The etiquette of queing? To Queue or not to queue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree with many others here...you snooze you lose. Survival of the fitest. Two of you should 'claim' the seat while the other two get the booty.

For what it's worth I don't agree with this culture but it is just the way society is now. You just have to find your niche in society & work with it. I am often too nice but becoming harder, tougher & less compromising.

It doesn't always do you any favours being too nice but being nice sometimes often helps. I think it is finding a balance like most things. Be nice when you need to be and not so nice on other occasion when required.

In the same situation we would make sure that we can sit down first. I would go to the counter to order, leaving the rest of the Dazzler clan to sit down and immediately whip out their phones.

Haha, that sounds about right!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain Bruce.. its called manners, you were first had your order ready therefore you win in a decent world.. unfortunately its not the real world nowadays..

Try this one for size:

I like to travel by train when I can on Virgin Trains.. so you book a seat in "The Quiet Carriage" (Thats a laugh - I've yet to get one..) and you board.. you get to your carriage and "It looks Rather Busy" but you've booked a seat right??? WRONG!! You get to your seat and.. there are people sitting in your chair. You politely point out that they're in your seat and "Aww...could you not go find another seat somewhere else?" There's never a guard about to help and if they do.....well, your asked to "Not cause a scene and maybe take a seat else where..." But I wanted a seat with a window and a table.. doesn't work! You Loose..

So, I'm heading to Dullos International and my seats have been pre booked all the way.. I get on my flight and proceed to my seat and.... guess again! A woman and her children are parked in My Chair. I politely point out that... then the stewardess appears and "I'll find you another seat Sir.." But my company has paid for this particular seat Ma'am... and there it appears "I can have you removed from the flight sir would you like that??" "Umm ..no (Scuffs dirt)"

I've had the latter twice and the guy (second time) that wanted me to change wanted to pick a fight in the airport... so he goes to the toilet. I follow. I go into the cubicle and wait.. he unzips... I come out and bump into him, making him wee all over his leg. I apologize profusely with a "Have a nice day and leave.." leaving him to sort his embarrassment..

But It is all wrong.. but its just people and todays society unfortunately..

I feel your pain Bruce.. its called manners, you were first had your order ready therefore you win in a decent world.. unfortunately its not the real world nowadays..

Try this one for size:

I like to travel by train when I can on Virgin Trains.. so you book a seat in "The Quiet Carriage" (Thats a laugh - I've yet to get one..) and you board.. you get to your carriage and "It looks Rather Busy" but you've booked a seat right??? WRONG!! You get to your seat and.. there are people sitting in your chair. You politely point out that they're in your seat and "Aww...could you not go find another seat somewhere else?" There's never a guard about to help and if they do.....well, your asked to "Not cause a scene and maybe take a seat else where..." But I wanted a seat with a window and a table.. doesn't work! You Loose..

So, I'm heading to Dullos International and my seats have been pre booked all the way.. I get on my flight and proceed to my seat and.... guess again! A woman and her children are parked in My Chair. I politely point out that... then the stewardess appears and "I'll find you another seat Sir.." But my company has paid for this particular seat Ma'am... and there it appears "I can have you removed from the flight sir would you like that??" "Umm ..no (Scuffs dirt)"

I've had the latter twice and the guy (second time) that wanted me to change wanted to pick a fight in the airport... so he goes to the toilet. I follow. I go into the cubicle and wait.. he unzips... I come out and bump into him, making him wee all over his leg. I apologize profusely with a "Have a nice day and leave.." leaving him to sort his embarrassment..

Sounds great so all I have to do is pay for a seat in economy and then go and sit in Business? I know that is an extreme example but lately many airlines charge extra for designated seating in economy, for example I have just paid an extra £150 for an extra legroom seat return to Singapore, if I find someone in that seat when I board and get the same response as you from the Stewardess I will leave said aircraft, fly business with a competitor and sue claiming the full cost back and make it known before I do!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Here's another for you...

So like you (above) I've paid for the extra leg room, I'm in my seat waiting for take off. I put one head phone in, its not connected to anything, the other headphone is left dangling so I can hear whats going on ... then the steward appears "Can I ask you to remove your headphones please sir?" "You can ask, but as you can see, its not connected to anything, plus I have only one head phone in.." "Doesn't matter, its your safety and we require you to pay attention.." Really?? I look around and there are at least 6 other people with all sorts of headphones, ear defenders etc all sitting giving it "Tst, tst , ..tst, tst, tst...tst,tst.." I complained about the service and.. "You can always get another flight Sir!".

Here's another for you...

So like you (above) I've paid for the extra leg room, I'm in my seat waiting for take off. I put one head phone in, its not connected to anything, the other headphone is left dangling so I can hear whats going on ... then the steward appears "Can I ask you to remove your headphones please sir?" "You can ask, but as you can see, its not connected to anything, plus I have only one head phone in.." "Doesn't matter, its your safety and we require you to pay attention.." Really?? I look around and there are at least 6 other people with all sorts of headphones, ear defenders etc all sitting giving it "Tst, tst , ..tst, tst, tst...tst,tst.." I complained about the service and.. "You can always get another flight Sir!".
It is worth an email to Head Office, on one Singapore flight (12 hours) the in-flight entertainment was not working, again I had paid for an extra legroom seat and all I was offered was a move to an inferior seat (understandable as not much else they could do at the time and no point getting ratty with the staff as not their fault), however with 12 hours to kill and internet on board I sent a firm but polite email to Head Office showing my disatisfaction and calling on them to improve their maintenance routines hopefully in time for my return trip. I got a reply within 48 hours apologising, a £120 in-flight voucher and was asked to report to their staff at the gate on my return. They found me a nice quiet extra legroom seat and the Stewardess advises that they had reserved the row behind me so I could sleep. All is forgiven and I have now remained a regular customer!

For this very reason I no longer holiday in hotels but book staffed Villas, your own pool, sun beds, butler and chef for less than a room in a 4* or 5* hotel. This villa is £50 per room per night including the above.
2bd5a22967bce07fbb3b271b6bcfa0e9.jpg
87bcf943ec96ce6bfaa82d6d05a9f73c.jpg
f6a13cffd89eb57c47b57b708606a04f.jpg
5cacf5397bad75e579f32d1408edcae1.jpg
3053457ec4abbf36ec366ddd26a90040.jpg

Yes but its in Ale

Try this one for size:

Had similar, bloke gets on plane and asks if he can have my isle seat which I had pre booked as he would probably have to get up to go to the toilet many times during the flight. I said no , thinking if it was that bad he would have booked himself a seat near one of the toilets. Guess what ? He got up once during the seven hour flight , I was getting up anyway so no bother. But what was all that about ?? Some people are just strange.

By the way Bruce I have to agree with others on here, you should have held or marked the table you chose just before the noisy family arrived.

Piss on it next time, I bet they won't be in a hurry to sit down then my friend ! :p BTW this business of being able to sit in an establishment without buying anything, that can't be right, surely the law of trespass applies ? Anyone ?

By the way Bruce I have to agree with others on here, you should have held or marked the table you chose just before the noisy family arrived.

Piss on it next time, I bet they won't be in a hurry to sit down then my friend ! :p BTW this business of being able to sit in an establishment without buying anything, that can't be right, surely the law of trespass applies ? Anyone ?

Pete well spotted. Thank you. This was more my point here. That you can (unknown and not required by me) just wander in off the street, sit down and make yourself at home, WITHOUT making a purchase. This at the cost, of any paying customers. That seems crazy to me. It's no so long ago I read people defending pubs etc that only let people who buy a drink, use their loo's (you have to get a number at the bar to get in the locked loo). Now we we have a complete roll reversal.

My friend, who owns a successful local Country Pub, near here says "squatters" (as he calls them) can ruin his business. They arrive mob handed, (usually) on a Sunday Lunchtime, Take over several tables in the "Beer Garden" then order "two pints of Shandy" and sit there for three hours allowing their kids to run riot around other guests. He then gets his "paying" customers complaining "there is nowhere to sit and eat their Sunday Lunch". He has lost paying customers to this effect and will now ask people to move if they are obviously "squatting". This annoys them and him and upsets his staff who get all sorts of abuse.

Anyway: To my situation. As I am intending to pay for drinks, nibbles etc, then I can see that "grabbing" seats is acceptable and not rude. Would I do that if, I could see I was displacing somebody else who had clearly paid ahead of me and was looking for one of the seats that I was about to grab? No I would not. I (in all conscience) would not feel comfortable knowing that I had unseated somebody ahead of me. I still retain the same ethic on trains etc. where I used to be in the majority. Now (sadly) I am in a clear minority. My daily commute, will almost always witness some perfectly able, young, suited types (male or female) overtaking older people in the aisle, elbows out, just to grab a seat and leave the older person standing. Not on my watch!! I will not have it. I am happy to stand and embarrass these selfish gits, yet I doubt they even notice. The same people who will spend 90 minutes, mimicking Dom Jolly "HELLO, YEAH. IT'S ME. ON A TRAIN... CAN'T TALK NOW. WHAT? YEAH. LONDON. NO, GOT A SEAT!!"

Oh a big shout out to the "young Ladies" at Rochester Grammar School, who use these trains. They will, without fail, stand and give up their seats to those who have a need greater than theirs.

Last edited:
Bruce. I have heard one of the train franchises in our country - cannot remember which one, there are so many- is seriously thinking about discontinuing with 'quiet carriages' because of the arguments that arise from passengers interpretation of what 'quiet' means. quiet to me is Library/morgue type ambiance...hold on , I have just thought of a new type of boutique hotel concept, must remember to patent that tomorrow :rolleyes:. Carrying on, I have been on quiet carriages with my teenage sons and they get the 'Dad death ray stare' if they (or their devices) make a squeak. But others think differently. As I type I feel so bloody old, 'moaning' about ambient noise but its more than that, its about not being selfish and not forcing your noise on someone who does not want to hear it. When I fire up my ice cold C55 on my drive I realise it makes a bit of a racket so I go easy until I leave the street, the same with my 450cc off road bike, which is 100% road legal but is no shrinking violet in the world of decibel. I, until recently, used to turn my head when I heard the unmistakable sound of a noisy single cyl 4 stroke motorcycle coming up the road expecting to see a large capacity supermotard bike only to be disappointed by the sight of a spotty teen on his Chinese moped making more noise than progress. My head is still not accepting that sitting down in someone's café/pub/restaurant without making a purchase is legal.

What a surprise that you will have to pay extra for a sunbed that has always been included in the cost of your holiday. :wallbash:

Young kids are generally useless.

One of their jobs however is of placeholder in situations such as these.

You live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom