for the family wagon.

There is a reason BMWs are so universally praised around the globe, they do tend to make even the most basic of cars enjoyable to drive.

Mercedes is a different prospect, it is designed to do something different to that, although the gap is seriously closing.

What I truly loved about Mercs, subtle understated design and proper comfort has been replaced by a much more blingy design (more in the UK were Elegance models etc. have been dropped) with cars being overdamped and losing the comfort of old. BMW are going the other way, less agile but more comfort, the gap is closing.

I have owned enough BMWs and Mercs to know what each offer, I think this is my 19th BMW over the last 25 years. Only owned 14 Mercs, but over 35 cars and the best part of 3/4 of a million miles you get to know which ones get it right, which ones don't and which ones offer certain things you don't get with others.
Also owned lots of Audis, not sure why? Well I think it is a like the design and the idea of them, but they constantly disappoint.

I do think Mercedes UK need to be careful though, I know they have got lots of younger drivers on board, but todays 30 year old is tomorrows 45 year old before you know it, and your priorities change when you get there, I know mine have. Walk into a Merc showroom in Europe and you have some really cool trim levels, based on elegance and comfort, which you simply can't buy here, and I still think that if you want sporty, which is the direction Mercedes UK is heading, it is fine for the AMGs, SL, SLK etc., but not everyone wants that in their C Class or E Class. Quite a few of my customers who have been long time Mercedes owners are moving to BMW, because they still offer their cars in comfort based trims, and even in comfort they are still fun to drive.

I like to have one of each, there are definitely times when I want to jump in one over the other.

I love the BMW front end, still looks bang up to date :)

I actually thing it isn't their best with this car, but tbh over the the E39, mos of the best front ends are from the shark nose cars.

I had an E60, lovely to drive but a pain in the **** for coil packs and injectors.

There was a recall around 2012/13 that replaced them all.

Yeah I know about both, hopefully mine have been replaced. I checked for outstanding recalls for my car and there were't any, but I may need to look into it.

A bientot, Mon Vieux. May see you on the other side in the Summer if I can find the right 550i touring.

zen_dog.jpg

550i is a good choice. 4.8 V8 gives plenty of oomph.

Well done & enjoy. Cracking machine the E60 M5....love it.

I'm on my 2nd E55K but have had an E60 M5 as well about 4 years ago. Been tempted to get back into an E60 M5 again or an M6 as they represent cracking VFM. That V10 is one awesome powerplant & when it fills it's lungs & up on its feet it is one intoxicating feeling.

I was very impressed on how well it handled, how balanced it was and how it felt it was pulling no weight when really going. The E55K is a whole different car and there are.nit comparable for that reason.

For me the E55K is great at anything from 1-8/10ths....the M5 is nowhere as good from 1-8/10ths but blows the E55K away from 9-10/10ths.

The gearbox had just been replaced under warranty with a new box at 60k miles before I had it. Only 6k! That was the only thing that worried me is potentially a little highly strung. The E55K in comparison is just never stressed ever.

You only live once though & to enjoy that fabulous V10 is certainly not a bad way to live your life!

Thanks! I paid peanuts for this really, I got it cheap due to being in the right place at the right time. I agree that in may ways the cars aren't comparable. The E55 with the pulley and tune felt faster, but the M5 handles better and I think is more comfy. My E55 used to crash over bumps, the suspension always felt rock hard, even in comfort, yet in sport 2 wallowed around. The M5 in comfort feels better planted.

I hated the box in the E55. Felt lethargic and dim witted. The SMG box isn't perfect though, but when on it, comes close.

Very nice. I was always disappointed that BM never done the E60 in manual. The 10 does sound nice when you bury your foot on the pedal :cool:

Oddly the USA got the manual. A DCT box would have been better. The V10 isn't really suited to the manual, the SMG is supposed to suit it much better.

Great looking car, except for the wheels :( you need a nice set of Concave Vossen's :cool::D

LOL, I don't have Vossen's money, but I agree that the standard wheels aren't lookers!

An old friend asked me to test drive both the M6 and M5 for him when they came out because he couldn’t make his mind up; after an hour in each I chose the M5 all day long, especially when I saw that the M6 was £90k and the M5 £82k.

He did choose the M5 in the end, only had it 12 months though due to multiple faults, but he did love it when it was working.

AIUI, most M5's were discounted and came in around £65k, but the M6 held its prices.

Post # 18.
Is that the dash in a £82k M5?
It's pretty crap if it is.

I prefer the dash in the E60 to the W211. The in dash screen is higher which helps, and I always found the E55 clocks writing to be too cartoony. That isn't to say that the W211 dash was rubbish, but it did remind me of a taxi.... lol

Same sort of money as an SL, prefer the Mercedes interior £ for £
e208605afc301a2fffa178360ea1a88c.jpg
29f7e36453566c996bf5a652cb83e3ff.jpg

Mercedes SL500 R231

Looks gash if I am being honest. I couldn't live with that, it looks like the dinner of a dog.

Lol ok I agree not as classy as that rear entertainment system [emoji6]
a4a43d94212f0dc464968338a32175a4.jpg

Mercedes SL500 R231

Indeed, would you believe that it is a genuine BMW system as well? I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to remove however.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Not really. The SL is probably more in keeping with the 6 series but even that is a stretch, more like an 8 series. I like your agenda though, if you want to compare a lardy coupe with a 4 door saloon then crack on buddy.

Looks lovely. Cars with light interiors look fantastic, it's a shame they're not more popular in the UK, as they're difficult to find when buying new, and even more so secondhand. Nice choice.

Thanks. TBH, I was looking for a car with dark interior, but seeing this in person made a massive difference. I'll never discount a car for having light interior again.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Nice M5 they are epic.

I had a few E39 tourings and an E61 525d msport manual. A great car, when it wasn't niggling.

I'm not brave enough to run a V10 beemer though. Their Bork potential probably outweighs my net worth.

No, they are not.

The SL goes from what? £76k to £180k

You can spec a C Class to £70k, but you don't expect it to be as well put together as S Class at the same price.

This is the section where people discuss their pride and joys that are not Mercs. You do get that? ;)

You do seem to have come into every thread in here, well maybe I have noticed as it is the threads I have posted in, to tell everyone that your SL500 is better.
The thread where someone was asking about the £4k touring and I mentioned that the seats in the E60 are great and a step up from E Class seats, you then popped in and said your seats in your £72,000 SL are great.

You honestly don't seem to get such blinkered views on the BMW forums, many appreciate cars from Mercedes, Audi, Volvo etc.
I must admit that I found it incredibly infuriating on the Merc forums when I joined that so many completely dismissed other marques. Often saying things like "You only buy a BMW if you want the back end out on every corner, and that is just dangerous." Which just smacks of ignorance.
It is the same on the Audi forum.
On the BMW forum many have 130i, M135i, M3, M5 etc. etc. and then have an E Class as well for the family wagon.

There is a reason BMWs are so universally praised around the globe, they do tend to make even the most basic of cars enjoyable to drive.

Mercedes is a different prospect, it is designed to do something different to that, although the gap is seriously closing.

What I truly loved about Mercs, subtle understated design and proper comfort has been replaced by a much more blingy design (more in the UK were Elegance models etc. have been dropped) with cars being overdamped and losing the comfort of old. BMW are going the other way, less agile but more comfort, the gap is closing.

I have owned enough BMWs and Mercs to know what each offer, I think this is my 19th BMW over the last 25 years. Only owned 14 Mercs, but over 35 cars and the best part of 3/4 of a million miles you get to know which ones get it right, which ones don't and which ones offer certain things you don't get with others.
Also owned lots of Audis, not sure why? Well I think it is a like the design and the idea of them, but they constantly disappoint.

I do think Mercedes UK need to be careful though, I know they have got lots of younger drivers on board, but todays 30 year old is tomorrows 45 year old before you know it, and your priorities change when you get there, I know mine have. Walk into a Merc showroom in Europe and you have some really cool trim levels, based on elegance and comfort, which you simply can't buy here, and I still think that if you want sporty, which is the direction Mercedes UK is heading, it is fine for the AMGs, SL, SLK etc., but not everyone wants that in their C Class or E Class. Quite a few of my customers who have been long time Mercedes owners are moving to BMW, because they still offer their cars in comfort based trims, and even in comfort they are still fun to drive.

I like to have one of each, there are definitely times when I want to jump in one over the other.

I wouldn't worry about what he says. If I was bothered about what people said on the internet I'd have a word with myself :)

I've had 3 BMW's and 1 Mercedes. I like both marques, but I also like a lot of other cars. I'm not a car snob and appreciate a lot of cars. Best way to be IMO.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Haven't you got something else to do like making sure all your "Sl's" Dust caps are aligned" or a Cup holder to clean ?

Haven't you got something else to do like making sure all your "Sl's" Dust caps are aligned" or a Cup holder to clean ?

Bit harsh mate?

Was thinking about a m5 till this thread rotfl :eek: only joking:D oh that’s a no btw
Lol haha. I’m thinking you are gonna be car-less for a while :p

Nah, he's got the missus A140 AMG to use whilst she has the nippercarrier.

That is a lovely little car isn’t it!! I wouldn’t mind one of those

AIUI, most M5's were discounted and came in around £65k, but the M6 held its prices.
Not too sure what you mean there, but the M6 I drove had a physical price tag of £89,950 and the M5 £82,100.

Not too sure what you mean there, but the M6 I drove had a physical price tag of £89,950 and the M5 £82,100.

The new price and what they sold for were often different. For instance, very few F10 M5s sold for any where near their MSRP. Most were heavily discounted, same with the E60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom