The joys of pouring ATF into a diesel tank.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB250D

Just finished my first full tank of diesel in my new (to me, obviously!) '87 250D. I chucked in half a gallon of ATF (autobox fluid - very detergent to clean the fuel system!) along with the tankful of diesel. What a result! It idles better, runs more smoothly and quietly, and even pulls harder! (Well, as hard as 94bhp can pull in a ten-ton tank!). Excellent stuff, thoroughly reccomended to you older diesel owners (coming up on the quarter million mark here).
I think I'll throw in the other half gallon with the next fill, just for good measure.......

That is not, I feel it safe to assume, going to be the ATF sold by MB dealers!

Nope, the El Cheapo stuff sold by the gallon at my local motor factors! I use it in the oil as an engine flush as well - top stuff, far better than any "off the shelf" flush. Hmm, wonder if it would work as screenwash....... :-D

MB250D said:
Hmm, wonder if it would work as screenwash....... :-D
Try it and let us all know :D :D

All red and smeary! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :D

ATF is kerosene based, why not just try parrafin or kerosene?

Dieselman said:
Yes, but if it has a Cat. it may poison it.
Oh bugger, I was considering putting some through the metty but (damb shame) it has a cat that I cant get rid off (against the regs)

lotusmark2 said:
Oh bugger, I was considering putting some through the metty but (damb shame) it has a cat that I cant get rid off (against the regs)

But does it have to work?

If you negate the Cat having to work the engine can be tuned for more power by leaning slightly.

Dieselman said:
ATF is kerosene based, why not just try parrafin or kerosene?

It's not kerosene based, it's a mineral oil base. Kerosene is virtually diesel. The reason I use it is because
a) It's LOADED with detergents which clean the engine (when in the oil) or fuel system - after all, any varnish which builds up on the clutches or bands of an autobox is very bad news!

b) You can put it in the engine oil and happily drive on it for 300 miles or so before changing the oil, which really cleans out the engine oilways etc.
I usually do it a couple of times, on a new (to me) car, and every time I change the oil after that. One litre of ATF, fill up with cheap engine oil, drive for a week or so and dump it. You'd be surprised how much muck it shifts, I had an old BMW which was like the Black Lagoon under the rocker cover, and no number of oil changes had really improved things. A few ATF treatments later and the inside of the head was sparkling!

I've been using the engine oil method for years now, with excellent results. First diesel I've had so I hadn't done this before, but had read a lot about it on VW forums so decided to give it a go based on the experience I've had as using it as an engine "flush" - and got top results!

Have a read, if you're a bit of an engine cleanliness obsessive like me.... :crazy:
Here

It also cleans Petrol injectors, but you use a lot less per tank. Incidentally a 50/50 mix of toluene or xylene (read- cellulose thinners) and meths is an excellent injector cleaner for petrol injectors.

I wouln't go putting ATF in the diesel on a catted car though, as mentioned.

lotusmark2 said:
has to pass an MOT though :crazy:

Only the once though, its the project car after all. Just think, nakked cat and more HP for the sprint and to pull along your frail body :rolleyes: . Now why do I feel some abuse heading my way.

Glad to hear somebody else using ATF as an engine flush and also as a fuel line cleaner.

I sling a litre into my fuel tank every 6000 miles to clean the injectors and as you say it also does a great job shifting crud from your engine internals when you mix it with your engine oil.

Will putting a litre of this in a common rail type diesel such as mine bugger it up or is it ok :confused:

Opinion varies and whilst many think that there is some beneficial effect from the high detergent content it is also quite clear that you should never, ever, put ATF into the fuel of any diesel fitted with a catalytic converter.

ATF is very heavily treated with additives and is simply not designed for combustion. It will leave metallic oxides and ash deposits which can quickly poison the Cat.

Just did the fourth oil change within a few weeks with cheap supermarket 20/50 oil and ATF. Oil is finally starting to come out clean! I think I'll give it one more go, then swap to proper oil, knowing my engine is old but clean......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom