The Football Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do we have any season ticket holders on here?

I'll confess to having one for the mighty Irons
icon_crest.gif

I had one at Anfield back in the late 90's.

Been a LFC supporter since i was obsessed with Bruce Grobbelaar as a young hopeful keeper. :eek:

It was not easy growing up in Manchester supporting Liverpool. :crazy:

Ant.

I love my footy, but I won't get involved on this thread which should be entitled "A can of Worms - How to fall out with other forum members".

What a silly idea for a thread. :doh:[/QUOTE

Should see the forum off when the sex and religion door opens.:(

I love my footy, but I won't get involved on this thread which should be entitled "A can of Worms - How to fall out with other forum members".

What a silly idea for a thread. :doh:
Wel, that's got him out of the way:D:D

Regarding the England team, the big problem as I see it, is that successive managers have picked "the best players" and not necessarily the best team. Until someone has the guts to rest(drop) the so called best players, we will not win anything. An earlier poster mentioned the 1966 West Ham team, that only came about because Jimmy Greaves injured himself and allowed the changes which proved successful enough to win the World Cup. As Greavsy himself would say, "funny old game"

I have had a season ticket for Man City since 1974. in fact I'm just killing time before me and my lad set off for today's match. 130 mile round trip.

Finally!

Although my opinions have changed of some people regarding the new knowledge of the teams they support :p ;)

England- need to start Rashford or bring him on earlier IMO. Have more in form players and not just big names.

BTW I'm a United fan :devil:

Happytalk73 said:
That tells us nothing Ash. There's loads of teams with United in their name. :dk: Ant. :D

United

and a

:devil: emoji in one sentence, who else could it be :D

^^^ Which of the fourteen (I think) uniteds would that be ;)

On the subject of England, Southgate carried on the tradition of picking Sky 4 benchwarmers over form players. He actually tried justifying it, saying they'll always pick players "they have invested in" even if others are playing better. This was his explanation for leaving Mark Noble at home for the Euros, even though he topped all the English midfielder statistics.

United

and

:devil: emoji in one sentence, who else can it be :banana:

Urmmmmmmmmmm:dk: not sure who that could be Ash. :D

Although I have a feeling that my other childhood hero (after Bruce Grobbelaar) played for them.

The Amazing King Peter. ;)

The game itself, I can take it or leave it. But what bugs me is people that talk about it constantly. Where I work, all day every day, football, football, football, football, football. And to make it worse, they have TalkSport on the radio. More football, football, football.
Boring, boring, boring!

Finally!

Although my opinions have changed of some people regarding the new knowledge of the teams they support :p ;)

England- need to start Rashford or bring him on earlier IMO. Have more in form players and not just big names.

BTW I'm a United fan :devil:

The selection of players on form V established internationals is a complex one. I think its often psychological rather than physical. Players that are excelling in their club side every week often seem to lose confidence/form when placed on the international stage. Whether its the extra responsibility of representing your country or that they simply come up against better/faster/stronger players than they are used to. Often its a subtle behaviour change exemplified by the "lay off " syndrome. Having received the ball in front of goal or in their half of the field they prefer to lay it off to a fellow player rather than risk an attempt at goal or a move forward to beat a man themselves - the difference between scoring and the time for the other side to recover. Whatever?? ----- I think the manager is often faced with the choice of the playing the experienced international who is at only 70% efficiency knowing that's precisely what he will get or the less experienced player who at 100% on form would theoretically be better but might be reduced to 40% in the game itself. I think the inclination would usually be - better the devil you know? The difficulty then of course being the inexperienced players don't ever get the chance to develop international experience. Responsibility for that however tends to return to the team fan base who are pretty intolerant of a manager who has to say at the end of the match " we have improved and played well as a team today but we lost"
So what makes a good manager----- well -Certainly a degree of competence and experience to get the best out his players but the rarely acknowledged "huge slice of luck" . :dk:

I think this is a great idea for a thread.
About time!
Hopefully lots of good banter going forward

I'm a tottingham fan btw

Preston North End for me.

Can't hear those words without thinking about the late great Tom Finney. A true gentleman and totally committed player. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
So what makes a good manager----- well -Certainly a degree of competence and experience to get the best out his players but the rarely acknowledged "huge slice of luck".

The thing that makes a good manager is effective communication......

[YOUTUBE]g4GXAmB1w6o[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom