The face-lifted 2008 SL (W230) - End of the nightmare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starlight

Car
C220d AMG Premium Line Plus (2018)
My 2003 SL500 (R230) has become a ticking financial time bomb. After spending my way through a series of the well-known problems, the ABC went into a meltdown (as discussed on another thread): failed strut, followed immediately by failed pump, followed immediately by o/s front suspension collapse caused by a snapped sensor road. It seems that when one part of the ABC system fails, it unleashes a financially disastrous ripple effect.

The car has to go... but there's now a 'head v heart' dilemma.

I have the opportunity of buying an '08 SL350, 35,000 miles, at an affordable price.

The question is... does the facelifted '08 SL come without its predecessors problems?

I'm thinking particularly about the suspension (have a vague idea the ABC system was modified in 2004), seals (think the design was modified), the limited-life sensotronic braking system, battery control module problems and, of course, PSE pump, the recurrent 'consumers offline' message.

So, is there good news about the '08 model that might give me some confidence that I'm not walking into another horror show?

Your experience with your 2003 SL500 has been exceptional but of course real for you and I sympathise. However, having spent the money I suggest you consider reaping the benefits.

The R230 is a great car and perhaps if purchased used, probably cheaply, you are likely to inherit some unaddressed issues.

However, if purchased with a view to keeping for the long term and being prepared to amortise any early expenses the car is likely to reward with a fabulous motoring experience.

You might give this a read:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/197665-my-r230.html

ABC was an option on the 350 and consequently most do not have ABC so if you do change check if you want to sidestep the potential for ABC issues.......personally I consider ABC worth having.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mic

Followed the link, Mic: thanks for that enjoyable, informative read.

You appear to have escaped relatively lightly on the ABC front, with (so far as I can see) just a pump replacement.

Galvanised by your encouragement, I took a test drive yesterday in an 08 (pre-facelift) SL350 without ABC. What a different beast! Really surprising to discover a marked difference in handling, which I didn't enjoy. Difficult to describe, but I thought that even in sport mode there was something akin to a 'marshmallow' feeling in the suspension and the steering felt less direct. The jury's out... I might buy the car on the basis that I'd get used to the 'normal' suspension set up.

Incidentally, unlike your goodself, I've had zero corrosion problems, but you're right of course when you say that the 30-year guarantee isn't easily invoked. I had wheel arch rust problems a few years ago on a five-year old E220 (a known problem with the model at that time). After waiting weeks for the dealer to get M-B authorisation for the body work, they told me that 'goodwill' claims can take some time. I told them that 'goodwill' was beside the point insisted that the work was carried out under the guarantee and it was authorised by M-B a couple of days later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom