The joys of jacking up a W202 Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasco12

Car
W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
Let's see if I've got this right. If you are trying to jack up the front of a W202 the only points you can use are the rubber jacking points on the sills or the subframe cross member. Once you have jacked up the vehicle you ought to use axle stands and the only place you put these is under the aforesaid jacking points. As you can't use a point to both jack and support at the same time you have to jack up the subframe crossmember. Oh, and whether jacking or supporting you really ought to always put a piece of wood between the vehicle and the jack/support.

This is what happened when I tried to do this: I couldn't get the whole of the trolley jack under the vehicle. Maybe it was a particularly chunky trolley jack - I have no experience with the things so I don't really know. I then tried jacking up using the points and couldn't get the jack and piece of wood underneath it. And then, worried that I might be about to some real damage, I gave up.

This is what I think I ought to have done:

1. Jack up one side with a trolley jack
2. Jack up the other side with a trolley jack
3. Jack up the cross member with a third trolley jack
4. Remove the first two trolley jacks, place axle stands under the jacking point and lower the third trolley jack so that the car rests on the stand.

Surely, there has got to be a better way.

All I was trying to do was to remove the bumper. Which means removing the wheelarch liner, which means removing a couple of screws. But you can't do that because the wheel's in the way (because it's a Sport model?)

Maybe, I should have removed the wheel.

You don't need tu use a block of wood when jacking the car via the jacking points, as they are rubber so no damage will be done.

If you still can't get the jack under, use the cars jack to take it up so far then take over with the trolly jack once high enough to get it under. Or simply use the cars jack to get it high enough to get the axle stands under.

On mine i use the jacking point at the front of the sill and that lifts the whole side of the car up with one trolley jack and axle stand under one of the engine cross members.

Lynall

just use the wheel changing jack in the boot then put axel stand under, repeat on the other side. I dont see what the big deal is, i do this on my 190E and SEC both of which i cant get my trolley jack under.

+1

On mine i use the jacking point at the front of the sill and that lifts the whole side of the car up with one trolley jack and axle stand under one of the engine cross members.

I always worry that it twists the car if you do that - I wish there was just one jacking point on each side and a chunkier jack.

My trolley jack has a u shaped lifting point so I have to put something between that and the rubber cill jacking points - I use a composite plastic block rather than wood, the danger with wood is that it can split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom