The hunt is on for a winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I've now decided to look for a winter hack to commute in through the worst of the winter weather so I can leave the SL snuggled in the garage.

So I'm looking for something cheap and frugal, something that I wont have to spend every weekend fixing things on to prepare for the following weeks commute.

Looked at smart cars but I'm not so sure they represent good value having looked at other things in the same price range (I like the look of them though). I'm also not sure I could bear driving a Corsa (wrong image) but a 2CV would be acceptable.

I'm really not sure what makes best bangernomic sense. Should one but something like an old diesel Mondeo which are almost worthless or is a little 1.0L hatchback a better budget buy? Perhaps an old MX5... what mpg do they do I wonder? Hell I've even been toying with the idea of getting a 400cc scooter (Burgman).

Perhaps I'm better buying a new £5999 Panda for £99 per month. Seems like cheap motoring... possibly cheaper than bangernomics even.

So what does the consensus say and does anyone know of a car for sale that might fit my purpose?

What budget have you set? Or is it a case of whatever takes your fancy?

I'd be tempted to go to an auction with an open mind, and a budget. Buy whatever looks good on the day. You're not marrying it and could move it on if you buy wisely.

Buying a convertible car now and selling in the spring would make good financial sense, but I'm about to discover myself the pleasure, or lack of, driving such a car over the winter.

David Powell might be selling his Saab 9-5 2.3t. Lots of toys and I know the previous owner who gave it a lot of mechanical TLC.

Got a mate Spike in Tedders with a BMW 318i on a K plate.

Just failed its MOT on headlight bulb , handbrake needs adjusting , and emissions. Tax ran out on 1st Oct and he has bought a new car.

It's red with ( i think ) a black interior.

He was going to get the scrappy to take it , but i said to hold off , as it would do someone as a runaround.

I bet an italian tune up would sort the emissions.

He had the head gasket done last year. A couple of hundred quid would buy it.

Any use ?

Whats the budget?

I like the idea of the MX5, as they are great fun, everything works, cheap also buy now, clean it up and make it nice and sell in summer for a profit.

I've owned a Mk1 pop up light model and the Mk2.5 newer shape.

The do a 1.6 / 1.6 Auto and a 1.8 in the MK1, I had the 1.8, great great fun :)

I picked up a 2002 reg Alfa 156 1.8TS for my commuting for £800, it's the most fun car I've ever owned. Sure it's not the most sporty car in the world but it makes you as if your in a proper car.

I just had it MOTed after 6 month motoring in it and all it needed was a new tyre.

Actually make the cost £860 as I invested in a fault code reader as being an Alfa it likes to display the MIL light quite a lot... nothing clearing the codes won't solve:bannana:

You are all going to laugh here but for this years winter driver I bought a 1965 Trabant!

The 2 stroke engine is bullet proof and it's got an addded bonus of having 4 brand new winter tyres fitted!

It cost me £550 but it's tax exempt, insurance is a whopping £80 for a year and I'm likely to break even selling it next year!

My advice would be to get a Land Rover. Either a series 2a or 3, or a Defender. If you get a tax exempt one you're laughing, and there are some early ones with high quality diesel conversions. Defenders tend to be diesels generally. The advantage of a Landy being that it won't depreciate, they're a great deal of fun and you won't lose any money on one. Worth considering, especially if we're in for a tough winter.

Enjoy lol

This car get's the most amount of attention I have ever had in a car, people have actually pointed and laughed I **** you not lol

a3lb4j.jpg

Buying a convertible car now and selling in the spring would make good financial sense, but I'm about to discover myself the pleasure, or lack of, driving such a car over the winter.

David Powell might be selling his Saab 9-5 2.3t. Lots of toys and I know the previous owner who gave it a lot of mechanical TLC.

You got there before me...

I am selling the Saab, and its still a very good car - good heater for Winter too. If you would like to know more feel free to shout.

That'll only manage 25 mpg or thereabouts which means its not a cheap car but an expensive one.

Whats the budget?

I like the idea of the MX5, as they are great fun, everything works, cheap also buy now, clean it up and make it nice and sell in summer for a profit.

What sort of MPG do MX5's manage to return?

The purchase budget is probably limited to 3K max. The requirement is that I can keep the SL looking pretty by not ruining it through winter and the savings I'll make on fuel commuting compared to the SL (£500 of fuel per month in the SL) should cover the cost of the car and then some.

But cheaper is better I guess, that way I might have something left over to go skiing with this winter.

How far is your commute and will it just be you in the car?
I saw the below on another site. Basically all you pay for is petrol. Everything else including fully comp insurance is covered in the monthly cost.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/l...pest_new_car&***id=CI_WoruyvKQCFVD-2AodR0tKmw

Just me in the car for a 15k per year commute. (but I'll be sharing the commute between the hack, the SL and the motorcycle so annual mileage restrictions not a problem) Your link doesnt work BTW.

Got a mate Spike in Tedders with a BMW 318i on a K plate.

It doesnt really jump out at me tbh. Could be all sorts wrong if its failed on emmissions and I'm not sure it will be able to even return 30mpg on my commute.

A Saab will only manage 26mpg so doesnt tick all the boxes.

My 1200 Bandit is only doing 25mpg at the moment so I've given up commutingg on that because it rather defeats the point. :dk:

Last edited:
A Saab will only manage 26mpg so doesnt tick all the boxes.

Nope a Saab will do more. I get about 33mpg mixed, and upto 38 on a run at 70ish.

If it's all city driving that would make a difference.

Not trying to sell it - but keen to dispel a myth :D

ps it's much better priced in terms of your budget:devil:

My advice would be to get a Land Rover. Either a series 2a or 3, or a Defender. If you get a tax exempt one you're laughing, and there are some early ones with high quality diesel conversions. Defenders tend to be diesels generally. The advantage of a Landy being that it won't depreciate, they're a great deal of fun and you won't lose any money on one. Worth considering, especially if we're in for a tough winter.

Are you really sure you've thought this through? An old Landy is both hellishly thirsty and quite possibly the very worst thing in the world to drive on a commute through winter. I cant even believe the suggestion.. christ it likely wont even have a heater let alone seatbelts.

I'll spend £6000 over a year in fuel but save the 180 odd in road tax - bargain :D

Nope a Saab will do more. I get about 33mpg mixed, and upto 38 on a run at 70ish.

If it's all city driving that would make a difference.

Not trying to sell it - but keen to dispel a myth :D

Problem is I'm fighting to commute across west london every day so fuel consumption is going to be worst case scenario. If you get 33 mixed in doncaster, I'll get no more than 25mpg on my commute.

Yup your right in that case. That Panda's going to be hard to beat in the circumstances....

I'm not sure how much better an older diesel would be either. In my experience they show better results on an open road than sitting in traffic.

people have actually pointed and laughed I **** you not lol

a3lb4j.jpg

I'm not sure thats the sort of attention I want. Besides, the shells on those things are made of bits of newspaper and glue.

More dangerous than a motorcycle.

I'm not sure how much better an older diesel would be either. In my experience they show better results on an open road than sitting in traffic.

Not so in my experience, Wifeys S60 D5 can get 50mpg on my round trip commute. In one half term week (less traffic) I averaged 60mpg. :eek:

The SL is doing 21mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom