The Great Car Insurance Swindle

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Pontoneer, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    BBC 1 , 20:30 tonight .

4 people like this.
  2. Rayny

Rayny Active Member

Car:
    Skoda Roomster
    Spotted this just in time - Many thanks.

Hmmm, I replied just as the programme started at 8:30pm,
    but my post shows a time of 08:16pm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. mirras

mirras Active Member

Car:
    Range Rover TDV8
    I have been quite surprised, all my renewals have been cheaper than last year despite the headlines saying premiums are going up. That includes teenage daughters' ( 1,25 fiesta ) , mine ( grp 20 ) and my wife's (Astra).

4. artyman

artyman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    £57 a year to insure the tractor and it wouldn't have any problems with speed bumps. :D

5. mirras

mirras Active Member

Car:
    Range Rover TDV8
    Tractor boy is my new hero. :bannana:

6. mirras

mirras Active Member

Car:
    Range Rover TDV8
    My daughters ( 19 and 21 ) have a 2006 1.25 Fiesta ( bag of nails and due to be swapped for a w203 C-Class or Freelander I hope ) which was just over £600 to insure last year....

Their insurance is due up on Thursday, I haven't yet received a renewal letter from A*miral so I called them up for a quote on Saturday.....

Them "Yes sir, policies have gone up this year.. blah blah blah...., renewal will be £806"

Me "That seems a little excessive, I have done a search on c*nfused.com and it has returned £623 from D*amond..."

Them "Well sir, as D*amond are a sister company of ours, we can offer you renewal at £623"

Me " Well that's an improvement, let me go get some more quotes and I'll call you back"

I then went onLINE to a DIRECT insurer who last year quoted a ridiculous £1200, double what I was paying. To my surprise they quoted £399 for this year and that was with lower excess than the others.

So, went with DL and called A*miral back to cancel renewal.

10 minutes online and 10 minutes on the phone saved £400 so the moral of this story is, don't just go with renewal or even trust the comparison sites to get the best deal for your criteria, SHOP AROUND.

:thumb:

7 people like this.
  7. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    Very true. I never accept the renewal, I always get new quotes and get the benefit of the so called introductory discounts.

I recently had to renew the insurance on my 450 SEL, last year I paid £204 on a classic policy, the renewal came back this year for £240 so I shopped around and got a new quote for £140 for like for like cover.

8. BoyracerAU

BoyracerAU Active Member

Car:
    1985 W123 230E & 1994 R129 SL500
    I can only guess insurance companies are doing much the same there as what they're doing here. There is no reward for loyalty, just a poke in the eye.

9. mirras

mirras Active Member

Car:
    Range Rover TDV8
    Given the massive drop in the quote from DL over the one 12 months ago I can only assume my daughters have suddenly fallen into their favoured criteria. I'm sure next year will be different again...

Personally I've been with DL, as has my wife, for the last 8 years as they always quote lower for our policies than anyone else. I'm quietly pleased they offered the lowest quote for the kids too as I've always had decent service from them. BUT, £ drives my loyalty absolutely where insurance is concerned provided service and cover is like for like.