The Football Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do many Gunners regret getting rid of Wenger ? From the outside it looked like a bad move
I don't..
Stagnation is never good, and what's happening is totally normal in every sport.
Total domination is futile. That's life.

As this is the football thread why aren't we cheering on the Lionesses. With13 goals in the last two games they have been a treat to watch. They have done us proud and stand a good chance of going all the way under this new manager. I'll be watching them in the quarter final at 8.00 tonight against Spain.

i’ve tried watching it but just cannot get into it at all. Some of this maybe down to the high pitched commentary (don’t shoot me as some sexist) But as a balance i don’t watch an awful lot of football apart from my team and a local non league team.

As this is the football thread why aren't we cheering on the Lionesses. With13 goals in the last two games they have been a treat to watch. They have done us proud and stand a good chance of going all the way under this new manager. I'll be watching them in the quarter final at 8.00 tonight against Spain.
Agree, and you have to say that womens football these days has come on leaps and bounds.
I’ve enjoyed watching about all that’s been on, obviously England in particular, can’t quite remember the surname of our prolific striker that’s in line for the golden boot ………🤔

i’ve tried watching it but just cannot get into it at all. Some of this maybe down to the high pitched commentary (don’t shoot me as some sexist) But as a balance i don’t watch an awful lot of football apart from my team and a local non league team.
What Jonathan Pearce, he does my head in as well. 🤣🤣

I just can't get away with the comparisons to men's football. The skill level of the women's game is very poor and I think a good pub team would beat them however having said all that the top matches are watchable. As a sporting contest the sides are pretty much even so you do get a balanced, tight game which is always good to watch.

I just can't get away with the comparisons to men's football. The skill level of the women's game is very poor and I think a good pub team would beat them however having said all that the top matches are watchable. As a sporting contest the sides are pretty much even so you do get a balanced, tight game which is always good to watch.
my local NL team are definitely better

I watched the last 60 mins of the game last night and was surprised at the quality. It was good. Spain are also a very technical team - very much like the men.

England were lucky to win against Spain,Germany were lucky to win against Austria but you need luck sometimes.
Both games were reasonably entertaining and notable for the quantity and ferocity of the tackles! Something not often seen in the modern men's game. Also of note was the general absence of play acting when "injured"
But what do I know, I support a mediocre Non League team.

After watching that Sweden game I may have to reconsider my position on women's footy.

Great game after a shaky start. Anyone still comparing our Lionesses to a good pub team.

What is it with men and women's football. When we have an elite women athlete or cyclist like Kelly Holmes or Laura Kenny that are the best in the world, we mange to celebrate their success without making the observation that they would be beaten by a man. Why, because it's irrelevant that they would be beaten by a man. It's likewise irrelevant than a male football team might beat the Lionesses. We should afford them the same respect as our female athletes and not insult them by comparisons to a good pub team.

The girls have the talent and now with a top class manager they are looking capable of winning the title. Having the England ladies team previously led by a 2nd rate male manager always seemed wrong to me on every level and I say that as a man. Sarina Wiegman looks to have inspired the whole squad into something much more special. Roll on Sunday.

Great game after a shaky start. Anyone still comparing our Lionesses to a good pub team.
Me. The power and speed of men would be too much for the women.
That‘s not to insult the English ladies team as I thought they were outstanding last night and thoroughly enjoyed the game. The 3rd goal was really special and the lass has obviously been a football nut all her life to attempt that.
I also agree with Ian Wright who suggested football should be on the school PE list for all girls in future

The problem is that they want the comparison with mens football when they claim that someone has equalled goal scoring records, but not when it doesn't suit.

Me. The power and speed of men would be too much for the women.
That‘s not to insult the English ladies team as I thought they were outstanding last night and thoroughly enjoyed the game. The 3rd goal was really special and the lass has obviously been a football nut all her life to attempt that.
I also agree with Ian Wright who suggested football should be on the school PE list for all girls in future

It was at the secondary school I worked at and one of our ex pupils went on to play for England which is a source of pride for the school to this day and a fantastic role model for all future girl pupils. I can't claim her success was result of attendance at the school as I suspect she was football mad even before joining the school and she played at county level as a school girl where she will have been supported and coached. We played our part though. This bit of history perhaps explains why I have been making posts supportive of the Lionesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom