The ex wants a merc !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The G.F.P

MB Enthusiast
seen a 1994 MERCEDES-BENZ C180

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...S-BENZ&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=2000&max_mileage

now she has about £750 for a new car and she saw this 3 miles from where we live (yes sperate houses, dont go there please)

my automatic reaction was "£1,200 merc, run, run for the hills its an evil dirty dog"

but we went to see it and its very tidy, tiny spec of front wheel arch rust, lovly interior

so ive said ill lend her the rest as in 2 years time this car will still be worth £1,000 where as the proposed 306 for £800 would be worth £50

i know the basics to look out for but any tips ?

ive done a hpi (£3.95 jobbie) and all comes back as it should do but had 7 owners (7th was this garage)

they did have it up for £1,895 but have had the car since may 2008

Last edited:
Hello

Very kind of you good sir to lend her the money :)

Looks smart (except the grille)... buying from a dealer also means you have more comeback if anything is wrong and you may also be able to get a warranty.

I would want a 12 month MOT (it may have said in add sorry) but as long as it drives well, stops, steers, changes gear and all the electrics work with little rust then for £1000 its goto be ok.

For added piece of mind you could get it AA / RAC checked or if you know any mechanics drop them some beer money and take them to look.

Pics do look good, tidy car

My dad had a C200 estate for 3 years he fitted LPG (back when he had it it was almost un heared of)

Did him well, over 100K miles

for a 1K it has to be good, I've spent more on Audio stuff before now.

Suprised no owners have added to the thread.

Unusual for a garage to register the car in their name - adding to the number of registered keepers.
Only time I've come across this before was with an insurance write off vehicle which was repaired by the trader before new MOT, etc & selling on.
As the garage is the current registered keeper, can you find out the previous keepers details & check the cars history with them?

Looks a bit steep to me; only a part service history, 7 owners, pre-facelift and over 100k.

You could proably get something similar on eBay for around £800

im guessing its in their name as last owner change was this summer

ive had a look and that is a good price but she is going with £1k and thats it

Tidy and clean it may be. With nice carpets and all spruced up for sale.
But what about the mechanicals?
You dont need much to go wrong to get a £1000 bill.
Just worth bearing in mind.

Looks a bit steep to me; only a part service history, 7 owners, pre-facelift and over 100k.

You could proably get something similar on eBay for around £800

Buying form a local dealer would comfortably be worth the £200 - £300 you'd pay over an eBay transaction.

If it's straight and tidy, it's cheap motoring. I would buy a warranty as a matter of course though....(are these any good for vehicles with 100K miles on though?)

went to see it in daylight and the rusty bits had tape on them and the tape had been sprayed a different colour to the body work, got them down to £700 then said no

found a S redg megane scenic 20. RXE (4x leccy windows, 2x leccy sunroofs, air con, pas, fogs, alloys, cruise, 89k, blue, lovly condition) £950

so she bought that (not mentioned how she intends to pay me back yet though)

cheers for the advice

(url removed)

Be careful next time!

Cheers
Chris

This would better have been sent in a PM. Suggest you delete it.

GFP: posting links from autotrader can give away your home post code. Suggest you remove the original link you put up.

You were right to walk away, the scenic will do well I am sure :)

very nice but i have found never judge a car by the price some people don't know what they are worth
like i paid £830 for mine with 2 month old rims that valued at £2250 with out tyres 11.5 months mot 4 months tax with a brand new exhaust and just serviced like i say some people don't know what cars are worth

This would better have been sent in a PM. Suggest you delete it.

GFP: posting links from autotrader can give away your home post code. Suggest you remove the original link you put up.

You were right to walk away, the scenic will do well I am sure :)

my village is small so if they wanted to get me they would not need my post code, cheers though

that is amazing, but 2.2 is pushing the insyrance a bit

Hey i have an original grille sitting my shed if u want it let me know! Otherwise that looks like a tidy car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom