The Honeymoon is over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
It would appear that Norway's romance with the electric car is coming to an end.Norway has fallen in love with electric cars ? but the affair is coming to an end | Environment | theguardian.com
For three months at the end of 2013, the luxury electric sports car the Tesla Model S and Nissan Leaf family electric car were the best-selling models among all cars sold in the country. Over 21,000 all-electric vehicles (EVs) are now registered in the country of 5 million people with sales running at over 1,200 a month, or over 10% of all sales. Battery-powered cars in the world's fourth richest country are not just exempt from high rates of purchase tax, and VAT, but pay no road and ferry tolls or parking fees, cost less to insure and can be charged up for free electricity from thousands of points. However the Norwegian love affair with electric cars may end sooner than expected. Incentives will be withdrawn when 50,000 zero emission cars have been registered and at the current rate of sales, the 50,000 figure could be reached within 18 months.
Besides, the allure of quick commuting and free fuel is wearing thin as they become more popular and defeat the purpose for which people bought them. The vehicles are now so popular that they dominate the bus lanes into Oslo, making up to 75% of the vehicles allowed in them. In addition, it's getting harder and harder to find unoccupied public charging facilities.:crazy:

Isn't this slightly skewed reporting? Boiled down, I read it as. Government incentive funded up to 50000 cars has proved popular. The target will be met early after 18 months. This may reduce future EV sales as the incentive is withdrawn.

Looks like very short range thinking which has allowed the market to go flat.
I'm sure some bright spark will come up with an idea that gives some momentum and energy to the falling sales.

Looks like very short range thinking which has allowed the market to go flat.
I'm sure some bright spark will come up with an idea that gives some momentum and energy to the falling sales.

Ther are likely to be a whole battery of new ideas but in the current climate they may run out of steam. I imagine many people in car design are up all night wired on coffee and hardly ever go ohm :)

Having been to Norway, and having seen their electricity prices, I strongly doubt that electrical vehicle sales will drop as much as suggested.

They may reconsider withdrawing the incentive evidently. One thing that caught my eye was the lack of ferry charges which I imagine is quite a biggie in Norway. Their electricity is mainly Hydro electric 122 Twh = 98% I believe so combined with their relatively low population maybe they don't know what to do with it all.

I've been to Norway a few times recently and I'm in Norway right now and I have seen only 1 electric car up north. So I guess they are popular down south mostly.

Tesla seems popular in Germany. I've seen a few of them on motorways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom