The Football Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As well as on here, Spurs seem to be getting a hard time in the media recently, all seems harsh to me; they are clearly the second best team this season, only because of how awesome Chelsea have been and I think they're only one or two players off being even nearer to a title challenge.

I watched the game on Friday and West Ham were very lucky; Noble should have been sent off early on for a flying two-footed challenge and Spurs were all over them for most of the match, West Ham ride their luck and scored a scrappy goal, hardly Spurs "bottling it". They've been on a great run to keep themselves in the picture but have sadly just not been able to keep up that pressure.

And if I were a Spurs supporter I'd be thinking, why did Bale, Modric, Berbatov etc etc all want to leave? Because they were at a selling club,a club with no ambition, not one to keep their best players and build a winning side. Watch when Alli or Kane get sold. Its only a matter of time before Levy cashes in.

They seem to me to have plenty of ambition but I you can't realistically stop a player from leaving when a massive pay rise and the chance of honours is on the table.

A player's career is short and they can't wait around forever for a "winning side" to be built.

To use Bale as an example, he's nearly 28 now and at his peak. He's won the Champions League twice already and Real are odds-on to retain the trophy this season. Spurs (or any other English club at present) simply can't compete with that.

Get in there!!! Knew we'd turn it round and win the Championship!!!

Winning 9 in a row and boasting just about the best record in every department except for points is hardly bottling anything.
Unfortunately we don't have the money to compete with the likes of City, Utd and Chelsea that can buy whoever they want whenever. I think for Spurs to be where they are competing with the terrific side they have, bringing through great young talent is a positive for the premier league.
Chelsea have been the best side in the country this season and although it pains me to admit it they will be worthy champions.
And fair play to WHU for the victory over us the other night I thought they showed a lot of character.

Being a Chelsea fan since 1970 i am not going to comment on any of this until at least Friday! possibly longer!:crazy:

Tony.

I went to my first game at The Bridge in '66 and will be holding fire until Friday. Strange that back in those days there was a greyhound track around the pitch which didn't seem an issue then but I can understand why it doesn't work nowadays.

Got a couple of questions.

1. Did you ever support another club before your current one?

2. What club do you follow outside of England?

For me,
1. Leeds 1970-2010, Chelsea since*
2. Real Madrid

*but had been following Chelsea from Ruud Gullit's days, just never admitted it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm not surprised by the first two reactions.

It's an odd one. After 40 years of supporting Leeds, I realised at the end when I made the decision to "pledge allegiance (!)" to Chelsea, to myself and told my mates, that for the past 15, I had spent more time following Chelsea, knew more about all the players, managers, results, etc.
Still, I about I'm much more of an armchair fan and not a "proper" supporter in the traditional sense of watching my team in person, week in, week out. I rarely go to matches, having not been in the position to in the first 20 years of my adult life (for a number of reasons I won't go into). I think if I had been to games all my life, yes, I agree, there's no way I'd change. However, even if I had, I wouldn't treat players and managers badly because they left to join another team and were "disloyal". Personally, I think that is cr@p and men should be able to change their jobs without being vilified for it. That attitude from a rather large vociferous section of supporters is, I believe, fuelled by this "one team all my life" mentality, which otherwise has majority very good things about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I'm not surprised by the first two reactions.

It's an odd one. After 40 years of supporting Leeds, I realised at the end when I made the decision to "pledge allegiance (!)" to Chelsea, to myself and told my mates, that for the past 15, I had spent more time following Chelsea, knew more about all the players, managers, results, etc.
Still, I about I'm much more of an armchair fan and not a "proper" supporter in the traditional sense of watching my team in person, week in, week out. I rarely go to matches, having not been in the position to in the first 20 years of my adult life (for a number of reasons I won't go into). I think if I had been to games all my life, yes, I agree, there's no way I'd change. However, even if I had, I wouldn't treat players and managers badly because they left to join another team and were "disloyal". Personally, I think that is cr@p and men should be able to change their jobs without being vilified for it. That attitude from a rather large vociferous section of supporters is, I believe, fuelled by this "one team all my life" mentality, which otherwise has majority very good things about it.

If you change teams then you are a football consumer not a football supporter. Sorry.

Label how you want, I don't care for it.

If you change teams then you are a football consumer not a football supporter. Sorry.

I just consume whoever's winning. Used to be Man U, then last year it was Leicester -and we were in the town when they won it...fantastic!

This year it's Chelsea, I dribble watching Hazard dribbling :D

If the Beeb ever stop transmitting MotD on Sunday morning....well!

I'm Scottish, and come from a totally Celtic background. But I took the decision after too many sectarian comments made to me by drunken members of the opposition when I was a kid I might add, to step away from that goldfish bowl, I've supported Liverpool since I was 10. Mainly due to Peter Beardsley, couldn't speak, was ugly. But Jesus could he play.

Sent using a tin can on the end of a string

1. No - once a Blue always a Blue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom