The Elephant in the Room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely better to have a populist left wing leader than a populist ultra right wing leader?

Both are below my 'stay' threshold............

There is a lot of talk as to how Trump will warm up the relationship with Putin, after the latter having been alienated by Obama.

It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

Obama and Putin fell out over the Iran sanctions, the Cremea, and Syria.

But what can Trump do differently to Obama?

He said he will bring pressure to bear on Iran if it does not honour the agreement it signed (which it doesn't). So no concessions there.

And will he withdraw support from the Anti-Assad forces in Syria?

And accept Russia's annexing of Cremea?

Does not seem that he has many options here, really.

Well looking through the posts I was one of the few to want Trump to win,people are fed up with these no all politicians,who always want to seek the middle ground,who want to keep telling us what is best for us,at the same time climbing the greasy pole for a even better job earning more and with the promise of a gong at the end of it,Trump beat half the celebs who all came out for Clinton and of course the Obamas,today Obama looks like the pet dog has died,he and the others have realized that they do not have the american people behind them,it is earth shattering for the movers and shakers.

All the wailing and gnashing of teeth on Facebook is cracking me up. As its mostly coming from people who won't be affected in any way.

The Death Penalty

Abortions

Gay marriages

As the Chinese say, we live in interesting times.

No they don't, they say REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair can we find a politician in the last 60 years that 'kept to their promises'?

800px-FDR-April-11-1945.jpg

The last man who got the USA back to work will a hard act to follow. :dk:

Some politicians do keep some of their promises... David Cameron kept his promise to have a Brexit referendum... :doh::D

Ultimately, no one keep all their promises.... however when a goal if feasible and realistic but can not be achieved due to political reasons (e.g. coalition government), or practical reasons, or because circumstances have changed, etc, then this is understandable.

But when a promise is unreal and blatantly populist, and then it is not kept because the goal was never achievable in the first place, people rightly feel that they have been defrauded.

My American friend commented yesterday - "Oh dear, now the whole world knows how stupid Americans really are" :D

Looks like Trump has already delivered on one of his election promises and banned all sales of shredded cheese.

He's now made America grate again.

My American friend commented yesterday - "Oh dear, now the whole world knows how stupid Americans really are" :D

We're all apparently so clever we knew that already .....

But remember Carter vs Reagan - we were all so superior to the US back then because they voted in an actor. That was when the Labour party was pulling itself apart and the lead up to the SDP breakaway.

Are things really that much stranger today.

I think though, that I do wonder why the US uses the electoral college system for what is really just a straight popular vote for the office of president. There really doesn't seem to be any need to have any 'first past the post' aspect as unlike the US Senate or our own Parliament there isn't any need for a regional tie in to the representation.

Feeling nostalgic and also seeing Trump today "smooching" with the establishment he purported to despise , I thought the Who's-- "Wont get Fooled Again" seemed apposite.
Particularly the last two lines of the song

MEET THE NEW BOSS
SAME AS THE OLD BOSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg

[YOUTUBE]zYMD_W_r3Fg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
America gives Grand Piano to horse

America gives Grand Piano to horse

Horse-piano-small.jpg
America has given a grand piano to a horse and is expecting some quality tunes.

“I’m particularly looking forward to Beethoven’s Ninth,” beamed horse supporter and piano enthusiast, Jay Cooper.
“A horse has never been given a piano before because, frankly, the establishment wouldn’t allow it.
“Now, at last, change has come, and America will change for the better
“There are a lot of doubters out there, and those doubters will soon be silenced by the graceful notes of Chopin, Mozart and maybe even Little Richard.”

Horse, Dobbin Williams, said, “I’m not really sure what’s expected of me here.
“I’m a horse. I am absolutely not qualified to play a piano.
“I mean… Look at these hooves and the way I am in general. I can’t even sit on the chair properly.
“Why on earth did anyone think this was a good idea?”

Cooper grinned, “We did it. We’ve made pianos great again.”

Democrat, Elizabeth King, said “We wanted to get a pianist of low-to-medium standard for the piano.
“She wouldn’t have thumped out anything exciting, but it would have been perfectly reasonable background music.
“But the people have spoken, and the people wanted a horse.
“God Bless America.”

Last edited:
Anybody else wish that Spitting Image was still around ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom