The Eagles - WOW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
Went to see them on Monday night. Unbelievably good.

The line up is;

Glen Frey
Don Henley
Joe Walsh
Tim Schmidt

plus a couple of others from over the years.

They did all their hits and gave some background into their history as a band. Joe Walsh also performed 'Lifes been good'

When they came back on for their first encore and played the first couple of notes of Hotel California, the O2 erupted!

If you are going, then you'll love it. If you get the chance to go, take it. Im thinking of going again!

I'm afraid that for me they were just a group of very talented session musicians - Walsh and Felder in particular played well together.
I can't help but agree with Dave Crosby's views on them.

Glad you enjoyed it though - it would have been a great night.

I saw the Eagles back in 1975 at Wembley stadium along with Elton John and the Beach Boys and they were superb.
Nice to know they can still put on a good show.

Rather liked these series of comments re the Eagles and Crosby on a another forum.

Crosby was a member of The Byrds, not Buffalo Springfield (Stills and Young were BS members). Crosby played with The Byrds until one day he told them - and I'm not making this up - that he was too talented to play with them anymore. McGuinn immediately agreed and punched him in the head.
Crosby was, is and shall remain a daft pillock. -----who made a fantistic album called "if only I could remember my name"

But he thinks The Eagles are ****, which has to count for something...
He lacks the talent to roadie for The Eagles.

Though, yes, somehow out of the smoke and haze of the time his one solo LP "If I Could..." did manage to emerge and it's not too bad. I think it has something to do with the idea that, if you put 1,000 freebasing monkeys in a room with typewriters there's a slight chance they might produce a script for a Will & Grace episode.

He lacks the talent to roadie for The Eagles.---
The only talent required for this would be sycophancy, surely. And possibly deafness might be an advantage.

I love The Byrds and the only contributions the Cros made were to their worst songs, most of which are outtakes as the rest of the band had the good sense to keep them off the albums.
Sadly, Mind Gardens managed to sneak onto Younger Than Yesterday. I used to think Dolphin Smile was the worst Crosby Song out there til I heard that steaming pile of ****.
Fortunately, it is followed by My Back Pages - from the ridiculous to the sublime...
When they hit puberty, Melissa Etheridge's kids will suddenly awake with an enormous desire for coke and large caliber handguns and not know why.

And I thought this forum had a tendency to waspishness .:rolleyes:
EPIC.:cool:

You say that like it's a bad thing?

As above. While they play(ed) flawlessly, they were too much like easy listening for me - yes, I DO like Hotel California, Tequila Sunrise etc, but they will never move me.

To get what I mean, listen to 'Summertime' or 'Piece of my Heart' by Janis Joplin - the band was dreadful and her voice was terrible, but they are great performances, or 'The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll' by Bob Dylan. He can't sing, he can't play guitar, and William Zantzinger is now long gone, but the song can still move me to tears forty odd years after I first heard it.

I would have still loved to have seen the concert and enjoyed the night though.

He lacks the talent to roadie for The Eagles.---
The only talent required for this would be sycophancy, surely. And possibly deafness might be an advantage.

The ability to move heavy flight cases might be useful......

I saw them at Twickenham 7 or 8 years ago and they were fantastic, despite Don Henley having a bad throat and unable to sing as much as usual. It's a shame they fell out with Don Felder because the way he played with Joe Walsh on the acoustic version of Hotel California on the Hell Freezes Over tour was stunning.

[YOUTUBE]MEpI7t22DVo[/YOUTUBE]

If you cannot get to see the Eagles , be sure to see Talon. This tribute band sound more like the Eagles live than the Eagles do!
Just how many "farewell" tours are the Eagles going to do?:rock:

I'm afraid that for me they were just a group of very talented session musicians
Funny you mention that.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Eagles - especially the musicianship - but they've never really moved me emotionally like some other bands / vocalists / musicians have and can. They're also one of the bands I always thought I wanted see live, but...

I have the live Hell Freezes Over CD in my collection and it's an enjoyable listen and sounds like it was a great gig to see, so when one of the guys at work offered to lend me his copy of the Hell Freezes Over DVD I was really pleased. However, at the end of watching it I was left with the impression that while the musicianship was great and the material good, the gig would have been about as exciting as a bowl of cold porridge. There was just no sense of emotion or real exuberance coming from the performers, which was really sad. I know that watching a recording of a gig is different to actually being there, but it just seemed so sterile :(

Sill would have liked to have seen them at the O2 though :thumb:

To be fair the guys are all getting on a bit.

DOB's

Glenn Frey 11/6/48
Joe Walsh 11/20/47
Timothy B. Schmit 10/30/47
Don Felder 9/21/47
Don Henley 7/22/47
Bernie Leadon 7/19/47
Randy Meisner 3/8/47

Their performance may come across as a bit subdued now but you might have thought differently if you had witnessed the pre gig dressing room where they all trashed their zimmer frames and then turned their pacemakers up to overdrive. --SMOKIN! :cool:

They're coming, or have been, to Glasgow and I went on-line to get two tickets. Something approaching £400 each was all that was left so we thought -what the hell- and nearly bought them...till I pressed the 'next' button and found the greedy barstewards wanted nearly £200 extra for a booking fee:eek::eek:.
No way José. I'll be watching the Melbourne farewell DVD for the 20th time before I'm paying that.

I like USA stadium supergroups - Toto, Foreigner,REO Speedwagon, Yes, but Eagles have never done it for me, sorry just plain booooring -even though as solo artists Frey and Henley have produced some excellent stuff. (Heat is On, Dirty Laundry, Boys of Summer )
My fave group from that genre has to be Giant.:rock:

DOB's

Glenn Frey 11/6/48
Joe Walsh 11/20/47
Don Felder 9/21/47
Don Henley 7/22/47
Bernie Leadon 7/19/47
Randy Meisner 3/8/47

Their performance may come across as a bit subdued now but you might have thought differently if you had witnessed the pre gig dressing room where they all trashed their zimmer frames and then turned their pacemakers up to overdrive. --SMOKIN! :cool:

Dude they are only playing guitars and singing they ain't digging trenches!:D

I think they are amazing and would love to see them live!

Tony.

If you cannot get to see the Eagles , be sure to see Talon. This tribute band sound more like the Eagles live than the Eagles do!
Just how many "farewell" tours are the Eagles going to do?:rock:

I so agree about Talon, saw them last week in Camberley, its about the 15th time we have seen them and they are always suberb.

Talon - The Best of Eagles Official Site

Dave

DOB's

Glenn Frey 11/6/48
Joe Walsh 11/20/47
Don Felder 9/21/47
Don Henley 7/22/47
Bernie Leadon 7/19/47
Randy Meisner 3/8/47

Highly amusing. They're all slightly younger than me. If you think that about our generation I assume it's OK for me to hope that your nappy is well secured so that you don't stain the seats on your lovely car with its tiny engine, being all that your mummy and daddy will let you play with? :rock: Now be a good boy and sit there quietly while you watch your favourite Tinky-Winky. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom