The Football Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
France to beat Portugal in the final for me. Hopefully Scotland can scrape their way out of the group stage. England to make the semi final, can’t see Wales progressing.
Well what do I know? Well done Wales, absolutely superb.

^ Excellent result for Wales. They could even afford the luxury of Bale blasting a penalty high and wide.

^ Excellent result for Wales. They could even afford the luxury of Bale blasting a penalty high and wide.
Aye, Bale kinda outsmarted himself on the run up. Too fancy. Backfired. 🥴

He came close to redeeming himself seconds later when the keeper cleared. Very nearly ricocheted in the top corner. 🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally only watch the England games but was at a loose end so watched the Wales game.

What a great game Wales played!

That last bit of trickery more than made up for the missed penalty.

Very entertaining match.

I normally only watch the England games but was at a loose end so watched the Wales game.

What a great game Wales played!

That last bit of trickery more than made up for the missed penalty.

Very entertaining match.
Just been watching the highlights. England could learn about ‘desire’ from the Welsh side tonight. They were outstanding to a man.

Just caught some of the Ukraine game. I don't watch much football these days apart from the World Cup but i'm getting into the Euros. One thing though i'm finding increasingly irritating - the diving/feigning injury! I know this has always been part of the game but it seems to have developed to a comical level and i find it quite irritating. In the 1980/90's i remember Italy always had a reputation for it but it seems widespread now. I know it's to try to secure a free kick etc but half the time it seems at the expense of making good progress if they just stayed upright. Spoils the flow a bit as well.

Some of them could learn from pro cyclists (in jest!):

"In the 1956 Giro d’Italia, stage 12, Fiorenzo Magni famously broke his left clavicle and still managed to finish second overall. At the hospital he refused a plaster cast and refused to abandon the Giro in the year of his announced retirement. Magni continued the race with his shoulder wrapped in an elastic bandage. To compensate for his inability to apply force with his left arm, he raced while holding a piece of rubber inner tube attached to his handlebar between his teeth for extra leverage. Since his injury prevented him from effectively braking and steering with his left hand, Magni crashed again after hitting a ditch by the road during a descent on stage 16. He fell on his already broken clavicle, breaking his humerus, after which he passed out from the pain. They put him in an ambulance, but when Magni regained his senses and realized that he was being taken to the hospital he screamed and told the driver to stop. Magni took his bike and was able to finish the stage in the peloton, which had waited for him. Of the evening that followed Magni said "I had no idea of how serious my condition was, I just knew that I was in a lot of pain but I didn't want to have X-rays that evening".[10] Just four stages later, the infamous 20th stage of Giro '56 dawned where Luxembourg's Charly Gaul would execute his legendary mountain stage victory in Trento, haunted by snow and ice over the Costalunga, Rolle, Brocon and Bondone climbs. That day 60 people abandoned the race, and Gaul went from 16 minutes behind to winning the 1956 Giro; Magni, despite his injuries, placed second, 3 minutes and 27 seconds behind Gaul:.

I actually have a photo of Magni in the gym at home gripping the inner tube in his teeth. He had some minerals for sure.

Just been watching the highlights. England could learn about ‘desire’ from the Welsh side tonight. They were outstanding to a man.

Yeah. I did recognise a period of "Englishness" from the Wales side during that game during the latter part of the first half I think it was.

But they got their sht together again and went for it.

It’s called Hwyl

England played shite tonight, fair play to Scotland. They were the better team and should of taken all 3 points.

Kane looks off it, mount should of come off, not Foden. Saying that none of the players deserve to keep their place. Won't be making it out the group stage with that type of performance 🤦🤦

England played shite tonight, fair play to Scotland. They were the better team and should of taken all 3 points.

Kane looks off it, mount should of come off, not Foden. Saying that none of the players deserve to keep their place. Won't be making it out the group stage with that type of performance 🤦🤦

Seems to me Southgate has adopted the 1990s onwards Italian style of play by stroking the ball sideways and backwards and relying on a breakaway for a 1-0 win. They made Scotland look good.

Very poor show from England, just didnt seem to have any ambition or drive. Scotland seemed far more purposeful. What we really seem to miss is anyone who actually runs at the opposition.

For the first time in very many years I watched a whole football match this evening. I thought that I should really try supporting England. If that’s what all the fuss is about, I’ll stick to the excitement of 5-day cricket tests!

Pwoud, vewy pwoud ( Alex Ferguson talk ) of that Scotland team tonight. When you consider the average worth per man, England 80 million, Scotland 8 million ( and that’s probably pushing it a bit in Scotland’s case) that’s a great point for us. It’s all to play for......but I don’t fancy our chances too much unfortunately 😢

Well done Scotland. Southgate was very negative, playing a back four and not allowing shaw (who is shit) and James to get forward. Too many players underperformed and should be ashamed of themselves. I don’t think the game plan and system suited Kane. Grealish should have been on at half time.

very disappointing

England though unlucky not to score in the opening minutes, were just woeful. No drive, no imagination. Rarely got into the final third with any kind of intent. Very poor performance,

Scotland worked harder, showed more determination and deserved more from the game.

Sideways , backwards , short pass , Declan Rice , what an overrated player he is . It’s a pity he’s not in the Irish squad , that’s even if they would want him .

Well done Scotland. Southgate was very negative, playing a back four and not allowing shaw (who is shit) and James to get forward. Too many players underperformed and should be ashamed of themselves. I don’t think the game plan and system suited Kane. Grealish should have been on at half time.

very disappointing

As a Scot that game cheered me right up after the disastrous opening game. Steve Clarke had them set up well, they were hungry and continued to chase goals right to the very end. Billy Gilmour continues to impress, Dykes and Adams looked a handful up top, the back line held, they looked very comfortable in midfield.

Despite the gulf in experience & price, they made England look very ordinary.

One thing I don't understand is Southgate's reluctance to play Grealish. Maybe he doesn't suit the shape he wants? Every time I see him on the ball he looks fantastically creative. Much as I dislike Phillips for some of the nasty stuff he's done a club level, he & Grealish look like England's most creative players at the moment and I'd personally want both of them on the field, especially in a game like this when England's options were being constantly snuffed out by an inexperienced but tight Scotland.

Roll on Tuesday (where Scotland will no doubt crush my new-found optimism - again.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom