The fruits of this weekend's labours - One hardtop stand...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
The hardtop for our 129 has lost its storage place in the shed, so I was left with no choice but to make alternative arrangements. MB no longer do the 129 hardtop stands, it seems, and frankly I wasn't prepared to shell out the vast amounts of denarii it would cost.

After a day's work, some MDF and 2x2, and a little swearing, and presto, one stand.

If anyone wants the plans, I'll do my best to rustle something up.

Last edited:
I've got an unused 129 hard top storage bag that hangs on the wall ! cost around £200 - I'm open to offers

Yup...that was the sort of prices the dealer quoted that nearly gave me a heart attack...

£30-worth of materials from B&Q suited me much better.

As promised, a pic of the item in question. I've not yet got round to fitting padding to it as yet, that's a job for next weekend.

Attachments

• Hardtop stand.jpg
    Hardtop stand.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 251
Strangely enough, that's what I was thinking too after I'd finished it :D

Nowhere near as comfortable as a proper bed frame though...I found I kept falling through the headboard when I tried to sit up, and my feet kept slipping off the end.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the plans, as the dining room storage location is not very popular with the missus at the moment [sigh!]

Has anyone tried to source and use one of the hardtop winches?

Jono_1001 said:
I'm interested in the plans, as the dining room storage location is not very popular with the missus at the moment [sigh!]

Has anyone tried to source and use one of the hardtop winches?

They pop up on ebay a fair bit but you could make one fairly easily

Speaking of ebay, I noticed that some company is selling off their director's SL320, and the hardtop stand they have is going on ebay. £60-ish bid so far at last check. No details on make, but on their company website they want £160 for the stand.

Also found a company in Germany doing them. £12.50 shipping to England. This example is current at a little over £20, but that will no doubt rise considerably seeing as it has 7 bids on it already, with 3 days to go.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10374&item=4556757156&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Plans

I would like to get a set of plans for the storage rack.

Yup stands sell regularly on eBay, some expensive and some cheap (just like wind deflectors etc.)

I was given :eek: a hardtop stand by the M-B dealer I bought my R129 from!

I already had the hanging padded bag thing (sniped one on eBay with no bids and got it for about £130 incl. postage), so the hard top goes in that (for dust protection) before resting on the stand :)

Hardtop hoist

Hi Jono 1001

I bought a hardtop winch, from Germany.

It was quite easy to install, and worked great.
But I had a problem with the height, as I have a low garage, with a electric door opener, which did not leave enough height to store the roof and get the car undereath.

If anyones interested, it on ebay, finishing Sunday.

Wobbly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom