The future of Driving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joseph Thompson

Car
MB CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Can anyone help me to understand the trends currently appearing in NEW Cars...?..e.g.:
1..... the driver can release his hold on the steering wheel for up to 30 seconds...WHY?
2... the car will stay in lane without driver input ? Why ?
3....the car will automatically stay at a safe distance from the car in front...WHY?
4... the car will pull out and overtake automatically..WHY?

...Forgive me for being " Old School " but I really enjoy driving perhaps in an " Old Fashioned " way....

...I will steer it...I will stop it...I will keep it in the correct lane...I will start it...I will overtake when I deem it safe to do so. ...
...AND I WILL ENJOY IT.

I'm starting to read NEW Car reviews and then identify all the Electronics I DO NOT NEED.

...I would welcome comments from other members.

Completely agree. I don't need distance control, I have eyes.

Passive safety improvements have pretty much plateaued, so in the continual drive for lower road traffic injury rates emphasis has shifted to active intervention by "driver aids" in an effort to avoid the crash in the first place.

Glad to hear that your driving standards are such that you'll never benefit from it ;)

When I lose my licence, for whatever reason but probably old age, I will be happy for my car to drive me automisly to the doctors or hospital from my rural location as there won't be any public transport

They need to develop a driver aid to combat extreme boredom :)
Driving to me now is no pleasure just permanent traffic jams and congestion.

But as someone has recently written off my Accord because they were on their phone and rammed me , having an auto collision sensor thingybob would have been handy :)

The problem with traction control abs etc is when you do reach its limits it your crashing.

ABS on a bike is something I have always thought was good because in the wet in an emergency it is so easy to lock front wheel and your off in a millisecond :(

But if you took away these features now a lot of people who drive fast would be indeed lost without it, the electronics now like active dampers etc are pretty amazing.

There are so many crap drivers on the road it will beneficial for some, I am sure.

But there needs to be a lot of product testing as these electronic things fail all the time sensors etc,so unless there is a redundancy type of thing would they be failsafe?

Even my 10 year old Vito is more like a computer with mechanics without a laptop and software you cannot fix anything it seems , new air filter needs a reset apparantly!

Its the future of all vehicles now, all the latest Adventure bikes are the same - people have been stuck out in the desert in the middle of no-where as a sensor has broke and killed the bike.

But I can always jump in my 89 Land Rover for that Tractor like-raw driving experience :)

Regards
Jonny

Can anyone help me to understand the trends currently appearing in NEW Cars...?..e.g.:
1..... the driver can release his hold on the steering wheel for up to 30 seconds...WHY?
3....the car will automatically stay at a safe distance from the car in front...WHY?

Why? :D

Because the manufacturers need to sell new cars to everyone including those that can't drive and people love gizmos too (until the warranty expires). ;)

I've removed the steering wheel and now use two paddles, one out of each window to direct the car. I can't have any form of assisted steering :D

Reverse sensors are just me hearing a crunch and then stopping :thumb:

...Forgive me for being " Old School " but I really enjoy driving perhaps in an " Old Fashioned " way....

...I will steer it...I will stop it...I will keep it in the correct lane...I will start it...I will overtake when I deem it safe to do so. ...
...AND I WILL ENJOY IT.

I'm starting to read NEW Car reviews and then identify all the Electronics I DO NOT NEED.

...I would welcome comments from other members.

Number 3 I'd keep, the rest I'm not really fussed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Number 3 I'd keep, the rest I'm not really fussed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto. - It's actually quite nice to have the car automatically brake when the car in front is slowing (especially if they haven't put their foot on the brake pedal).

Not only that, but the radar sees through fog/snow/spray so can spot a hazard that I might not be able to see.

If you need lane assistance, you're probably too tired to be driving and that little coffee icon is more relevant.

The idea is to develop an environment that is 'forgiving' when the driver makes a mistake.

But compensating for driver error has the negative side-effect of drivers becoming reliant on these aids and becoming less alert.

Don't like them? Turn 'em off.
I have lane sensing/force feedback which nudges you back into the lane (you can set levels of sensitivity / feedback force. Like you I think it's a gimmick.
The automatic braking - again you can set distance and alert/brake. I leave that on it doesn't interfere with my normal driving and may just react quicker than me in some situations - cash for crash etc.
Lots of other things like ABS, EBD, Traction Control etc, I leave on (can't disable ABS) simply because they are probably better at detecting the first signs of slip/loss of control, and will react faster than me. Otherwise I would turn them off too.

Believe me - auto cruise control on cars when living in the Middle East is an essential safety aid.
Other motorists drive so erratically that the safety aids on our ML63 have saved our bacon on numerous occasions!
We had auto cruise a long time ago in the UK on a 2006 Honda CRV EX and whilst that was quite good, at the time - things have really improved since then.

To start with, the majority of people find driving a chore and it is only to get from A-B. The government needs to reduce emissions and maximise the use of road space and automation is the way to achieve this.

This is just all the first stage towards vehicles with autonomous capabilities.

This is just all the first stage towards vehicles with autonomous capabilities.

In urban areas the choice will come down to driverless personal vehicle or driverless taxi. Driverless taxi is more scaleable than driven taxi.

And HGVs operated on trunk routes will become driverless. Initially they may be convoyed with a supervisory driver taking the lead.

At some point non-autonomous vehicle operation will start to be banned - probably starting in some urban areas and then extending to major trunk routes.

I hope the day of fully autonomous vehicles never arrives.

And, I don't believe it will.

Don't like them? Turn 'em off.

The issue with a lot of modern technology is that you CAN'T turn it off.

Abs, stability protection, active cruise, yep, I can see the benefit of those.

That system on VAG and other cars where it lights up the fog for the side you're turning to? Make precisely **** all difference and looks like you have an electrical problem.

Parking cameras? Yep, great idea. Auto park? Absolutely no way I would ever trust a computer to do so.

To me it sounds too much like the old joke about changing over to driving on the right gradually. I wouldn't object to a fully automated pub car though.

I think that we will see more schemes like journey tracking and pay as you go, pay as you park and pay fines as you break the rules through GPS. These would be easier to set up and a good little earner for government/police/local authorities.

I don't see fully autonomous vehicles dealing with all environments.

But within urban areas they will come. While the media is focusing on traditional private vehicles - I think these will remain optionally-autonomous and driver supervised - it's taxis and commercial vehicles that will advance the fully autonomous evolution because removing the driver saves a cost.

Maybe in 25 years we will find it odd that you'd consider owning your own vehicle in a greater conurbation because there will be a large stock of on-demand private hire vehicles.

And ultimately autonomous operation will be mandated in urban areas and on specific routes elsewhere (eg. motorways) so that traffic routing and flow can be centrally managed. So even if you drive your own personal vehicle you won't be allowed into the managed zone without switching to autonomous mode and giving up control.

The roads may feel more like the railways.

To be fair I could live with a system like that, where on main roads you sign over control to the computer.

But not when I'm driving over the peaks at 2am, or negotiating some narrow country lane.

It's amusing reading the comments about automated driver assistance systems and how some people view them as universally bad, yet I'll bet those very same people are happy to travel on a commercial aircraft where much of the journey is under the direct control of automation. The aviation industry learned many years ago that there are huge benefits to automation - not least in times of high workload - that include the elimination of operator error.

The reality is that however good a driver any of us think we are, we simply don't practice dealing with very high workload scenarios that are typical in the phase just before a crash becomes inevitable, when we won't have enough brain processing capability available to work out a) what's happening, and b) how best to respond. We like to believe we would, but the reality is we don't. So we crash.

Automated systems can often detect the onset of an undesirable situation before a driver would, and initiate a mitigation response before the driver has even worked out that they really ought to be doing something different. To ignore the benefits that accrue from such automation is perverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom