The first car with integrated dashcams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
It struck me today that with the increasing number of cars with reversing cameras, that dashcam support is not yet a factory-fitted option. Or are there models that provide it already

Of course the better position is forward facing, so that dashcam could be added, housed in the rear view mirror cluster. Would be discrete and stylish. Can make use of the same Satnav display. With backup over USB stick or WiFi/Bluetooth transfer to your phone. I guess this is already being designed...

Maybe even police forces could sponsor them or in some way integrate them with their systems, to help catch bad guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is missing on the options list.

As is remote viewing from smart phone when the car is parked up. Maybe an interior cam too for dog owners.

uumode said:
Yeah, this is missing on the options list. As is remote viewing from smart phone when the car is parked up. Maybe an interior cam too for dog owners.

This would make filming 'Fake Taxi' much easier ;)

If you don't know what that is then it'll fly right over your head, lol

A lot of the new models already have cameras for things like speed limit assist and drive pilot. There's even an SD card slot in the centre console which could be used for storage.

Just needs MB to provide the software. For some reason they seem quite reluctant. Pity as they like to bang on about safety.

Front and rear dashcams can be bought for about £100, how much do you think MB will charge.

S205-FTW said:
A lot of the new models already have cameras for things like speed limit assist and drive pilot. There's even an SD card slot in the centre console which could be used for storage. Just needs MB to provide the software. For some reason they seem quite reluctant. Pity as they like to bang on about safety.
How is a dash cam a safety feature?

I think Citroen have just released a new model with a dash can as standard, others will no doubt follow suit.

Is that a more integrated version of the small plastic rubbish bin with suckers on for sticking on the bare metal door trim, like you could buy in Halfords back in the 60's? :D;)

No point in having them as standard, the tech moves on so quickly, it would be outdated immediately.

No point in having them as standard, the tech moves on so quickly, it would be outdated immediately.

I think you can make that argument about a lot of in car technology, as long as the car dumps video onto storage it will remain useful in my opinion.

How is a dash cam a safety feature?
I agree it's not an active safety system, like an airbag or ABS, but it has use as a passive system (a bit like an aircraft's FDR/CVR).

I've noticed the police are also asking the public for dash cam footage in cases of crimes/incidenct so they have a evidence and crime prevention benefit also.

I also drive more carefully knowing my driving is being recorded.

I'd prefer an integrated dashcam far more than the blindspot alert, or the daft "cornering" lights or gesture control or most of the other pointless extras there are now.

I think if you stuck a full HD camera that captures proper 1080p the tech would be fit for purpose for years to come.

Could say the same for the likes of sat nav. I've got one integrated in my E class from 2003 and my CLS from 2007, both look seriously out dated by even the sat nav on my phone!

No it wouldn't, 1080p is already outdated. 4k cameras have been on sale for a couple of years now. Even if you don't own a 4k telly, the downscaling is better than native 1080.

No it wouldn't, 1080p is already outdated. 4k cameras have been on sale for a couple of years now. Even if you don't own a 4k telly, the downscaling is better than native 1080.

Yes but 1080p should be sufficient to prove liability in a accident in a lot of cases :) especially nowadays when insurers want to settle 50/50 if the other party disputes liability.

I can't wait for holographic to become the norm. Imagine being able to relive an accident in full holographic detail, including seeing your head hit the airbag at the point of impact.

Or, even better, 'Better than Life', which immerses you in a virtual reality. Imagine reliving the moment you get overtaken by a Bugatti Veyron.

It might sound futuristic, but how much of today's technology would we think was futurist a few years back? My phone understands my voice and can answer me with a semblance of intelligence, yet a few years back a computer would struggle with accents.

TheFoX said:
I can't wait for holographic to become the norm. Imagine being able to relive an accident in full holographic detail, including seeing your head hit the airbag at the point of impact. Or, even better, 'Better than Life', which immerses you in a virtual reality. Imagine reliving the moment you get overtaken by a Bugatti Veyron. It might sound futuristic, but how much of today's technology would we think was futurist a few years back? My phone understands my voice and can answer me with a semblance of intelligence, yet a few years back a computer would struggle with accents.

Like that film with Denzel Washington

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom