The Elephant in the Room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The French political philosopher Alexis de Tocqueville said “In democracy we get the government we deserve” and this is a perfect example (in the case of the US)

The French political philosopher Alexis de Tocqueville said “In democracy we get the government we deserve” and this is a perfect example (in the case of the US)

Possibly there's a lot of truth in that. But the rest of the world doesn't deserve Trump or Clinton.

The American presidential campaign has been been reduced to the level of a Reality Televison show. Trump of course hosted such a show for many years which majors on humiliation [ the Apprentice] . Its as if the boundaries between the artificial and the actual have now disappeared and the Americans now find themselves in some grotesque game show where reality takes a back seat.

Despite having become so through different routes, both Trump and Clinton are celebrities these days. We've seen celebrities do well in US politics before, Ronald and Arnold, but I don't recall two celebrities going head to head before, game show style.

Immediately after the Brexit result, many people said things like "although I voted exit, i didn't think it would actually happen". I wonder whether we'll see something similar in the US, "although I voted Trump, I didn't think it would actually happen"?

The evil of two lessers. And I say that as one who could (but will not) vote in the election.

I really don't get the Hilary Clinton as the "Queen of Darkness" thing. Sure she's a politician, she's tainted by association with Bill Clinton, she's a woman and a Democract but that doesn't distinguish her as anyone more evil than everyone else on Capitol Hill. Her major crime appears to be the use of a private server for E mails during her period as Secretary of State. Sure there may have been some embarassing stuff on there that was deleted but if there was evidence of gross breaches of security or major wrong doing surely this would have emerged by now with no doubt teams of people working on uncovering that very thing? Trump on the other hand is a guy who insists he isn't a politician while campaigning for the highest political office in the land. :crazy: Sort of reminds me of Groucho Marx's famous remark. "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." ;)

Last edited:
*Deep voiceover man.

"CLINTON VS TRUMP. WHOEVER WINS, AMERICA LOSES."

Just to add my view....

Hillary Clinton is a despicable lier but she is a seasoned politician and will get the job done. She might not do it with much diginity, but she understands well the business of government.

Donald Trump is a hard-nosed businessman and a bully. He has no idea how governments work and will simply mess things up badly both at home now broad. On the plus side, since he has little understanding of how the political system works, he will get his wings clipped by both houses and will get very little of his outrageous policies through.

J he will get his wings clipped by both houses and will get very little of his outrageous policies through.

Very true, The problem is the US government will spend all its time dealing with his nicompoopery instead of getting on with being the US.

So that will have an impact everywhere in the US and pretty much everywhere else in the world. (Not that it will be bad for everyone, but there will be an effect).

It is entirely possible they will use various actions, including impeachment, to prevent his excecutive group doing anything at all. But that will only have negative consequences too.

All of that will be avoided by putting Clinton on. And as she is a seasoned politician, the world can work with her and her government, regardless of whether they like her or not.

And the US is not unique in having politicians who lie!

And don't forget, most Americans don't know where the rest of the world is. Which is why he is still getting support.

Donald Trump is a hard-nosed businessman and a bully. He has no idea how governments work and will simply mess things up badly both at home now broad. On the plus side, since he has little understanding of how the political system works, he will get his wings clipped by both houses and will get very little of his outrageous policies through.

This isn't the case at all.

Trump doesn't have too many policies other than vague statements about "making America great again", "standing up for the poor" and promising to build a great big wall that will never be built.

If be becomes President, he will merely be the electable face of powerful vested interests who know exactly how government works and who will ensure that their objectives are met and their ideas are enacted with Trump having little if any input into the process.

The ultimate irony might be that Trump's antics lose the Republican party their majority in Congress, leading to a mirror image of the present situation of a Democrat President [ Obama] at the Whitehouse with a Republican controlled Congress. "President Trump" with a Democrat controlled Congress. It's no wonder leading Republicans are doing their best to distance themselves from "the Donald"

...Remember, Bill will be calling a lot of the shots behind Hillary. He obviously does what he is told by the 13 families...

...Trump...If be becomes President, he will merely be the electable face of powerful vested interests who know exactly how government works and who will ensure that their objectives are met and their ideas are enacted with Trump having little if any input into the process.

So who actually rules the American people?

Some of our esteemed members on here do not seem to believe that America is governed by the people and for the people.

Well I guess in the land of the free, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

irrespective of that, the link does explain how the US government works. Which actually makes it impossible for corporations to control it.

Still, you can't make people believe something they don't want to hear can you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom