The good old US of A

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We do not always have this deep level of personal conviction and ideological commitment from our own party leaders here in the UK.

And just what the hell else would Bush jnr have done if not become president? He was plug useless at absolutely everything bar drinking and even that he couldn't make a go of without quitting.

Presidencies bought with wealth unobtainable to the masses is hardly the recipe for democracy. A point that the UK should heed.

And just what the hell else would Bush jnr have done if not become president? He was plug useless at absolutely everything bar drinking and even that he couldn't make a go of without quitting.

Presidencies bought with wealth unobtainable to the masses is hardly the recipe for democracy. A point that the UK should heed.

Its already no different here, it's why I despise all our main stream political parties and corrupt and blatantly dishonest electoral system.
Dave would never have made leader of the Conservatives as a council estate boy and neither would Ed have made Labour leader without the support of the unions.

(good comment about George W!)

In a Presidential system, the incumbent is merely the electable face of various wealthy yet insidious vested interests who lurk in the background and who bankroll his campaign.

We do not always have this deep level of personal conviction and ideological commitment from our own party leaders here in the UK.

two cheeks of the same backside....

Thanks, but no thanks.

The day that I look up to the gringos is the day that I'm pushing up daisies.

How do you reconcile your hatred of America & Americans with your love of Budweiser?

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/1410821-post11.html

Budweiser only.

Or when I'm drinking spirits; Grey Goose vodka.

I'm 31 and a half.

Surely you must have bought in to the whole US of A image thing, since it obviously can't be the taste the attracted you.

neilrr said:
How do you reconcile your hatred of America & Americans with your love of Budweiser?

Ahhhh, something else that they've tried to claim as their own...

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Its already no different here, it's why I despise all our main stream political parties and corrupt and blatantly dishonest electoral system.
Dave would never have made leader of the Conservatives as a council estate boy and neither would Ed have made Labour leader without the support of the unions.

I remember David Davis being the favourite to win the Conservative Leadership contest for a while, then suddenly Call Me Dave was the winner. I was disappointed as I liked Davis far better of the two (FYI, trivia fans - he would have been the first British PM to have an HGV licence).

I had read an article in the Daily Mail (yes, I know) which listed the financial backers for Cameron's campaign and a number of them were rather shady International businessmen in the arms and property development businesses. There was a comment by one that Cameron would return the favour by promoting Israel's interests as they believed the current regime were too sympathetic to Palestine. I wish I'd kept that article as it was interesting to see the kind of people who bankroll our politicians and was very detailed and well-researched IMO.

Interestingly, Cameron resigned as a Patron of The Jewish National Fund in May last year, which made him the first Prime Minister not to be a patron in 110 years.

Back OT - I don't think the NHS would work in America. It would bankrupt them. An American NHS couldn't afford to pay the enormous salaries that medical professionals in the USA enjoy, no way would they take a pay cut either. The problem with the state picking up the tab for people with no insurance is it then gives people less incentive to pay for their own insurance, knowing that others are getting a free ride at their expense. I don't know what the answer is and I'm glad it's not my problem to solve, tbh.

Last edited:
I remember David Davies being the favourite to win the Conservative Leadership contest for a while, then suddenly Call Me Dave was the winner. I was disappointed as I liked Davies far better of the two (FYI, trivia fans - he would have been the first British PM to have an HGV licence).

And the first to have been in the SAS.

Agree , while I find all politicians as front men the yanks are so blatant while ours are so sly. The Tories being our most blatant and then what makes the public so sick is that the lefties get a taste of power and money and they become worse than the blue bloods.

I wouldn't call New Labour lefties......neither would you if you knew any real lefties.

'Brick layer' Prestcot was probably the last senior Labour politician who could really claim to come from a working class background?

Last edited:
'Brick layer' Prestcot was probably the last senior Labour politician who could really claim to come from a working class background?

Bricklayer? No, too much like hard work, waiting at table and polishing union chairs is the only work Prescott ever did...

Forget class background .... how many from the upper echelons of any party have ever had a *real* job or built a real business?

Forget class background .... how many from the upper echelons of any party have ever had a *real* job or built a real business?
Answers on a postage stamp please

Alan Johnston was a post-man, but, he was an integral part of new-labour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom