The Highwaymen - Netflix - Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
I watched this last night (again). A great piece of TV Drama. If nothing else, it’s worth watching for the period cars, that are superb to see in their finery.

I like Costner & Harrelson and believe this gives the story true life as opposed to gratuitous violence.

The music is very good matching the mood of the movie.

I hope you enjoy.

As I say, worth a look for the cars and wardrobe.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Saw it last week, Bruce and really enjoyed it.
I have to say, Kathy Bates acting was particularly poor though.
As you say, the period settings and cars were brilliant.
At the start where you see the leaping greyhound bonnet mascot, Mrs Ted asked me what car that was, and I knowledgeably told her “that’s a Packard”...:confused::confused:

I watched this last night (again). A great piece of TV Drama. If nothing else, it’s worth watching for the period cars, that are superb to see in their finery.

I like Costner & Harrelson and believe this gives the story true life as opposed to gratuitous violence.

The music is very good matching the mood of the movie.

I hope you enjoy.

As I say, worth a look for the cars and wardrobe.

Enjoy.

Agree with everything said above. Truly enjoyable TV drama.

Last edited:
Ted. Thank you. My neighbour owns and drives this (amongst others) stunning you see it sits on wooden rims and headlights that heat a town up.

f4f8278652e3bbaae5cfb0daf9ddd941.jpg

Reactions: Ted
...I have to say, Kathy Bates acting was particularly poor though...

There were some other (minor) issues...

- It was a bit too long I thought.
- Some plot elements were unrealistic - such as Gault discovering the radio in the dash only after spending one week in the car... and exactly when there was a news bulletin about the fugitives :)
- As a matter of detail... I believe that the Rangers and the local Sheriff simply ambushed the car, opening fire on sight, rather than issue a verbal warning first. Also they waited some 36 hours... according to Wikipedia.

But otherwise.... a masterpiece no doubt :thumb:

Was watching this at the time this was posted, really enjoyed it, actually sat through the whole film which is very unusual for me.

Subtle humour in places, the shooting practice when Gault said he put all six bullets through the same hole made me laugh.

Having read and watched many variants on the “truth” of the Bonnie & Clyde” story. It’s good to believe that this has taken a single section (the ambush) and tried to deal with it using truthful contemporary letters and witness accounts.

For me that gave it life (no pun intended) there will always be gaps in this kind of narrative. Although this tale is now being more fully covered. American Pickers featured some good “museum” exhibits last week.

But. I enjoyed it and am glad that many hear did so. It certainly showed the juxtaposition between sides and the Grimm horror that left so many dead, whatever reason or side chosen.

And. Oh those lovely V8’s

Never had any interest in the story before so from a cold start it was definitely engaging.

The final scenes where they were dragging the car with corpses through the town was particularly vivid.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Saw this over the week, a very good watch. I came at it knowing little about the realy story of B&C other than the "legend".
I really like both of the main actors, and they worked well together.

The final scenes where they were dragging the car with corpses through the town was particularly vivid.
I had assumed that was for dramatic effect in the film, does history say that actually happened ?

I'm not really into classic cars, but watching the film did make me think that with the passing years, it must get harder and harder to get period items (especially cars) for such films.

I enjoyed it. Kind of refreshing.

Saw this over the week, a very good watch. I came at it knowing little about the realy story of B&C other than the "legend".

I had assumed that was for dramatic effect in the film, does history say that actually happened ?

I'm not really into classic cars, but watching the film did make me think that with the passing years, it must get harder and harder to get period items (especially cars) for such films.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Not sure what they used for this film, but Hollywood has a thriving manufacturing sector that makes props for movies, including replica cars (based on modern chasis) of almost any period car.

Well kept me hooked for a while.

Reminded me in a way of the excellent True Detective Season 1 with Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey, must watch that again. Dark. Very dark......

(Not Season 2 which features neither and is utter lets cash in on the title alone dross)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom