The Football Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Welcome to the mbclub.co.uk Football thread, please use this thread as the only place on the forum we permit Football discussions.
By replying to this thread you will agree to the following rules:

-Do not deliberately start arguments by attacking another rival team eg: Team xxxx are a bunch of xxxx's
-Do not make personal attacks on other members - as per the rest of the site.
-Understand that people have different opinions than yourself

Additional rules may be added at a later date.

Try to keep the thread from becoming heated, its a trial and its in everyone's interest to keep it running as smooth as possible :thumb:

I saw Kieron Dyer on TV the other week and he was blunt about the England team: they get picked on reputation and not form and until that changes its very likely we will be never be in serious contention in tournaments and I agree, it all started with no-one daring to drop Beckham and that mindset carries on to this day with Rooney.

The England national team could be compared to a team loitering at the foot of the EFL.
Until the FA appoint a coach with new ideas and training methods England will always flatter to deceive. If that coach is foreign, so be it if they want success.
Foreign coaches have bought limited success so far, but not one English side has an English manager with a proven winning background.

England have been in the doldrums since the late 90's and Venables Euro team IMO.

Football is a stupid game. Discuss.

Statement of fact. No discussion needed.

I should qualify this in so far as the interpretation of the game we see day in day out, is stupid. If it were played and marshalled properly it could be a great game.

I'm wondering which one will last longer - this or the politics thread :D

P.S. I'm not a football fan but watched our National team the other day and can't see what all the excitement was about.

I thought it was their 'C' team then recognised that guy from the Head and Shoulders advert

Druk said:
You mean like cricket? They don't play in the rain, stop every five minutes for TEA and nobody but them understands the rules or scoring. .
Correct. It's not a game for people who are too stupid to understand. Hence the popularity of football ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that England's poor performance at international level is down to money alone.

The English leagues are so driven by money that they have become overrun by foreign players, who then take the skills they've enhanced within our leagues back to their own countries for international matches. The preponderance of foreign players restricts the number of English players who are able to play at the top level, so they lose out on the experience and development. The supporters want to see all the top foreign players, and they're prepared to pay for the privilege, so the league clubs will happily carry on raking in the funds whilst not caring one bit about the national side.

The ridiculously high wages paid to even our relatively poor homegrown players appears to smother any pride they have in playing for their country because the money and unwarranted praise make them feel special already. You only have to look at their bored expressions during our national anthems to see how thrilled they aren't to be playing. Compare them to the rugby and cricket teams who sing along proudly (if badly!).

ioweddie said:
Come on Brentford!!!! Lets get 3 points at Newcastle Tomorrow. Up the Bees!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was my dad's team. I thought he was the last supporter they had!

Rugby was only invented to give those who were useless at football something to do.

Rugby was only invented to give those who were useless at football something to do when looking for a break from fighting and drinking .

Edited for you.

Rugby was only invented to give those who were useless at football something to do.

spot on.. If Webb Ellis or whoever had picked the ball up at my school and run with it it would have been hand ball.

I love footy me..

I love my footy, but I won't get involved on this thread which should be entitled "A can of Worms - How to fall out with other forum members".

What a silly idea for a thread. :doh:

I believe that England's poor performance at international level is down to money alone.

The English leagues are so driven by money that they have become overrun by foreign players, who then take the skills they've enhanced within our leagues back to their own countries for international matches. The preponderance of foreign players restricts the number of English players who are able to play at the top level, so they lose out on the experience and development. The supporters want to see all the top foreign players, and they're prepared to pay for the privilege, so the league clubs will happily carry on raking in the funds whilst not caring one bit about the national side.

The ridiculously high wages paid to even our relatively poor homegrown players appears to smother any pride they have in playing for their country because the money and unwarranted praise make them feel special already. You only have to look at their bored expressions during our national anthems to see how thrilled they aren't to be playing. Compare them to the rugby and cricket teams who sing along proudly (if badly!).

This is the key to most of the UK international teams present problems with the English Premier League being the chief culprit. The other thing that mystifies me in today's game is the tendency to always blame the manager for any team performance failures. While he might have a role to play in team selection and tactics once the whistle bows its down to the 11 guys on the field of play surely? :dk:

I love my footy, but I won't get involved on this thread which should be entitled "A can of Worms - How to fall out with other forum members".

What a silly idea for a thread. :doh:

You're just miffed cos your fav manager has gone back to Holland.

Do we have any season ticket holders on here?

I'll confess to having one for the mighty Irons
icon_crest.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom