The infamous Vito heater blower issue(s)...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edpvito

Car
Mercedes Vito 108CDI
I have a 108CDi Vito (638) and the heater blower is not working. I know there are some other threads here but I am hoping that someone may be able to connect some dots. I am in Northern Sweden and its bl++dy cold!

I first had a problem with the heater a while back and a mechanic took a quick look and said it was a loose wire, he tied up a few wires with a cable tie and it continued to work. If it stopped i would jiggle the wires. This system has been working up until now with the occassional blown fuse which i have replace - which hints at another problem. Recently the heater was only blowing on four which I understand means that the blower is bypassing the resistor, now the fuse blows as soon as I put heater on so i am stuck without heat. What I have done so far:

1) Reading this forum I have taken out the pollen filter - yet not replaced as per someones advice.
2) Added fuses to f12 and f16.
3) Bought a new blower motor which is on its way.

I sent an email to a company that repairs the resistors and they said that while I have probably got a problem with the resistor the source of the problem is probably with the motor.

My questions: 1)Has anyone replaced a motor and is it easy to do? I found a link somewhere that suggested taking the bonnet release off but i cant find the link...
2) How do you check the resistance across the ballast resistor with a multimeter. Would you have to have a current running through it...which it wouldn't if i took it out..
3) I have some problems with my dimmed headlights and various other small electrical problems...could this all be part of a more central electrical problem such as bad grounding?

I am living in Sweden and cant see change out of about £700 if i take this to a merc dealer...

Thanks

Ed

heres a diagram of it.you can test outputs etc with it. A20 is the dash controls

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 84
You can test the blower by bridging the wires in the plug behind the heater controls

Attachments

• Photo0512.jpg
    Photo0512.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 79
heres a diagram of it.you can test outputs etc with it. A20 is the dash controls
Any chance of a bit more on this? Is there a version showing wire colours or a key as to what is which component? Really struggling with the 638 blowers at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wow I have not logged in for a long time and I have a week old question. What seems to be the problem ? Stick 12v into the connections shown if it blows then your fan is okay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom