The Great Scottish Grand Tour 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Off the scenes I have had discussions regarding this.

I did think about March but the weather is a little iffy. I am leaning towards August/September time as per last year. It also allows us time to enjoy Ian F's trip, and focus on this afterwards.

I've devised two routes....

Here is the full length one

And here is a shortened one for those that want to drive at a more sedate pace or maybe want a less frantic level of miles...

The idea is to stay in Ullapool overnight, that means finding B&B's or cheapish accommodation....

It may seem a long way off, but in reality it is not, so ideally I'd like to have some ideas from others if they like the route I've devised, or if they want something different.

Ideally, for accommodation, we need to sort this sooner rather than later.

I'm in - I think Ullapool's a good night stop as there are plenty of hotels / B&B's.

I'm in - I think Ullapool's a good night stop as there are plenty of hotels / B&B's.

Good man, I am thinking of two crossings for day2, the one on the map, or the Loch Shin one, I fear maybe the later might be too far for a 1 night away trip though?

Plenty time to sort out the finer details - there should be enough of us at Ian's Yorkshire trip to discuss further. I'd strongly recommend the section you've included going up to Ullapool via Gairloch - this would satisfy even the most jaded motoring palate I think.

When I split away from your main tour group on this year's trip, I had a second night stop in Inverness after my drive up to the far North. On the return leg, I could easily have gone further South, but I wanted a leisurely pace. We might end up with a sort of pick-and-mix route menu with agreed stopping/meeting points to accommodate both the high mileage 'turbo nutters' (that would be you) and the more sedentary cruising merchants (me) :)

The long route and later in the the year for me please. Liz will probably be along too.

count me in .. the long route please!

and when there are no midges.

Excellent news, Sean, this is a more open road route and suited for fast driving. You'll want to take the CLS.

John, you'll love this, you'll get to see more than just the west coast, and the drive through the Cairngorms is wonderful.

Long one for me and later in the year is good, I might even get SWMBO to come and we'll make a week of it.

Looking forward to it, the tours are stacking up already roll on 2012 :thumb:

Long one for me assuming date is OK, but later in the year is fine.

I would also be interested, pref later in the year, outside school hols , and I will make it a longer stay. For me it would be first night nr Glasgow...3 nights in the trip, and another night south of glasgow before driving back to Devon. This year I did Isle of skye ( 4PM ferry) to home in one go (740miles!)...never again even in a SL:eek:

If folks are game for a two night trip, we could do part of last years route, then a good day two in the far north, and then a final stop.

Its because of folk having to travel from down south and needing three overnights, 1st night nr Glasgow, 2nd up north, 3rd back down in Glasgow as it takes a day to get here.

Steve, you could do day 1 with us, and a longer day 2 to reach the north cost, with a night a 2nd might Inverness, and a 3rd night south of Glasgow taking in day two of my route + some border driving in your day three?

Either route for me. I'll have to keep an eye on my work commitments though. Put me down as a definite maybe. :thumb:

Either route for me. I'll have to keep an eye on my work commitments though. Put me down as a definite maybe. :thumb:

Oh Goodie. Perhaps another 124 - or are you coming in one of the flashest vans I've seen in many a mile.

Is this tour likely to involve wine, women and Song in copious quantities...if not will it at least involve Beer? :)

Oh Goodie. Perhaps another 124 - or are you coming in one of the flashest vans I've seen in many a mile.

Maybe even a RR Ghost, even...

Is this tour likely to involve wine, women and Song in copious quantities...if not will it at least involve Beer? :)

The whine will come from my diff.

The women will be Steve's groupies.

And the song will be from Sean's de-catted CLS. And believe me, that, is what Mr Diamond sings about as being - "A Beautiful Noise" You want to hear it boncing off the Glens.

The food, you forgot the food DM. It is always superb with Steve as Trail Boss.

The food will be just epic. I'll perhaps avoid the sea food platter, actually, we are not going that way. Sh*t.....

I'll think of something.

Will, come along. We may even unleash you on the proper stuff, the malt variety....

Sorted for food stops, mentally mapped it out.

1. Cake etc in Inverarry.
2. Lunch in a pub in Aviemore.
3. Further scran at Gairloch.
4. Dinner in Ullapool.

Day 2. Fat ******* breakfast in Ullapool.
11's in Dornoch.
Lunch again nr Aviemore, more scran/dinner in say Creiff -along the wawy

PS Folks, there is a brand spanking new Premier Inn on the outskirts of Dumbarton, probably a better bet than Glasgow and closer to go the good stuff. I know of a few places for a fairwell dinner.

On day 1 means I can meet you at Half 8 there. There is a whopping dual carriageway for Sean to acquaint himself with the bobbies.

Last edited:
PS Folks, there is a brand spanking new Premier Inn on the outskirts of Dumbarton, probably a better bet than Glasgow and closer to go the good stuff. I know of a few places for a fairwell dinner.

On day 1 means I can meet you at Half 8 there. There is a whopping dual carriageway for Sean to acquaint himself with the bobbies.

Premier Inn away from main road would be best.

I have enough points, thanks.

And the song will be from Sean's de-catted CLS.

I still have all my cats .. just not the center silencer.

Will, come along. We may even unleash you on the proper stuff, the malt variety....

I might do, but planning that far ahead is a step too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom