The Football Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, he is still mostly pretty rubbish. First touch still poor and runs into trouble and falls over looking for a foul. He did position himself well for his goal though.

Also let's not kid ourselves, this Germany team is pretty poor to say the least...... but we've won again and on we go. Southgate has just ensured he gets another 4 years on his contract and more turgid football will ensue. Despite what I've written above I am happy we've progressed!!
REPORTED!

I don’t like Southgate, his plays are straight out of the coaching manual where possession is the king. Backwards or sideways is better than chancing your arm !
Our two most creative players are Foden and Grealish, one sits on the bench and one is told to hug the touch line. Sterling is shocking, his end product is usually nil and his 2nd touch is trying to control his 1st touch yet Southgate can’t see any of this.
Scotland are a poor side but we’re better than England last night and both teams will struggle in their last group games
Erm is Sterling still shocking? Bet your eating your hat right now..
Yes, he is still mostly pretty rubbish. First touch still poor and runs into trouble and falls over looking for a foul. He did position himself well for his goal though.

Also let's not kid ourselves, this Germany team is pretty poor to say the least...... but we've won again and on we go. Southgate has just ensured he gets another 4 years on his contract and more turgid football will ensue. Despite what I've written above I am happy we've progressed!!
But he has scored in every game.. as an attacker that's what it's all about.. nothing else matters

Im not a football fan but im glad we went through all this hype about kane my old dog was called kane and probably better at football from what ive seen of him
Just my opinion of course

Erm is Sterling still shocking? Bet your eating your hat right now..

But he has scored in every game.. as an attacker that's what it's all about.. nothing else matters
I still think his end product is wayward. I think he’s the type of player who gets confused when he has more than one option. Having said that he was the only one who was running at the Germans and played well today. He’s certainly done enough to retain his place but I’d still like to see Foden in the side

Any manager in this tournament would give his testicles for the enormous English talent available to Southgate. Plenty of praise for him from the pundits, but he still continues to play this defensive setup that today at least proved effective.
If he wins the tournament I’ll tip my hat to him, but IMHO for what it’s worth, constantly playing sideways or backwards is not for me.
No wonder Kane is struggling when there’s so many defenders and nobody to feed him.

Any manager in this tournament would give his testicles for the enormous English talent available to Southgate. Plenty of praise for him from the pundits, but he still continues to play this defensive setup that today at least proved effective.
If he wins the tournament I’ll tip my hat to him, but IMHO for what it’s worth, constantly playing sideways or backwards is not for me.
No wonder Kane is struggling when there’s so many defenders and nobody to feed him.
That's modern day football though "ball retention" every top side plays that way.. gone are the days of hoofing up field for the big target man.. the game is much more technical now even the keeper is required to be good with the ball at his feet and distribute it comfortably..

I still think his end product is wayward. I think he’s the type of player who gets confused when he has more than one option. Having said that he was the only one who was running at the Germans and played well today. He’s certainly done enough to retain his place but I’d still like to see Foden in the side
Foden hasn't produced, saka produced hence he started today..

That's modern day football though "ball retention" every top side plays that way.. gone are the days of hoofing up field for the big target man.. the game is much more technical now even the keeper is required to be good with the ball at his feet and distribute it comfortably..
Who would play ’hoofing the ball’ with the array of talent at England’s disposal ??
Of course the game is more technical now, that’s exactly my point, we’ve got players who are fabulous on the ball with enormous ability to distribute the ball on a level few can compete with. Players left on the bench today, Sancho in particular, who even Klinsman said ‘terrifies’ the Germans never got a look in, although he’s had a fabulous season in the Budesliga. They won today and won well enough (against a less than brilliant German side) but we’ve a long way to go, so let’s see a less defensive setup in the future.

Foden was given 65 mins and told to hug the touchline, what a waste of talent
I find that hard to believe seeing as saka was cutting inside, using his pace on the outside etc.. foden would have had the freedom once he got past a certain part of the pitch with the ball.. he is a top player but just not happened for him so far..

Who would play ’hoofing the ball’ with the array of talent at England’s disposal ??
Of course the game is more technical now, that’s exactly my point, we’ve got players who are fabulous on the ball with enormous ability to distribute the ball on a level few can compete with. Players left on the bench today, Sancho in particular, who even Klinsman said ‘terrifies’ the Germans never got a look in, although he’s had a fabulous season in the Budesliga. They won today and won well enough (against a less than brilliant German side) but we’ve a long way to go, so let’s see a less defensive setup in the future.
Yes but the way England are playing tactically is how the European teams have been playing over so many years which produced trophies.. the whole reason st George's Park was created was to give England an "identity" (style of play) which would be produced from the mens team right down to the England schoolboys team.. you have to pass back and sideways at times and build a strong defensive unit and then strike at the right time with a counter or overload.. no team can play constant attacking football.. Time will tell if England can actually brake the hoodoo and lift a trophy 🏆 anytime soon..

I agree with the comments, despite the talent, Southgate continues with the mind numbing defensive displays. It is very dull to watch, however you cannot argue with the results.

I do think it’s a dangerous tactic, as we were lucky Muller did not score from Sterling’s sloppiness, giving the ball away. That may have changed the outcome of the game. They do need to cut out the mistakes.

Also, it does make you wonder why he named so many attacking players in his squad, that have not had a look in. For me, and I’m biased as a Chelski fan, Chillwell is a far better player than Shaw. Perhaps Southgate sees things we do not.

Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🥳

I'm not watching. Are England good or are the Ukraine £hite ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom